Need HELP using DVD recorder with Dish VIP722k HD box

I want to apologize for 2 threads. My husband had requested help and I didn't see it when I also was asking for help.

I set it up using the directions from Bobby. The only problem is the audio from DVR to the DVD recorder doesn't leave me an output for the audio from the DVR to the TV.
I have to run the audio through the DVD recorder so I have to have the recorder on to get audio.

I appreciate your help.

Get two of these from Radio Shack:

4" Gold Plated Shielded Y Adapter 1 Phono Plug to Dual Jacks - RadioShack.com

Plug one into the red output and one into the white output on the DVR. Next plug the two red plugs going to the DVR and the DVD recorder into the corresponding Y adapter plugged into the red output. Do the same for the whites. That will fix your problem.

Bobby, We picked these up at Radio shack and it solved the problem. Many thanks to you and Merry Christmas!

Bobby, I read your post recently and have the same problem as the OP.

You said:

Plug one into the red output and one into the white output on the DVR. Next plug the two red plugs going to the DVR and the DVD recorder into the corresponding Y adapter plugged into the red output. Do the same for the whites. That will fix your problem.

Would you explain this in a more detail as to exactly where each connection goes? I couldn't figure out exactly where to plug in all the connections. I have a Dish 722k and a Toshiba VCR/DVD combo and want to copy from the DVR to the DVD.

Thanks.

You should be set up like this:

Yellow, Red, White from the composite output of the DVR to the DVD recorder.

Green, Blue, Red from the DVR to any of the component inputs on the TV, along with red and white audio from the DVR to the same input on the TV.

Yellow, Red, White from the output of the DVD recorder to the composite input (yellow,red, white) of the TV.

When you want to watch HD on the TV from the DVR you must change your TV input on the TV to whichever Component input you put the component cables to on the TV. To watch recordings from the DVD recorder you must change the your TV input to the composite input.

This is going to work, try it.

I want to apologize for 2 threads. My husband had requested help and I didn't see it when I also was asking for help.

I set it up using the directions from Bobby. The only problem is the audio from DVR to the DVD recorder doesn't leave me an output for the audio from the DVR to the TV.
I have to run the audio through the DVD recorder so I have to have the recorder on to get audio.

I appreciate your help.

Bobby, I read your post recently and have the same problem as the OP.

You said:

Would you explain this in a more detail as to exactly where each connection goes? I couldn't figure out exactly where to plug in all the connections. I have a Dish 722k and a Toshiba VCR/DVD combo and want to copy from the DVR to the DVD.

Thanks.

This thread is nearly 6 years old and I had to go back to refresh myself. Anyway, it's pretty clear as written.

This thread is nearly 6 years old and I had to go back to refresh myself. Anyway, it's pretty clear as written.

Sorry to bother you. Please forgive me for not quite understanding this completely.

I understand this:
"Plug one into the red output and one into the white output on the DVR".

What I don't quite understand is this:
"Next plug the two red plugs going to the DVR and the DVD recorder into the corresponding Y adapter plugged into the red output".

Exactly where do the connections go to the DVD recorder? I realize it should be a simple read, but I'm rather new at this.

Thank you.

From the Y-Adapters, the red and white cable will go the red and white input of your VCR/DVD recorder. This will give you the audio side for recording. The second red and white cable off of the Y-Adapters will go to an red and white input on your TV. This will give you audio from your 722K to the TV.

"From the Y-Adapters, the red and white cable will go the red and white input of your VCR/DVD recorder. This will give you the audio side for recording. The second red and white cable off of the Y-Adapters will go to an red and white input on your TV. This will give you audio from your 722K to the TV."

One more question:
I currently have my 722k connected to the TV via HDMI cable. Do I need to remove that cable prior to the installation of the above?

I'm not really sure! I know that the HDMI output is live as well as the component (Green, Blue, Red) and audio (Red, White) all at the same time. Perhaps you don't need the Y-Adapters at all. So, you may try this: Plug a yellow, red, white, cable into the corresponding outputs on the 722K. Now, plug the other end into the corresponding inputs of your VCR/DVD recorder. You should have a second yellow, red, white, cable that plugs into the output of your VCR/DVD with the other end plugged into a corresponding input on your TV. This should allow you to watch your regular programming on the TV when you have you TV input set to HDMI. To watch programming from the VCR/DVD you will need to change the TV input to whatever the input is that you plugged that yellow, red, white cable into. You can change the TV inputs with a button on your TV remote.

Plug a yellow, red, white, cable into the corresponding outputs on the 722K. Now, plug the other end into the corresponding inputs of your VCR/DVD recorder. You should have a second yellow, red, white, cable that plugs into the output of your VCR/DVD with the other end plugged into a corresponding input on your TV. This should allow you to watch your regular programming on the TV when you have you TV input set to HDMI. To watch programming from the VCR/DVD you will need to change the TV input to whatever the input is that you plugged that yellow, red, white cable into. You can change the TV inputs with a button on your TV remote.

SUCCESS!
Following your suggestions, I made the connections and it worked perfectly!

When I first made the connections, it didn't seem to work. However, I had forgotten to go into the VCR/DVD setup and make some minor modifications. Through trial and error in setup, it worked. I am able to copy all DVR content to DVD. Plus I can record live TV as well. This will leave the original DVR content intact until I decide to delete it. I had tentatively planned to get a DVR expander EHD, but that would only allow me to transfer (move) the DVR content to the EHD.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)