Need Help to Optimize picture

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cursel

Original poster
Nov 20, 2005
Hello everyone

I need help to get the best picture from my dish setup since Im totally lost with the technology. Heres what I currently have:

1 dishdvr 522
Panasonic plasma 42" edtv (just bought it and love it)

The plasma has a HDMI input, an s-video input, a component video input that has 3 video inputs and 2 audio inputs and an input #1 that has only three inputs.

I dont subscribe to HD tv so would a receiver that has an HDMI output improve my picture. Right now I have 3 cables running from the 522 to the plasma (yellow, white, red). Would I be better off with an S-video cable or any suggestions? Would upgrading my reciever be beneficial (worth the cost?)

Welcome to SatelliteGuys:welcome ... Your options are limited with an SD receiver, No HDMI or Component so the S-Video connection will improve your PQ. Consider getting the Avia dvd to optimize your PQ. Best solution even though you have an ED set would be to sub to and get a HD receiver as the 1080i or 720p downrezzed will look alot better than the compressed 480i you currently get.

SimpleSimon said:
I didn't think there were any EDTVs left out there.
Look through BestBuy, CircuitCity or Ultimate Electronics and you'll see tons of them. I think alot of people are buying EDTVs thinking they are getting HDTVs. :eek:

rthomp03 said:
Look through BestBuy, CircuitCity or Ultimate Electronics and you'll see tons of them. I think alot of people are buying EDTVs thinking they are getting HDTVs. :eek:
Been there recently - checking things out for a client. Not only did I NOT see but one EDTV, even the RP CRT TVs are in short supply.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. There are a lot of EDTV's out there and they seem to be popular. Very hard to tell the difference in picture to the untrained eye. The sales rep at Video Only had my EDTV next to the Panasonic HDTV and I couldn't make out any difference in the picture. The sales rep was pointing out the differences but to my untrained eye nothing really jumped out at me. The price difference did however.

I bought the S-video cable but it didn't seem to make a difference in the pic. The pic Im getting right now is really quite good considering the receiver I have.

OK here comes the dumb question. If I upgrade to HD through the dishnetwork and dont get the reciever will I get a better pic (does a HD subscription somehow boost the signal?). Please forgive the dumb non-tech guy!!

I have had my Panasonic EDTV plasma for a couple of years now in the bedroom.
SD dish looks great on it, much better than on my 57" Hitachi HD RPTV. That is why an EDTV still makes sense for those people that want to upgrade from a CRT, but don't have alot of interest in the HD channels currently offered, especially if you can't get OTA HD networks. If you haven't already done so, go out and purchase a progressive scan DVD player, and hook it up with a component cable. You will love it. Unless the HD channels move you, like Voom etc. getting an HD receiver will give you a better picture than SD, but you will have to decide if the extra picture bump is worth the cost. Viewing a DVD on a progressive scan player will give you a little better perspective on what you might expect showing an HD signal on your EDTV. The calibration DVD AVIA is great, but I didn't find it real helpful in adjusting the picture on my EDTV, but it was indispensable on my RPTV. Don't get my wrong, HD on my 57" RPTV Hitachi blows the EDTV away, the bigger your screen is the larger the HD impact will make on you, but if you plan to watch mostly SD dish programming, networks and DVD's then you made a good choice in televisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)