NEED HELP WITH AMC4 101.0°West

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jpinho86

Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
I got a Winegard 76cm Dish with a sadoun universal single lnbf and im trying to catch rtpi on tp freq. 12169 with a viewsat ultra fta receiver... i setup my dish to the correct setting for my area (newark nj) True Azimuth: 217.81 Dish Elevation: 35.48 LNB Angle: 27.7 My big problem is that i only get signal and no quality what so ever.... Signal level is at about 73 to 76% and never any quality.... What could it be the LNB, the settings the dish, the receiver???? All feedback is thanked for in advanced ..... :confused:

Try to aim using one of these transponders:

101 (AMC4)-11822 H 5700 or 12120 V 30000

When I use my Pansat it usually takes a long time to lock on RTP.
So I don't think that is the best transponder to align with.

Have you adjusted for magnetically corrected compass reading for the satellite? Here is the correct Aiming information from GeoSatFinder - Satellite AV

The following information is used to correctly align your satellite dish installed in NEWARK, NJ, United States to receive signal from the AMC 4 (101.0 W) satellite.

Compass Reading: 230.0 deg.
Left / Right

Example_Azimuth.jpg

Dish Elevation: 35.5 deg.
Up / Down

Example_Elevation.jpg

LNBF Rotation: +27.7 deg.
Clockwise / Counter-clockwise

Example_Skew_1LNBF.jpg

Is the LNB type set to Universal with LO 9750/10600 in the resceiver menu? LNBF rotation set 27.7 degrees Counter Clockwise (when standing in front of the dish facing the dish)? Are you slowly moving the dish left and right of the estimated compass reading by 10 - 15 degrees while watching the Quality Reading on the receiver? Is the mast perfectly plumb and level? If no signal Quality is found, increase or decrease by 1 degree and repeat.

make sure skew is set...that number seems weird compared tot he picture but if you are standing in front of the dish, turn it counterclockwise to 27

As noted above, RTPI takes a while to lock so use one of the transponders listed above...they lock quicker :)

Also signal strength just means the LNB has power. Quality is what is needed :)

hey guys thanks a lot for all the information given to me... i have tried it all but i shall try it again with those coordinates and i hope it works but i cant understand why i don't get any quality but signal i get and yes now i understand that the signal only means that the lnb is working correctly... could it be that the lnb is bad even though its brand new... again i thank you all in advanced.... :confused:

nope. When people can't get a signal they blame the LNB and 99.9999999% its NOT the LNB

Digital signal is tricky because either its there or its not. You have to make very fine movements of the dish because the receiver needs to lock on the signal. This isnt like DBS where its a quick reactor. Also the signal is weaker than DBS.

What I would do is if you have a compass see where 230 is on a compass. 225 is dead SW so its a smidge off of that. When in doubt, try a blind scan. Let the box scan and see what channels come in. Then we can go from there. If you are on a satellite (ANY satellite) and do a blind scan it will log whatever channels it finds. I did that yesterday. Was trying to find AMC3 (87W) and I couldn't...did a blind scan and found that I was on AMC9 (83W)...so I moved it a smidge to the west and boom there it was :)

Thank you!!!

iceberg thanks for all the information... I shall try the blind scan thing and with the compass to try to catch it and i will let everyone know how i make out with this project... once again i appreciate everyones input on this subject and for being nice to someone that just signed up for satelliteguys.us and that is trying to learn more about the fta world... thanks again in advanced... :)

Great News Everyone....

I got it working only after 2 hours on a roof on a friday night but i got it.... lol.... I just wanted to let everyone that helped me know that all information given was taken into considuration and used.... I also would like to say that i will never try to catch this transponder again because it is the worst.... I only got about 34% (Q) and 76% (S).... I also would like to thank everyone once again here at satelliteguys and hope to grown with everyone in this fta community.... :) :D :up

I know the Viewsat reads low but you might try and tweak that just a smidge. Try twisting the LNB a little bit to see if that fixes it :)

Otherwise good job! Always happy to see someone get it working

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)