Need help understanding how to get HD with my Superdish

agent007

Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
Hello to all! I have a Superdish w/2 dp34 switches w/5 receivers connected. I just purchased a dlp hd-ready video projector. I called dish to inquire about upgrading one of my receivers to hd. The rep told me that I would need an additional dish pointed at 61.5. She said I could lease a new receiver for $50 +$99 for installation. The rep sounded like she was in India. Is she correct in saying that I need an additional dish? I live in central NC. I have an additional dp300 and and a dish500 lying around. Will one of these work? I would rather not sign another year contract. How would I connect an additional dish to my current system? Thanks in advance!

They are correct. You will need a second dish pointed to either the 129 satellite or the 61.5 satellite. Since you are on the east coast that would probably be the 61.5 bird. Either of your spare dishes will work but the lnb has to be Dish Pro. You will also need a DP21 switch. What you will have to do is setup your second dish and run the cable to where the DP34 switch is located. Use the line coming out of the DP34 that feeds your HD receiver and plug that into the To Receiver port of the DP21 switch. The 61.5 satellite cable goes to Satellite 1 of the DP21 and a small cable from Satellite 2 will go to the port your receiver was on the DP34 switch. Perform a check switch on your receiver and you now have 4 satellites and HD. This will only work with a single tuner receiver. If you get a dual tuner receiver you will have to get a DPP44 switch.

New antenna required for ViP622 & MPEG4??

OK...I watched the Charlie Chat like everyone else, and I'm still confused. I've got a complete Dish HD setup now, with both a 942 and a 625 servicing the 4 TVs in my home. So when I upgrade the 942 to the 622, it sounded like they were saying I will need a new dish antenna. My question is this...which of my two antennas will they replace; my superdish or the smaller one pointing at the HD satellite? :confused:

spudmancbr954rr said:
OK...I watched the Charlie Chat like everyone else, and I'm still confused. I've got a complete Dish HD setup now, with both a 942 and a 625 servicing the 4 TVs in my home. So when I upgrade the 942 to the 622, it sounded like they were saying I will need a new dish antenna. My question is this...which of my two antennas will they replace; my superdish or the smaller one pointing at the HD satellite? :confused:

What orbital slots are you seeing right now? I would say as long as you already have 110/119 & 61.5 or 129 you should be good to go.

spudmancbr954rr said:
My question is this...which of my two antennas will they replace; my superdish or the smaller one pointing at the HD satellite?
The verbiage was "if applicable" which in your case isn't but probably the payment which covers it still is. A lot of those customers will be getting a real good deal because they will need at least a DPP44 switch added to their configuration. They need to cover that expense somehow!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts