Need Help With DSR922 and BSC621

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Zeugitai

Original poster
Apr 3, 2007
A year ago I moved out into the country and got an old 10' mesh dish working with a Chapparal feedhorn with separate LNBs and a servo motor for skew. I didn't know what I was doing, still don't, but I got it to work with the Motorola DSR922 4DTV receiver. All was well until a month ago when the Ku band faded out. I got the DMS BSC621 c/Ku LNBF and now I can hardly get anything--half the C Band channels I used to get and none of teh Ku Band. I'm confused. And why does this new LNBF have no servo motor for skew? Did I buy the wrong piece of equipment for my receiver? I can't find any "22Khz switch." I hope I'm not out of line asking this question here. I sure hope someone can give me something to go on. I'm stumped. Plugging in that dielectric plate in either of the two orientations doesn't seem to change anything. :(

You would have been better off getting a new Norsat or Cal amp lnb for you feed horn, thats the good thing with a feedhorn you can change a bad lnb or upgrade them to quality ones anytime.

The lnbf will work but you need to hook it up properl, C-band goes to the rcv output and ku-band goes to the output on the back of the lnbf if I am not mistaken.

You will need to set the 4dtv to c/ku lnbf's, and it works best when set to rotate 90 deg for some reason, there are no marking on this lnbf to set properly so you need to play with it outside till postioned best.

DSR922 and BSC621 not cooperating

Yes, well, I thought the convenience of having two new LNBs for the price of one new Ku Band LNB...and I had heard people talking in this group about the good performance of the BSC621... you know how that goes. The feedhorn that was up there was "legacy" -- there since I moved in and probably old...

Anyway, I done dun it. When I made the switch yesterday, I was on G1, and I can still pick up G1-Ch.5 Arts Showcase, and I get several of the HBOs at G1-Ch.100 through Ch.114, but I've lost almost all the programs on all the other satellites. Dish alignment is not a question. It was fine before I switched the LNBs.

And although I guess I need to insert this dielectric plate, when I do, I lose those HBOs, too... it's puzzling. The "manual" (laff) says to set the band switching on the receiver, but I don't see any option anywhere for setting band switching to or from 22KHz.

Are there any BUDders out there who use this same equipment? That would be ideal if you could tell me what I have overlooked. I'm using skyvision programming and have channels on G1-C3-G5-T5-T6-W1- and I was getting TVLand on Ku/x4 Ch.603 (36N, -90W)

The BSC621 has alignment markings on it like notches going from zero to plus or minus thirty. How should that be aligned? Is it really the only way to stand on a ladder out there pushing and pulling the LNBF while my poor wife shouts out changes in signal strength, or do most people use a meter out there? Will the meter give continuous changes or just go/no go?

If this "newby crashes into a wall" kind of post belongs elsewhere, please let me know. :confused:

You would have been better off getting a new Norsat or Cal amp lnb for you feed horn, thats the good thing with a feedhorn you can change a bad lnb or upgrade them to quality ones anytime.

The lnbf will work but you need to hook it up properl, C-band goes to the rcv output and ku-band goes to the output on the back of the lnbf if I am not mistaken.

You will need to set the 4dtv to c/ku lnbf's, and it works best when set to rotate 90 deg for some reason, there are no marking on this lnbf to set properly so you need to play with it outside till postioned best.

Selecting c/ku lnbf's will do the switching on 4dtv, the feed may not be set up good, since it's a lnbf you must set it in the good position for v and h to come in, and do not use the plate that is for circular and you are trying to get linear.

DSR922 and BSC621 - making progress

Okay, thanks a lot. That's got me into the ballpark. Rotating the LNBF a few degrees brought in most of the C Band things I used to get. I have the receiver set to "C-Band and Ku-Band LNBFs." This makes the old skew parameter disappear. However, I can't raise a response from Ku Band (I just want X4). Any Ku satellite gives me a signal strength of ten and quality of one making me think there's a mechanical problem. I have the short cable connected between the top of the LNBF to the "LNB" terminal. I used to get X4,:( and X4 603 is FTA and should be there, but ... nothing.

Selecting c/ku lnbf's will do the switching on 4dtv, the feed may not be set up good, since it's a lnbf you must set it in the good position for v and h to come in, and do not use the plate that is for circular and you are trying to get linear.

Switch between C and Ku?

Oops. I forgot to ask: Is there anything I need to do to go between C and Ku? I'm getting C Band things well now (rotated LNBF) but no signal strength at all from Ku and I wonder if I need to switch something to change from C to Ku.

The LNBF you have is suppose to carry both C band and Ku band on a single coax, switching between them with a 22 khz signal. Unfortunately, the DSR922 is not set up to operate that way. The unit has no capability to send a 22 khz signal and if you want to receive a Ku signal you have to connect the coax to the Ku input connector. The only possible way to salvage using the LNBF (and this is not a guarantee so try at your own risk) is to reconnect the cable you took off from the old Ku LNB, install it on the Ku connector on the new LNBF. That way you have one cable to/from the C band LNBF/receiver and the other cable to/from the Ku band LNBF/receiver. Good luck.

You need to use both coax cables with this lnbf, like I mentioned above the C-band goes to the RCV and the Ku-band goes to the no name output on the rear of the lnbf, these are direct runs to the 4dtv, you do not need the cable that came with the lnbf or the plate.

Also make sure you have the model BSC621.

The model BSC621-2 will not work with 4dtv.

Many thanks. I will go out and do that now. From the sound of it, it'll work. I hope, I hope ...

Well, I got X4, but only half of it. I get Ch.603 with quality 81, but cannot get Ch.602 at all (TVLand). I have been out there rotating the feedhorn a couple degrees this way and couple degrees that way, to no effect. Don't want to go too far either way and lose C-Band signal strength. Am I right in thinking that this is a rotational matter? I have the DSR922 set to 90 degrees because it didn't work at all (no X4 Ch.603) on standard.

Most probably it's not in the right position, try going back to c-band c4 channel 9 and 10 make sure both channels are coming in clear then select standard on the 4dtv, rotate the lnbf until you loss both channels tighten the lnbf in place then rotate the 4dtv back to 90 deg the channels should work, go take a look at x4 and see if it works.

LNBF rotational voodoo

I will try it. I don't know what else to do! Thanks.

Most probably it's not in the right position, try going back to c-band c4 channel 9 and 10 make sure both channels are coming in clear then select standard on the 4dtv, rotate the lnbf until you loss both channels tighten the lnbf in place then rotate the 4dtv back to 90 deg the channels should work, go take a look at x4 and see if it works.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)