Need Help with International Dish Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

veshman

Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster and could use some help regarding options.

I have a triple LNB dish that I got when I signed up for HD DirecTV. That goes into a multiswitch that gives me 8 feeds.

When DirecTV came out with the international channels for India (MTV Desi, Zee TV, etc), I signed up for it.

The installers came out 4 times and never installed the international dish because they said it was too big and couldn't be screwed into the brick. They said I needed a "sled mount". Then they said I couldn't use a sled mount, etc...every time someone came, it was a different person, and no one really seemed credible.

Question is this: Can I just use a second 18" round dual-LNB dish pointed in a different direction to get the international channels, and then combine that with my current dish to get the signal down?

I'm really new at this part of it, so any help would be very much appreciated. What can I do to get these international channels. I don't really want to waste another day with the DirecTV installers.

Thanks,

Bhavesh Patel

Well Mr. Patel, you can probably resolve the issues that you have, by calling a Professional Satellite Installation Firm, and have them install the 2nd dish for you... Look up your Local DirecTV Dealer, which I'm sure you wish you would have done in the first place... Good Luck...

snooty

Well, Mr. Bob, thank you for your enlightening response.

Firstly, since I assumed DirecTV would send out "professional" installers, I'm not sure why I would have called a "Professional Satellite Installation Firm" ... "in the first place".

Secondly, I did talk with one other non-DirectTV "professional" installation group, who was not familiar with the international dish request I have.

Therefore, I decided to post on this website to look for some information to get educated.

So, do you actually have any knowledge you could pass on, Mr. Bob, or should I just continue playing satellite installation roulette? After all, I did ask a *very specific* question about the possibility of adding a second 18" dish (which is already mounted) pointed in a different direction and combining it with the signal from the first dish.

I thought this was a knowledge exchange type of site. Was I wrong?

Bhavesh

vesh,

first off dr bob is a good man.

second, no you cant use an 18 round dish for the 95 bird

the correct dish for adding a dish to an existing setup is to add the 30 inch winegard dish and it is ka band.

also the non-penetrating mount is called a skid mount, not a sled mount.

Well Mr. Patel,

I am a Professional Installer, and I don't give away trade secrets, so I thought that since you needed real help, I would suggest a "Local Dealer/Installation Tech, that could save you a lot of money and time... Sorry I was not as helpful as you thought I should be, but that's all the help I'm willing to offer... God Bless you, and good luck...

Doctor Bob

You are entitled to run your business any way you want, and you obviously are, but your comments and your "signature" are in conflict.

"I don't give away trade secrets...that's all the help I'm willing to offer"

"Looking out for the Little Guy"

Doesn't sound like it to me. I have run into people like you before when I was looking for help with whatever problem I had at the time and I swore that if I had to call in a professional, they would NEVER get my business, because of their attitude.

Just my 2 cents.

veshman

first off, welcome :wave to Satelliteguys. Sorry you were treated this way.

secondly, Bob's cookie cutter answer is "have a professional come out" for everything...gee, wonder why? :) Obvioulsy he missed the point that you've had installers out there to install the dish and couldn't.

Let me help you with the answer...
You cannot use a 18" dish for the Internationals. The satellite those are on is lower powered than the standard DirecTV satellites (110, 101, 119). You need at least a 30" dish and a KU band LNB. The DirecTV dish Int'l dish I think is 33-36" but a 30" is the minimum dish size.

So if you wanted to build your own, you wouold need the following
-30" or larger dish
-KU band LNB (lots of times these are a package deal)
-a 6x8 multiswitch (need to have the "flex" ports in it for the Int'l)

Depending on your roof, a different mount may be needed. A skid mount, sled mount, whatever you want to call it would work fine if you had a flat roof or a ground spot to put it. Why couldnt they put the dish in the ground?

Thanks!

Hi, thanks everyone. Iceberg, thank you for your warm welcome to satelliteguys. Also, thank you very much for making it clear exactly what I need to get the international dish installed.

I do have a flat roof which is why the original installer said I needed a skid/sled mount. The subsequent installers brought the wrong equipment, and the final installer said that my rooftop could not take a skid/sled mount.

The rooftop has a hollow brick type ledge and they said the wind would catch the dish and rip it out.

As far as mounting to the ground, since I live in Chicago in a condo, there really isn't the real estate for that.

It sounds like I should realistically be able to get this done, however. Do you know where I can buy a skid mount?

Thanks again,

Bhavesh

95 is linear (H/V). the transponder DirecTv uses is 11990 (freq) H polarity 20000 symbol rate.

The dish that Direct uses (the 36" with the 2 LNB's) works really good for free to air :)

sheridan said:
Doctor Bob

You are entitled to run your business any way you want, and you obviously are, but your comments and your "signature" are in conflict.

"I don't give away trade secrets...that's all the help I'm willing to offer"

"Looking out for the Little Guy"

Doesn't sound like it to me. I have run into people like you before when I was looking for help with whatever problem I had at the time and I swore that if I had to call in a professional, they would NEVER get my business, because of their attitude.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, thanx for the
uzi.gif
Job... RONTGLMAO....

The Little guy we look out for, is not the self absorbed Consumer, but rather the Installation Tech, that just wants to do a great job and get paid for the work.... But I can understand some of you folks wanting to do your own work, and that is OK too... LOL

When you call a real Pro, (not the HSP installers) you get Professional results, and we resolve all of the issues that the Consumer has, not just some of them... We don't leave the work site, until we complete the job, and our Clients and Customers are very satisfied with our work.

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, you just took it that way... If you enjoy going up on the roof yourself, as well as running your own cable, then that is fine, but don't expect the Pro to tell you, or show you how to do it... Would you tell me how to do your business, and help me take your work or job away from you???

My intention is not to insult or be sarcastic, so if you are taking it that way, then that is your personal problem, not mine... LOL

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, you just took it that way... If you enjoy going up on the roof yourself, as well as running your own cable, then that is fine, but don't expect the Pro to tell you, or show you how to do it... Would you tell me how to do your business, and help me take your work or job away from you???

Thank god you don't spew this same crap in the FTA area. I assume then you hire a professional for everything you do then, huh Bob?

If you have a drippy faucet do you call a plumber to replace your faucet? I sure as heck don't. I do it myself. If you need to put in a garge door opener, do you call a professional? I guess if you have absolutelly no clue you would, but most of us would install our own.

In the FTA area, we help people get set up regardless of skill level. We don't use the "oh call a professional to do it" right away. We help them out. Yeah it can get frustrating at times, but I guess we have the menality to LEARN about stuff. Thats why most of us are here. To help out everyone with the knowledge someone knows. When I first got my Dish Network or Free to air system, I asked for help. Did people say "oh call a professional". NO. They helped me through it and I learned so much. If someone had installed my system and a month down the road it didn't work I'd would have been lost until the person had come back out and taken more money from me and I still wouldn't have learned anything.

Sorry, but I'd rather LEARN how to do stuff then just let someone who claims to be a professional to do it. Hell, I've gone to people's houses and installed dishes for them because they ASKED me to help them. When I go out there, I dont just aim it and say "there ya go" I show them the tricks of the trade and what they need to do if something happens.

That's what makes Satelliteguys the best...people helping people :)

Oh and by the way....I do enjoy installing my own dishes and running my own cable because I know what to do if somethihng happens. Pretty sad when other installers I've worked with will SHOW you how to do stuff.

Iceberg said:
Thank god you don't spew this same crap in the FTA area. I assume then you hire a professional for everything you do then, huh Bob?

As a matter of fact, I do Iceberg!!! And it' OK that you do things yourself, but that is not the norm, and 80% of the people in the world will also call the Pro... So does that make 80% of the people in the world stupid, as you would have us believe???

If you have a drippy faucet do you call a plumber to replace your faucet? I sure as heck don't. I do it myself. If you need to put in a garge door opener, do you call a professional? I guess if you have absolutelly no clue you would, but most of us would install our own.

In the FTA area, we help people get set up regardless of skill level. We don't use the "oh call a professional to do it" right away. We help them out. Yeah it can get frustrating at times, but I guess we have the menality to LEARN about stuff. Thats why most of us are here. To help out everyone with the knowledge someone knows. When I first got my Dish Network or Free to air system, I asked for help. Did people say "oh call a professional". NO. They helped me through it and I learned so much. If someone had installed my system and a month down the road it didn't work I'd would have been lost until the person had come back out and taken more money from me and I still wouldn't have learned anything.

And it is also OK, that some of you are so helpful to a lot of the Hobby folks, but just because you do, doesn't mean that everybody has to, and it also doesn't mean that the big bad Iceberg is always right either...

Sorry, but I'd rather LEARN how to do stuff then just let someone who claims to be a professional to do it. Hell, I've gone to people's houses and installed dishes for them because they ASKED me to help them. When I go out there, I dont just aim it and say "there ya go" I show them the tricks of the trade and what they need to do if something happens.

I'm so proud of you Iceberg, but just because you are foolish enough to go out and do work for free, doesn't mean that everybody else should follow you off of the Cliff!!! LOL

That's what makes Satelliteguys the best...people helping people :)

Oh and by the way....I do enjoy installing my own dishes and running my own cable because I know what to do if somethihng happens. Pretty sad when other installers I've worked with will SHOW you how to do stuff.

Again, it is wonderful that you like installing your own stuff, but what do you do for a living Iceberg??? Answer that question, and then ask youself this one question!!!

One Question: Am I willing to show someone else how to take my work away, and give up my job, just to be a nice guy????

So now Iceberg, what is it that you do for a living???

" One Question: Am I willing to show someone else how to take my work away, and give up my job, just to be a nice guy???? "

I can't speak for others who are here asking questions, but I am NOT in the business nor do I want to do it for a living. I just want to take care of my own system. So am I taking work away from you? NO! Why? Because I would not call a "professional" in for this. So you aren't losing anything. You see a problem with this that some others apparently don't.

Ther are some things I do call a professional in for, such as having my entire HVAC replaced 1 year ago.

And if you came to me for help with something I am knowledgeable about, I would give it as long as I had the time. But then that's me. I don't have your attitude.

just a question for you guys.

do any of you know who dr. bob is??

i know him and we speak, but we have also sparred a lot of times.

and scott g , dont give it away, please.

well since I obviously aggravated you with my response (god forbid help someone here out), let me answer ya. (and I dont feel the need to use a different font in every post I make to make it look good.) catch my drift here??

I'm so proud of you Iceberg, but just because you are foolish enough to go out and do work for free
funny how you ASSUME I do stuff for free. If someone wants to pay me, then they are more than welcome to. If they don't, oh well.
Its more than just going to someone's house ot aim a dish, I have met a lot of interesting people by helping them out. Unlike you, I am not here just for the money. I am here to help.

Again, it is wonderful that you like installing your own stuff, but what do you do for a living Iceberg??? Answer that question, and then ask youself this one question!!!

One Question: Am I willing to show someone else how to take my work away, and give up my job, just to be a nice guy????

So now Iceberg, what is it that you do for a living???

If you really want to know......I am a Telecom consultant. I work for a consulting firm and part of my job is to work with the new employees.

Bob sewriously, why do you feel the need to post if everything is the same thing "hire a professional". If I need a professional to help me, I know where there is one. :)

sheridan said:
I can't speak for others who are here asking questions, but I am NOT in the business nor do I want to do it for a living. I just want to take care of my own system. So am I taking work away from you? NO! Why? Because I would not call a "professional" in for this. So you aren't losing anything. You see a problem with this that some others apparently don't.
very well put! It feels good to take care of your won system.

Ther are some things I do call a professional in for, such as having my entire HVAC replaced 1 year ago.
so true. I just had my HVAC worked on the other day. I called a local HVAC guy.

And if you came to me for help with something I am knowledgeable about, I would give it as long as I had the time. But then that's me. I don't have your attitude.
I love giving out pointers to help people. As I said above, I guess I'm not in only for the $$

dragon002 said:
just a question for you guys.

do any of you know who dr. bob is??

i know him and we speak, but we have also sparred a lot of times.

and scott g , dont give it away, please.

Scott doesnt need to give it away....
he owns his own installation company. I ain't that god damn stupid. Cripes he's advertising it in his signature (which by the way commercial advertising is NOT allowed in signatures)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)