need help with BSC621

Status
Please reply by conversation.

acrawf72

Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
N.Y.S.
good afternoon , i am a new kid on the block,have been playing around with manny different types of sat systems,but this new bsc621 has me in need of some help, if i may explain,i have a 7.5 mesh dish,is cableable of receiving C/KU ,i had this working,but wanted to get this bsc621,so as to hook it to the FTA,so my ????,can any one,help me with some settings,at what deg,does the dish need tobe set,or do i leave it at its setting with the old set up,i have a 24"arm for moving the dish, is there any special Sat(bird)to us,this dish is on top of my garage,so as little up and down the ladder,would help.
than you
acrawf

The dish should be set-up as it is? If you haven't had FTA and have a new receiver, you may have to tweak the dish a little, but it should be good to go, as it is? My question to you is, what are you using to move the dish? Most FTA receivers won't control an actuator, but you can get around that with a V-Box type dish mover. Or, you can use your old analog receiver to move the dish.
But, if you were already using the dish, it should at the least be close enough to get you going.....?
Good Luck..!!!!

Your dish should be set if you were using it before for C/Ku bands. Before I put a BSC621 on my 10' BUD I tuned my 4DTV receiver to a strong C band channel. I then disconnected the receiver and replaced the feedhorn with the BSC621. After all was hooked up and with a TV by my dish to monitor the signal I then fine tuned it in. I used the non scientific method which involved moving the BSC621 in or out and maybe a twist until the best signal was found on C band and then I fine tuned a little more for Ku band. It took only a couple of tweaks and it works great!!! My FTA receiver is piggybacked on to my 4DTV receiver for a positioner until installation of a dedicated BUD for FTA is finished up! I have a V Box for a positioner to install on that system when I get around to it.

Do yourself a favor and throw that BSC-621 in the trash.
Mine did good on c-band but terrible on KU. Just my experience. I hate to see people waste their money on those things.

Everyone has their own opinion based on their experience! Give the BSC621 a fair try! I bought mine on Ebay for $20 plus $9 shipping and I was not expecting too much out of it. I was hoping to watch a little something until I could afford something better because I did not have a couple hundred dollars to spend on a decent C/Ku feedhorn/lnbs at the time. On my 922 receiver a lot of programming is now on W5 C band and most channels are in the 98 to 99 range in quality!!! On my Coolsat 6000 I receive the G18 nets on Ku band in the 67 to 68 quality range which from reading the posts that is about as good as can be expected. I have a few C/Ku Corotors that recently I picked up while BUD hunting but are staying in the barn until I might need them. The BSC621 has been going strong for 2 years for me. I have it on a 10' Winegard BUD which I am not sure of the model but it is cupped a lot more than my Unimesh BUDS. I also have a smaller cousin Winegard that is also deep looking and am going to place a BSC621-2 on it and have a dedicated FTA BUD.

thank you

to all who have had some input on my question reguarding the BSC621,i thank you very much,i will have to wait till the weather gets a little better here in N.Y.S. thanks again
acrawf72:up

Maybe I got a bad unit, but I have a lot of posts on this board from earlier in the year when I set up my 10' sami. I have tuned a lot of dishes and have no problem zero-ing KU on a big dish.

My 621 just didn't perform on ku. On some stronger sats it did ok on ku, but weaker ku signals were hard to lock. I would compare ku signals up against my 7.5' sami w/Corotor II and the corotor just blew it away. With the 621 you could never get c and ku in the same place with the same f/d setting. Either way I would peak each band I would lose the other or it would be severely impaired.

I now have a dual c , dual Ku chaparall orthomode feedhorn on my 10'.
Ku and C both blast the quality meter.

I can put the 621 up there and everything takes a dive regardless of f/d tuning or skew.
I gave up on mine and it is sitting in a bucket of parts in the shed.

DMS makes so decent stuff as I have some DMSi C-band lnb's, some ku lnbf's for my smaller dishes.
V-boxes and you name it. That bsc 621 just didn't perform like I had hoped.

Maybe I got a better than normal BSC621 or perhaps the deep style Winegard BUD helps. A friend of mine also bought a BSC621 but he had no luck with it and tossed it in the barn. He does have quite the dish farm but overall his yard looks like a national park with all of the trees!!! I do not know how he can receive anything at all!!!

Out in the country where my uncle lives (out a two lane secondary road full of hills and valleys with tall mountains)...I see old C-band dishes sitting in places I know they couldn't possible have received more than 3 satellites at best back in the day.

But I guess that was better than nothing. You can't even get a good over the air signal out there without some tall tower and stacked arrays of antennas.

You should see where some of them have their pizza dishes.

They put them on tall 6x6 posts, steel pipes w/ guy wires, you name it.
I would hate to live somewhere like that.

I am lucky I can see from 43W to 148W here.
I also get 100% signal on my digital over the air channels here too.

I am lucky I can see from 43W to 148W here.
I also get 100% signal on my digital over the air channels here too.

I can get from 30W to 148W here.
Still waiting for a digital OTA signal to pop up in my area. If I had a 50' tower I should get Marquette, MI or with a 150' I might get Duluth,MN. I guess I need to wait for a few years till they shut off the Canadian NTSC signals. :( Or esle move to somewhere like Fort Francis or Sault Ste. Marie.

It's kind of funny, everybody I know here is worried about the DTV switch over from watching US channels on cable or satellite and they think that they need a new TV. It's at least 2 years till the switch over here and most people think there TV's won't work in Feb, even though they have cable or satellite. :rolleyes:

Ft Frances doesnt have any digital TV signals yet...they have low powered stations. Only full powered is CBC repeater

All of our stations have been full power digital for over a year. I think they ran on low power digital the year before that. We still have analog - I guess until the cut off date.
My first digital tv receiver was one of those US Digital tv boxes from wallmart.
It has a slot for an access card.

It works fine as a DTV receiver. It has componet outputs for HDTV 1080i.
As well it will down res to 480i for standard tv's.

I paid 200.00 for it 3 years ago.

Ok guys, i just got my 10ft'r setup and pointed to my southern bird (91... G17)
I've got a BSC621 mounted on it. I string tested the dish. Also used the strings as cross-hairs to look down the opening of the scalar and made sure it was perfectly centered.
I didn't check for f/d, I just slid the BSC621 in place a snugged it down. Figured I would be up and down trying to get it tuned... however...
I plugged it in to my Coolsat 6000 and immediately got signal. I blindscanned and I'm getting Jewelry TV at 97 quality. Also reading way high quality on all the other channels.
Now, here's the deal... I didn't even try to guess at a skew adjustment when I slid the feedhorn in. I know that there's no way it could be correct... unless I have hit a one in a heptillion chance (in which case I better buy a lottery ticket... fast).
Is there a way with the coolsat to verify the skew of the BSC621? I'm guessing that it adjusts itself or something, but figured i'd throw it to the experts here...

That helps... I'll check tomorrow, but I don't recall seeing the arrow on it. There was a degree scale that was 30...0...30, so i would guess the arrow would be where the 0 is...
But... like I said, I'll check it in the daylight.
Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts