Need help with Hopper with Sling installation

srcronk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 12, 2008
Monroe, LA - El Dorado, AR
I'm upgrading from two VIP722 units to the HWS and a Joey. The technician was here about 3 hours unsuccessfully before leaving for his next job.

Here's the problem: the hopper unit is stuck on the "step 2 of 6 screen", where it is downloading the hopper and joey software. The technician observed that it was taking much longer to get through this step than any other customer he's installed for. He has tried replacing the hopper box, the node, and the line into the box. At this time, the hopper has been stuck on this screen for about 70 minutes. When the technician left (with my permission) for his next install, he was hopeful that the box would get through the download if left alone.

I see from other postings that many customers have experienced waits longer than 20 minutes, at least for the original hopper. What's the longest anyone had to wait before successfully moving through the rest of the installation?

Also, the technician said that hoppers are a little more sensitive to the line voltage than other units. If I remember correctly, he said the magic range is 118V +/- 3V. He measured my outlet, and read 122.7V. Would this cause the hangup? If so, will a voltage regulator help?

The technician should be checking back with me later this evening, and I'm hoping to help him find the answers we need. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Is this on EA or WA? Acceptable line voltage is 120v +/- 5% (114-126 volts.)

Did he run a factory defaults/check switch?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks for the quick response. I have EA locals and WA HD.

I don't think he ran anything that's not part of a routine install.

So you have 110/119/129/61.5?

If so, I have read of people having issues with that setup during the initial install. Try removing the 61.5 connection, run a check switch, and allow the software to download. After it's done downloading, you can reconnect 61.5 and rerun the check switch. Everything should operate normally after that.

Agree with Halo. Must disconnect wing dish before starting setup. Some techs have reported the hopper being doa even after trying it over again. Do it right the first time! Lol

Thanks, Halo and jawxx! The wing dish was indeed the problem. I'm not sure why, but the technician cut the wire instead of performing a simple disconnect. I'm without HD locals until he can make it back on Thursday, but the rest of the system seems to work fine.

I appreciate the suggestions. I told the technician what a great resource this forum is.

Any particular reason you are using that setup? No LOS to 72.7? Also, kinda weird that the installer cut the line instead of disconnecting.

Thanks, Halo and jawxx! The wing dish was indeed the problem. I'm not sure why, but the technician cut the wire instead of performing a simple disconnect. I'm without HD locals until he can make it back on Thursday, but the rest of the system seems to work fine.

I appreciate the suggestions. I told the technician what a great resource this forum is.

I had a problem similar to this about four years ago, around the time Eastern Arc came along. I was running with 110, 118.7, 119, and wing Dish 61.5. My HD local timers started to go crazy, would not record, timers disappeared, etc. Called Dish numerous times and they turned the issue over to the Dish technicians. They promised to call me back when problem was figured out or at least update me. Well, oh well, never mine. MikeD-C05 from my home state, the great state of Texas figured out the problem. With the new EA coming on line Dish started to duplicate programs and the locals so they would be on EA and WA in my area. I disconnected 61.5 and connected 129 in its place, problem disappeared. I think boba has a good point. If you can get everything you want go with a 1000.2 Eastern Arc all the way. It appears to me the Hopper does not like a blending of both EA and WA. You did not answer 3HaloODST on what birds you are receiving now. You said installer cut the wire, what wire did he cut? You said HD locals are on WA, if he cut 61.5 and you don’t receive them now your HD locals must be on EA. Check The List and see where your HD locals are coming from. Maybe they are on two different satellites now. Things are always changing. http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworksatellitemap When Dish installer comes back you can ask him why not EA or WA all the way. I have heard that WA is better than EA, if so I don’t know why. Good luck and keep us posted.

I had a problem similar to this about four years ago, around the time Eastern Arc came along. I was running with 110, 118.7, 119, and wing Dish 61.5. My HD local timers started to go crazy, would not record, timers disappeared, etc. Called Dish numerous times and they turned the issue over to the Dish technicians. They promised to call me back when problem was figured out or at least update me. Well, oh well, never mine. MikeD-C05 from my home state, the great state of Texas figured out the problem. With the new EA coming on line Dish started to duplicate programs and the locals so they would be on EA and WA in my area. I disconnected 61.5 and connected 129 in its place, problem disappeared. I think boba has a good point. If you can get everything you want go with a 1000.2 Eastern Arc all the way. It appears to me the Hopper does not like a blending of both EA and WA. You did not answer 3HaloODST on what birds you are receiving now. You said installer cut the wire, what wire did he cut? You said HD locals are on WA, if he cut 61.5 and you don’t receive them now your HD locals must be on EA. Check The List and see where your HD locals are coming from. Maybe they are on two different satellites now. Things are always changing. http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?page=dishnetworksatellitemap When Dish installer comes back you can ask him why not EA or WA all the way. I have heard that WA is better than EA, if so I don’t know why. Good luck and keep us posted.

I didn't mean to ignore any responses; I thought that by saying EA for locals and WA for everything else, that was sufficient information. I believe I have 110, 119, and 129 through WA and 61.5 through the wing dish on EA.

The wire that the technician cut was the one running to the wing dish that provided the HD locals. Did I say that the HD locals were off WA? I apologize; I meant to say EA for the HD locals and WA for everything else.

The points about going with one system or the other make sense. As I recall, I was running WA exclusively until perhaps last summer, when the HD locals suddenly disappeared. Through this forum, I found that the HD locals had been switched to EA through 61.5, and that new installs for the area would be EA only. I immediately made arrangements for a technician to come out to fix the problem. I had assumed that I would be switched completely to EA, but the technician said that he didn't have the new dishes yet, so he just set up a wing dish to get the HD locals through 61.5.

My technician yesterday agreed with those of you that suggested I should be running just one setup or the other, and has promised to come out tomorrow (on his day off!) to remove the wing dish setup and to put me exclusively on EA. He tells me that in this area, they now use LOS as the determining factor for new installs, though customers that have to use WA don't get HD locals. He says that most customers don't care, which I can believe.

To me, the SD picture quality seems better than with the Vip711, but there is still a substantial difference between HD and SD.

I didn't mean to ignore any responses; I thought that by saying EA for locals and WA for everything else, that was sufficient information. I believe I have 110, 119, and 129 through WA and 61.5 through the wing dish on EA.

The wire that the technician cut was the one running to the wing dish that provided the HD locals. Did I say that the HD locals were off WA? I apologize; I meant to say EA for the HD locals and WA for everything else.

The points about going with one system or the other make sense. As I recall, I was running WA exclusively until perhaps last summer, when the HD locals suddenly disappeared. Through this forum, I found that the HD locals had been switched to EA through 61.5, and that new installs for the area would be EA only. I immediately made arrangements for a technician to come out to fix the problem. I had assumed that I would be switched completely to EA, but the technician said that he didn't have the new dishes yet, so he just set up a wing dish to get the HD locals through 61.5.

My technician yesterday agreed with those of you that suggested I should be running just one setup or the other, and has promised to come out tomorrow (on his day off!) to remove the wing dish setup and to put me exclusively on EA. He tells me that in this area, they now use LOS as the determining factor for new installs, though customers that have to use WA don't get HD locals. He says that most customers don't care, which I can believe.

To me, the SD picture quality seems better than with the Vip711, but there is still a substantial difference between HD and SD.

OK, understand. That should fix you right up with everything on EA. Hope the install goes good for you.

One advantage I can see to the 61.5/110/119/129 setup over just 61.5/72.7 is HD and SD locals. Other than that 61.5/72.7 will provide you with everything you need.

Yup. Same thing can also be accomplished with 110/61.5/72.7.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Switchover to EA went smoothly. The signal strengths for each satellite hover between 47 and 53. They were only around 40 after the installation, but we were experiencing light rain, and even then I didn't notice any signal degradation.

Once more, thank you to everyone who responded.

Switchover to EA went smoothly. The signal strengths for each satellite hover between 47 and 53. They were only around 40 after the installation, but we were experiencing light rain, and even then I didn't notice any signal degradation.

Glad it all worked out for your.

Is that on an EA.2 (61.5/72 only?)

Yes, we can only access 61.5 and 72 now. Setup still seems to be working fine.

Yep 77 doesn't have anything other than a few locals and Spanish stuff. I was mainly wondering about what kind of dish it is, looks like he put an EA.2 LNB on your 1000.2 and repointed. Good signal strength numbers!