Need Help with International Dish Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
dragon002 said:
berg, you really dont know? i thought you did.
if I dont know, do you think I really care?? The way he responds with his sarcastic childish remarks, hell he may be work in a day care.

and he knows scott and i think his sig was ok'd
sorry. It isn't. Signatures for commercial businesses are prohibited. Thats been the rule for a long time now.

and I say again...lets get it back on topic :)

The only problem with your posts Iceberg, is that you find it necessary to belittle or try to intimate people just because they are in business. and as rough as some of these post get, don't use the Lords name in vein, and grow up young man...

whatever.....I am giving them an option :)
The OP asked a question and I gave them a couple options on how to do it. The person doesnt need to follow my advice but just saying "call an installer" may not be the best option for them.

Last edited:
Great, everybody needs an option
thumbs-up10.gif

Now, onward and upward!!! May God Save the Queen!!!

Hey guys, I just want to say thanks one more time. Berg, I really appreciate the information regarding what my options are, and helping me to understand satellites and signals for international programming. Dragon, I also appreciate your help as well. And sheridan, I can't agree with you more on your posts.

I was hoping this topic wouldn't degenerate, but now that it has gone off topic, I just have to comment a little.

While I understand that "Doc" might not want to share his precious "trade secrets" with the common person for his own financial well being, I just have to say that we are waaaay beyond the dark ages, dude, where information was kept secret and passed on from person to person in secret. In the age of the internet, everyone benefits from being more knowledgeable. Knowledge wants to be free. It always has. But you can hold on to yours.

What I don't understand is why you bother to post at all. You live all the way in California. I'm in Chicago. You are not going to be my technician anyway. If you cared so much about your field of "installation business", why didn't you recommend someone in my area, or help me figure out how to find a good installer (e.g. which questions to ask, what to look under in the phone book, a link to your satellite installation provider community (you did just go to the expo last year, right?)). Something that could actually help. But your post was 100% useless, except to start a flame war and so that you could write RONTGLMAO and LOL a ton of times.

The other thing you don't understand is most people actually get *more* business when they are actually helpful online. This has been proven over and over again. I doubt anyone who reads this thread in the future would ever consider you as a hire. The reality is that even if someone figures out exactly what needs to be done, there's a good chance they're still going to call a professional. They just want to know what's up. But of course, you actually like to type/talk more than anything anyway. You like to obfuscate the issues so that people are confused. Why else would you post this on another forum:

If you don't have a FTA Motorized System, then you are missing out on a very profitable part of your business...

We now sell the Motorized System for $800.00 installed... Cost is approx. $250.00!!! Do you think DirecTV/Dish Network/WildBlue/Hughes, or anybody else will give you that much profit???

RUNATWTTBLMAO... (RUNNING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK LAUGHING MY A$$ OFF...

Besides we are not marketing to the average consumer!!! Our Clients are Doctors and Attorneys, Judges and Business Owners... They don't really care how much it costs, they just want to have the high quality stuff, so they can show off to their friends...

Never go after volume, go after the hi-end profits... Volume only puts you out of business, faster... RONTGLMAO

http://skychat.mediabiz.com/viewtopic.php?p=6993&sid=53f489f41d9b5d7965dd185582731b95

The truth is, in my case, I may end up ultimately hiring someone to come out, although it's not that difficult at this point (all my cables are run, a 4x8 switch is already there, etc). But at least now I'll know what I need when I call, I'll know what to ask for, and I'll be able to judge the competency of the tech I call. I don't have any more time to waste with techs that don't really know what they're doing. And the phone book doesn't really help you figure that out.

Like Berg and sheridan noted, some of us actually like to learn and work with our hands and solve problems. It's really not up to you to decide what is easier for us. I like to understand how the satellite signals work, where they come from, how the multiplexers work, etc. It's fun. If you don't want to help share knowledge, then just don't post. It's as easy as that.

Finally, would I share the secrets of what I do with you? Well, I'm a real Doctor, as in "M.D." Doctor means "to teach." You should think about that since you insist on calling yourself "Doc". And yes, I would teach you about your body and how to take care of it. There is tons of information on the web that is out there "for free" about your health. It's not like that suddenly has worsened my job. In fact, it's better because people are more educated and we can move forward from a more knowledgeable stance.

The only people who suffer from the spread of knowledge are the people who have so little competetive advantage and so little to offer, that anything can usurp that edge. Do you think so little of what you do that you're afraid to share your "trade secrets"? Even magicians share a lot of their "secrets" but they know most people aren't go to have the skill, patience and diligence to copy it and therefore aren't that threatened (e.g. Chris Angel putting out a DVD explaining how to do the "levitation trick").

If I didn't get some "real" help on this board, I was probably just going to give up on international satellite. Now that I know it can be done, and how it can be done, I will likely get someone to come out here and do it because overall, that is still easier than me going out to get everything. This spread of knowledge in fact does help installers like you. Your lousy attitude, however, doesn't.

...ok.../end rant... sorry about the long off topic words.

Regards,

Bhavesh Patel, MD

Holy crap I think I am going to cry. That is one of the best posts I’ve seen recently. :clap :clap :clap

Very well put Dr Patel and I am glad you saw through the boo honkey and realized that there are some good info here : )

Good luck and if you need any more help, let us know.

Dr Patel
I noticed you were looking for channels from India. I don’t know if these are what you are looking for too but there are a couple channels from India that are available with a free to air system. Now I’ve made mistakes before on International channels (confusing the languages), but it says the following are from India

AsiaNet
Amrita TV

Both of these are on a different satellite (IA5 which is at 97 degrees west..right between DirecTV 101 and the satellite that the Int’l channels Direct offers (95)). Again I don’t know if these would help also but you can get those with a simple system (would run a couple hundred bucks or less) and there are no fees. There is also a system called Globecast (www.globecastwtv.com) which is a subscription service and that might have some channels too. Some you pay a fee but you would also get the free channels.

Here are the Hindi channels on Globecast for subscription
ASC Xtra
ASC Flix
Sanskar TV

Last edited:
Yes, we do thank you for that Post Dr. By trying to advise you to call a Quality Tech, that was local to you, I didn't realize that everyone would take it so personal... LOL

Thank God for the Customer that tinkers with their stuff, and then calls us to fix what they can't... RONTGLMAO... But I have less money to run to the bank with, than you do Dr... At your rates, you can afford to hire the Pro...

Thanx again for the Book, and I will keep a lot of your advise, in mind, the next time we hire out at our low rates...

Thank God for the Customer that tinkers with their stuff, and then calls us to fix what they can't

thats a great attitude to have. Make the person feel stupid.

oh wait...I have to add what seems to be your two "have to haves" in a post
LOL
RONTGLMAO

whoops...I didnt make it a different color to make my post look good.

India channels

iceberg, thanks for the additional options on channels from India. I'm actually trying to get the channels to get a little more exposure to current Indian culture, since I was born in the States, etc. I was most interested in MTVDesi, along with some of the channels that show movies and news. Some of the FTA channels you mentioned do that.

Once I get the new dish installed, I should be able to just point it at the bird I want. The advantage of DirectTV is no new hardware in my entertainment center (already 2 tivos, 2 amps, preamp, DAC, line conditioner, DVD player, etc. I dont think there is any more room for another!)

OTOH, I know that there are some certain "advantages" with putting up an FTA system, so it might be worth it in the end.

It sounds like the 30" dish should do it, and then it is just a matter of picking which bird I want.

Bhavesh

Correct.

A single 30” dish (set up correctly) will allow you to see both the programs on G3 (DirecTv Int’l) and the free stuff on IA5 (which in the satellite arc is right next door). A motorized unit would allow you to move between the satellites from your easy chair.

Plus all it would take is an extra cable and a free to air receiver (some of the new ones are really small in size) :D

IA5 (Intelsat America 5 AKA Telstar 5) has a lot of ethnic channels on it. There also is a subscription service called Globecast that sells programming subscriptions. On some of the channels, the picture quality is really bad due to the originator not buying a lot of bandwidth (some channels look like a movie you play on your computer in the really small screen). There are some English channels on there too but most of those are religious channels.

There are lots of free channels on there too. Unfortunately, the free ones disappear when Dish, Direct or Globecast decides to buy them and scramble them.

Here is a list of the channels on IA5
http://www.lyngsat.com/ia5.html

Scroll down to the 5 digit frequencies..those are KU
The ones in the light yellow are free
The ones in the orangish brown are scrambled. Most of these are on Globecast
over on the right hand side is the language
E-English
A-Arabic
Fa-Farsi
Hi-Hindi
etc

You just don't get it....

Doctor Bob said:
Yes, we do thank you for that Post Dr. By trying to advise you to call a Quality Tech, that was local to you, I didn't realize that everyone would take it so personal... LOL

Thank God for the Customer that tinkers with their stuff, and then calls us to fix what they can't... RONTGLMAO... But I have less money to run to the bank with, than you do Dr... At your rates, you can afford to hire the Pro...

Thanx again for the Book, and I will keep a lot of your advise, in mind, the next time we hire out at our low rates...

Man, you just don't get it. It's clear to everyone reading this that you don't. You missed every major point I made. So let me spell it out.

A) You didn't answer the question I originally asked. Your recommendation of "call a tech" is useless unless you help me figure how to find a good tech. I'd already been through bad ones.

B) Just because I'm a Doctor means I can afford to call a "Pro", but I can't afford to call an idiot. There are people in your business who claim to be good, but they're not. You could have actually helped with this, but you didn't. Furthermore, I just because I'm a doctor doesn't mean I have money to piss away. It's still buyer beware out there, especially with opportunists like you.

Don't believe you're an opportunist? How about this post you made on another forum:

It is rare, that anyone doing installations of a Satellite System or just moving a line for a Customer, that we would run across an Electrical Engineer. So when that does happen, I try to take full advantage of the situation.

Here is my Story and I'm sticking to it... RONTGLMAO....

While moving a line for one of the Park Residents, at the same Mobile Home Park that I live in, I discovered a "Hewlett Packard" Spectrum Analyzer in the corner!!! I asked him what in the world he used it for, and boy was that a mistake!!!

Three hours later, we were done testing my cable; F-Connectors; Ground Blocks; LNB's and anything else he could hook up to!!!

We did a water test on the Stirling Connectors, at the LNB and the Ground Block, as well as checking for Ingress and Igress... LOL

Then we tested my leads, that I use for my Applied Instruments 9520 Meter, along with the "Quick Disconnects" that I use from time to time (no more however, cause they give bad readings)... LOL

The Stirling F-Connectors that I bought from them in Memphis, at the Expo passed his tests with flying colors... The others that I was using indoors, along with all of the quick disconnects "Failed"!!! He was so impressed with the fittings, that he wanted to buy a dozen with a crimper... "I did sell them to him for a lot of money" LOL

This Guy forgot more than I am ever going to know about Electronics... I had a headache for an hour after I left... LOL

PS... Call Jim Strickland at (800) 260-6689 if you want to save a lot of money on F-Connectors and Quality Ground Blocks...

http://groups.msn.com/SatelliteBroa...essage=22088&LastModified=4675534517813931272

Choice quotes:

"I try to take full advantage of the situation"
"'I did sell them to him for a lot of money' LOL"

Seems to me that you take up 3 hours of someone's time to test all your equipment for free (which we all know, doing work for free is against the Livingston Code, but only if it's you doing the work....other people can work for you for free), then you reward him by charging him a lot of money (presumably at a markup) for some connectors, all the while ridiculing him in your post. You're a real piece of work, Bob.

So I don't actually expect you to get any of the advice/comments people make about you, especially in this thread. You've been like this for years, and you probably always will be. There's no way you're going to suddenly change because of a few posts. You can keep peddling away being a cheap opportunist.

as for everyone else, "Shhh.....if we're really really quiet, maybe he'll just go away.."

That's totally cool.....

Iceberg said:
Correct.

A single 30” dish (set up correctly) will allow you to see both the programs on G3 (DirecTv Int’l) and the free stuff on IA5 (which in the satellite arc is right next door). A motorized unit would allow you to move between the satellites from your easy chair.

Plus all it would take is an extra cable and a free to air receiver (some of the new ones are really small in size) :D

Berg, this totally cool then..it seems that it makes sense to go for both birds at the same time. Then I'd have options for all the channels, especially if the free stuff ends up satisfying my needs anyway.

Bhavesh

veshman said:
Berg, this totally cool then..it seems that it makes sense to go for both birds at the same time. Then I'd have options for all the channels, especially if the free stuff ends up satisfying my needs anyway.

Bhavesh

I know there are lots of people who do a setup like that
-30" dish for the free channels in a particular language
-Dish or Direct for the "major" int'l programming

With your setup you can watch DirecTV and one of the Int'l channels on IA5 at the same time or a DirecTv Int'l channel. You couldnt watch an Int'l channel on DirecVT and one on IA5 at the same time.

Here is how a possible setup would be.

Attachments

• setup.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Thanks for the setup diagram....it's nice to have these different ideas and options to consider. the diagram helps a lot in seeing how it will all work.

best,

bhavesh

Status
Please reply by conversation.