Need Help with Galaxy 19 @ 97 degree West

Status
Please reply by conversation.

guy FTA

Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
AZ
I have a 30" dish installed for years to receive international FTA channels however, some of the channels signals are week and its very annoying for me to try to re-align the dish every few days Therefore, I started looking to buy a larger dish ( 1 meter = about 39") thinking I will get a better signal therefore better reception.

I talked to a guy who wanted to sell me a Direct TV Dish (elliptical) that said will get better signal and will receive galaxy 19 channels.

Anyone can confirm this ? would a Direct TV dish & LNB work for me? a link to info also would be great

Thanks in advance

Thanks Brent

The guy told me that Direct TV LNB supposedly better than my FTA one !!! I have doubt about that .. can he be correct?

it seems the best way to go is to buy the 1 meter dish because I don't want to waste money on unproven equipment

Thanks Brent

The guy told me that Direct TV LNB supposedly better than my FTA one !!! I have doubt about that .. can he be correct?

it seems the best way to go is to buy the 1 meter dish because I don't want to waste money on unproven equipment

Get the 1 meter if shipping is ok. Otherwise you should be fine with just a 90CM. Something like $95 delivered from one of the sponsors.

Do you have something in the way that is forcing you to realign all the time? My dish hasn't been touched in 1.5 years and 97°W is working quite well.

What LNBF, cabling , receiver etc are you using?

I have a 30" dish installed for years to receive international FTA channels however, some of the channels signals are week and its very annoying for me to try to re-align the dish every few days Therefore, I started looking to buy a larger dish ( 1 meter = about 39") thinking I will get a better signal therefore better reception.

I talked to a guy who wanted to sell me a Direct TV Dish (elliptical) that said will get better signal and will receive galaxy 19 channels.

Anyone can confirm this ? would a Direct TV dish & LNB work for me? a link to info also would be great

Thanks in advance

Guy,

I have a 76cm Winegard dish that is motorized. That is basically a 30" dish. I am using an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF and a Coolsat 5000 receiver. I get 97W just fine all the time, one of my hottest birds. Signal quality 97-98% on most TPs/channels.

I am in the Omaha, Nebraska area, which is an extremely hot location for this sat according to SatCoDX EIRP chart/map.

Where are you located in relation to the footprint map? Have you looked at SatCoDX and their footprint maps before? That may help you with your decision.

I cannot imagine that a DirecTV dish and LNBF could be better than what I am using. Maybe the person who wanted to sell you the equipment woud install it for free and let you try it for a month before you buy! Ha ha! I would be a little leary of that sales pitch, which is what I think it is. That person may not realize that you are working with FTA signals. He may think you want DirecTV subscription channels from 99W DirecTV 11.

Radar

I live in Phoenix, Arizona obviously, very hot... Also, I don't have any obstructions in front the dish ( BTW: I am previous Primestar installer .. way back then for few years...)...

As far signal quality I am at the same range that "radar" mentioned however, my signal strength on some channels keeps dipping below 87 which is the threshold # for my receiver for the signal to start cutting off ... my receiver believe is " Star Cruiser" not sure what model since I am typing this message away from home.

Radar ... about the heat ... how is that an issu

From reading the replies here, I thought at first that the G19 bird might be drifting, but if others say that they've had it set up for a while and get G19 well, then G19 is not the problem. What about the other sats that you receive? Do you have to realign every few days with the other sats too? If so, could it be that the motor mechanisim might not be properly secured to the mounting mast or the motor somehow might be defective? A gentle breeze is all it takes to move the dish out of place. Just a thought.

From reading the replies here, I thought at first that the G19 bird might be drifting, but if others say that they've had it set up for a while and get G19 well, then G19 is not the problem. What about the other sats that you receive? Do you have to realign every few days with the other sats too? If so, could it be that the motor mechanisim might not be properly secured to the mounting mast or the motor somehow might be defective? A gentle breeze is all it takes to move the dish out of place. Just a thought.

A gentle breeze? I hope that is not the case. I have had my dish up for around 3 years and we have had some pretty wild winds here, and thankfully, my dish has remained rock solid. It's on the ground, and I've never had to re-align it yet.

My DTV dish is a 3 LNB variety and it on my roof and I have never had to have it realigned either. Used to have a single if I'm not mistaken, (it was here when we bought the house) and I wanted CCTV 9 which was on a different satellite, and the nice CSR sent someone out to give me a whole new dish when I asked for that channel. It's free with my plan, but, needed the 3 LNB dish to see it. That dish has never needed realignment either.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona obviously, very hot... Also, I don't have any obstructions in front the dish ( BTW: I am previous Primestar installer .. way back then for few years...)...

As far signal quality I am at the same range that "radar" mentioned however, my signal strength on some channels keeps dipping below 87 which is the threshold # for my receiver for the signal to start cutting off ... my receiver believe is " Star Cruiser" not sure what model since I am typing this message away from home.

Radar ... about the heat ... how is that an issu

Guy,

By HOT SPOT I was referring to the best reception area, the area indicated on the EIRP chart map to be the best area to get the signal from that satellite.

Radar

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)