Need help with Antenna

wernerb

Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Middletown, OH
OK, I have a Winegard Omnidirectional antenna mounted for OTA signal. Works exceptionally well, with one problem...2 channels appears to be VHF and aren't being picked up. Want to add a supplemental antenna to get those to channels specifically. Think of a SuperSonic SC-603, for price, but want to know what issues might arise by two antennas.

The Winegard needs a power injector, can't tell about the SuperSonic; how do I route the cables (different power requirements ?) Maybe not even powered ? Sorry, wish I could find manual. Is there a better reasonably priced antenna ?

Thanks.

Bill

OK, I have a Winegard Omnidirectional antenna mounted for OTA signal. Works exceptionally well, with one problem...2 channels appears to be VHF and aren't being picked up. Want to add a supplemental antenna to get those to channels specifically. Think of a SuperSonic SC-603, for price, but want to know what issues might arise by two antennas.

The Winegard needs a power injector, can't tell about the SuperSonic; how do I route the cables (different power requirements ?) Maybe not even powered ? Sorry, wish I could find manual. Is there a better reasonably priced antenna ?

Thanks.

Bill
Where are you? What stations do you want to receive? What model antenna do you have? What stations are you receiving?

Middletown OH, can't receive 9, 12 (VHF); have omnidirectional Winegard MS-2000 which picks up Dayton, Cincinnati, Kentucky (UHF), but not 9,12.

SC-603 appears to be JUNK the only review I found gave it a 1 star out of 5 star rating. According to TV Fool your VHF broadcasts are on actual channels 10 & 12. The specifications on the SC-603 are UHF only so it wouldn't do anything for you. I can't tell you what to use but I can tell you the SC-603 is out.

I would suggest a Winegard HD-1080 with a preamp might work as a fixed antenna but to pickup three different locations the Metro Star 2000 might be your best solution for a fixed antenna. Omni directional antennas usually are lacking in performance due to signals coming from many directions.

I would definitely go with a good directional antenna with a rotor. I have a winegard 9095. UHF only. I have a vu-120 radioshack for my VHF stations.

Boba, don't know where you got your info, but manufacturer's website says it does do DTV, UHF & VHF. My main question was however about how to combine two antennas with at least one using a power injector...

Thanks.

I am using 2 antennas, one UHF, one VHF, both with pre-amps. I found that if only one has a pre-amp, the signal from the other dissappears, even if the signal was strong enough for good reception with out the amplifier. Therefore, I come out of the injectors into a splitter/combiner and proceed to the TV and distribution system. Good Luck!

A nice way to combine UHF and VHF is with a UVSJ combiner, pico macom makes them. That will keep the signals seperated and help keep signal cancelation from happening between the 2 antennas. Take the output (the one that goes to the TV) from the power inserter of the UHF and connect it to the UHF port of the UVSJ and then put the VHF antenna in the VHF port. The output will be a combination of the 2 antennas that can then be distributed to the TV's.
If you wanted to do the combination closer to the antenna then you would have to split off of the amped antenna lead and put a DC blocker in the line that goes to the UVSJ to keep the power inserter voltage from going down that line and combine there as above

As was mentioned sometimes hooking up an amplified source and a non amplified source can be problems but that is usually because the amplified source is much stronger canceling out the un-amped source this may not be a problem when using the UVSJ because the 2 sources are seperated and not trying to cancel each other.

Another solution would be to get a single antenna which can do both UHF and VHF. There are some you can buy or build that would do that at a reasonable price depending on your signal strengths and what you consider reasonable price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)