Need Help with 622 Ethernet Connection

debhoy

Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Hi. I need some help. We have a data line only through an AT&T DSL modem to our computer upstairs. I want to hook up a wireless ethernet adapter to the 622 receiver downstair, but I don't know exactly what I need.

Do I need to connect the modem to a router? If so what do brand/model do you recommend? How do I set that up?

I know the DVR is HomePlug ready (whatever that means), so what do I need to purchase? What brand/model do you recommend? How do I connect this?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I am really new at this. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find exact what I need. I just want to eliminate the $5 line charge each month.

Hi. I need some help. We have a data line only through an AT&T DSL modem to our computer upstairs. I want to hook up a wireless ethernet adapter to the 622 receiver downstair, but I don't know exactly what I need. You will need a home network.

Do I need to connect the modem to a router? Yes. If so what do brand/model do you recommend? An inexpensive one - brand is not important. How do I set that up? -- Find a friend who is computer savy or do a lot of research on the internet.

I know the DVR is HomePlug ready (whatever that means), so what do I need to purchase? -- A HomePlug unit. What brand/model do you recommend? The least expensive you can find. How do I connect this? See User's manual.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, but I am really new at this. I tried searching the forums but couldn't find exact what I need. Because you need a home network and that is not a focus here. I just want to eliminate the $5 line charge each month.

See responses bolded above.

Last edited:
Some of the DSL modems have routers built in. When I setup my Westell DSL modem, I was able to use an Ethernet switch to build my network.

Some of the DSL modems have routers built in. When I setup my Westell DSL modem, I was able to use an Ethernet switch to build my network.

I'd say that is the common case now - within the last two years I've helped several people set up DSL from a few different providers and the DSL modems they were provided with all included routers w/NAT firewalls.

This was probably done because people who were hooking up a single PC directly to the DSL modem (the ones w/no router/NAT firewall function) were getting hacked all the time and their machines were getting being turned into zombie-bots.

I'd say that is the common case now - within the last two years I've helped several people set up DSL from a few different providers and the DSL modems they were provided with all included routers w/NAT firewalls.

This was probably done because people who were hooking up a single PC directly to the DSL modem (the ones w/no router/NAT firewall function) were getting hacked all the time and their machines were getting being turned into zombie-bots.

I have had three different DSL modems over the past few years. They were all single USB or Ethernet connection and all included both NAT and Firewall which was active when connected directly to a computer. When connected to a Router the DSL the modems default to the Bridged mode and don't provide NAT or Firewall then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)