Need Help Understading SWiM / Deca / Whole House DVR ETC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyover

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Columbia, MO
I just returned from another provider and had Direct TV installed on Saturday. I need some help in understanding how the Deca / SWiM and Whole house DVR work together. Let me start by explaining my Network setup. I have high speed Internet from a local cable provider. I have 15 MB service and get about 20 on a regular basis. (The fiber optic terminates at my address.) The whole house is hard wired with Cat 6. I have a router at the cable modem in a media box in the garage. Initially the tech tried to install everything at the HR34 until I objected and he decided he could install it in the media box. He put in a SWiM 4 way splitter with the SWiM power module going to the first "power port on the splitter. The second port on the splitter goes to the HR34 in the living room. Then the Deca unit on the third one and the Deca unit going to a port on my router. I've included a photo in case it helps.

DSCF1345-sm.jpg

I have some questions as as I did not know all of this was going to be installed as I previously just had my R22 hardwired into my home network. I could download movies, but I had a slow DSL connection at the time so it didn't matter that much. I've since upgraded to HD. Now I have all of this and I'm wondering if it's necessary. I currently don't have any other boxes hooked up. I got the HR34 in anticipation of getting one of the smaller units to put into the bedroom and possibly in the kitchen, but I haven't installed anything yet. Until I do, wouldn't it make sense to pull this stuff out and just go with a hardwire Cat 6 to the network connection on the HR34? For one thing the Deca box feels very warm to the touch. Not a good thing in my opinion. (Would I even need the Deca box if everything else that went in from here on had Deca internal as the HR34 is supposed to?) I could put it all back once I install another box. The other question I had was speed in downloading. Has anyone measured the speed in download from the hardwired connection into the back of the unit compared to the SWiM and Deca setup? I downloaded a movie and it seemed like it took a very long time.

I was thinking I wouldn't need any of this since I had Cat 6 running to all of the locations were I would have a box but looking at the specs on the H25NCR and the C31 (Is that even available yet?) it looks like they are made for SWiM connections only. So it looks Like I would need all of this installed when I do that if I want whole house DVR. In the mean time, any clarifying remarks, answers or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Long and short...

Deca is not required for your current setup, however it is the only supported method, plain and simple if you hook it up with Ethernet it is unsupported.

The remote units when released supposedly will require coax, it's their method of control.

Download speed, capped by direct at 6Mb, the traffic on my router coming from direct boxes stays at 6Mb and I get a consistent 22Mb.

Sidebar, 20Mb is 20 megabit per second (roughly 2 megabytes per second). 20MB is 20 megabytes per second (roughly 200 megabit). Unless you are paying about 300 a month you are on 20Mb. I hate it when I used to work support for an ISP and get people calling in complaining they weren't getting full throughput when they were confused about throughput and data rate. Sorry for that rant hopefully someone will find it useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You will probably get slightly better download speeds to your HR34 with a direct Connection to the HR34. Deca (MoCa) is limited to 85mb.

Additionally, your HR34 will act as a Deca adapter for any additional receivers added to your SWiM system, so the Deca adapter will no longer be needed. (This only works with the HR34 Not Hr24 or H24)

Enjoy your HR34 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)