Need help with LNBF, C-Band, Ku combo's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RICHat22

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 8, 2005
Ok guys. I am not new to electronics or radios, but C-Band is an uncommon technology for me. Ex-DISH guru (area manager) and am tired of DBS. I have wanted to get into the BUD field for many years but simply have not had the time. Now it's a project. I had a Birdview 7', UST-9900 with VCII module, complete system given to me tonight by a friend. I have not gotten the dish part yet, but wanted to test out the receiver first. I will soon be trying to combine these things in my theater.
First I want to know if a Legacy LNB will work with C or Ku band.

Next I have a 105 Superdish and need to know if that will do me any good with the 9900. Maybe as a small test dish? I know it will be borderline receiving anything.

And last, will I end up having to buy (if the Birdview and LNBF is bad from sitting or lightning) a new LNB setup just to get a picture?

I will be purchasing a FTA setup soon but hope to keep that a totally seperate system. Thanks for the help and I have searched with no answers before posting.

You may want to keep looking for a dish, untill you find a 10' or the smallest being 8.5' do not go with anything smaller.

You can grab a corotor II plus feed horn and then grab some lnb's and place them on the dish, if your buddys lnb is dead then you will not get anything, if you have time grab a few dishes and mix and match the parts to see what does and does not work :)

Thanks for the tips guys. I had a friend that did C-Band for for nearly 15 years tell me 7 ft was minimum in my area. So thats what I watched for. The norm I saw at customers houses was 7-10 ft. I just considered the Birdview because it looked to be H-H. I don't know what made him stop using it, but normally its a receiver or actuator that made them trash it. I have run across many 10 ft's free to a good home. but usually they've been hit by lightning. I will keep an eye out.

In the meantime, anyone in South Alabama, I can run you across many C-Bands dishes free to a good home. Keep in mind they have usually been parked for a reason. Still upright, but not hooked up

Brian

Your buddy would be right if this was 15 years ago back then a 6'-7' was good enough, though now satellites are spaced out by 2 degrees, and a reflector must be 8.5' to be 2 degree compliant, with a 7' you will receive adjacent satellite interference, basically 2 birds at one time.

the 105 superdish (the 105 LNB) can get KU band analog....not alot on there but enough free stuff for some fun :)

good points and replies are appreciated guys. as much time as I spent with DBS, the number of and spacing never dawned on me for bigger and tighter reflector. I believe this weekend I will be busting out the 105 LNB just to test. I would like to make sure the receiver works to play with before I get too deep into something that I will likely make time-consuming to say the least.

Once I have something solid to test with, FTA here I come. Playtime will be upon us.

UST-9900 is an analog receiver, I don't see any analog feed at the 109. I would suggest using the 9900 to drive the dish and slave a DVB receiver for digital channels. Have the C/KU LNBs and you will not miss any possible FTA programming. MY main concern is, one DVB receiver may not able to grab all those free stuffs from the sky.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts