Need help with OPENBOX and Hard drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Long Hair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Mo
I have a WD passport 500gb, but can't get the openbox to read it. I formatted it in NTFS that was a no go, so I tried it in fat32 still a no go. I than split it up into two partitions, but that did not work.:mad: I have a 8gb scandisk and the box read's that with no problem, and I used the passport with my pc and copied some files and checked it on my wife's laptop and all is good, so if you guys have some ideas please let me know.

I have a WD passport 500gb, but can't get the openbox to read it. I formatted it in NTFS that was a no go, so I tried it in fat32 still a no go. I than split it up into two partitions, but that did not work.:mad: I have a 8gb scandisk and the box read's that with no problem, and I used the passport with my pc and copied some files and checked it on my wife's laptop and all is good, so if you guys have some ideas please let me know.

Think you'll need one that's external powered,

I also have a WD passport 500gb, Openbox doesn't see it. I thought I read in the owners manual that NTFS was good to go. I wonder what's up? Is this something that the factory should correct? All my 8Gb sticks (3 different brands) work. I don't see where it says "stay away from Western Digital drives." I happen to like WD drives, got 6 total, 2 of the usb flavor. I wonder if this: Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5-Inch/ 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter at TigerDirect.com would work. I have a 320Gb drive not doing anything at the moment.

Thanks all for the info, and FAT AIR for confirming that the passport doesn't work on more than just my box. I read on a different forum that someone with a 250gb passport had no problem using it with the openbox.????

My CNX Mini is real picky about USB hard drives; here is what works for me.

Using your computer, delete all partitions on the USB drive. Then create 1 partition the maximum size your receiver can use, and mark it as "Active". Format it to the FAT32 file system. Do a full format, not a quick format.

If your receiver's manual specifically says NTFS file system is okay, go ahead and try it first. It is a newer and better system than FAT32.

I find that portable, bus-powered drives are very quirky about power. Sometimes, my Passport drives won't spin up on any cable other than the extremely short cable provided with the drive.

Using your computer, delete all partitions on the USB drive. Then create 1 partition the maximum size your receiver can use, and mark it as "Active". Format it to the FAT32 file system. Do a full format, not a quick format.

I agree with this, it seems to me that some of the WD Passport drives have a small hidden partition for maintance or recovery and can interfer with some applications. If this is the case, HWM's complete wipe of the partition should get you going.

I wonder if this: Sabrent USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Cable for 2.5-Inch/ 3.5-Inch / 5.25-Inch Drive with Power Adapter at TigerDirect.com would work. I have a 320Gb drive not doing anything at the moment.

I am using on of these adapters on my OpenBox with a old 250g IDE drive I had, works fine. It is also very handy for reading just about any drive you may need to connect to your computer. I bought mine from from Geeks, on sale today for $12.99
IDE/SATA to USB 2.0 Cable Adapter - Turn Your 2.5", 3.5" or 5.25" IDE or SATA Drive Into A USB Drive! 2020

Jim

EDIT: This adapter did NOT work on my GeoSatPro 1100c, I don't know about other FTA pvr receivers, but good on the OpenBox.

Last edited:
thanks for the confirmation TantalusFld. I have a quite few unused HDD's lying around. Awaiting receipt of one adapter.

on my passpart I did a full format took a little over 4 hours, and that was a no go. So the other night I was at TARGET and picked up a seagate 500gb Expansion drive with a power supply and all is good.

on my passpart I did a full format took a little over 4 hours, and that was a no go. So the other night I was at TARGET and picked up a seagate 500gb Expansion drive with a power supply and all is good.

Long,

Glad you found a drive that works. I would still be interested if you can get the Passport to work as they are popular drives and probably others with the same problem. Here is a link to down load a partition manager program. This program can "see" those hidden partitions and boot files that might be on your drive and allow you to delete them. The drive will work fine with out them, just re-format again then see if it works on your OpenBox.

Jim

Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I just hooked up the adapter cable on an old HDD. In the menu in the Openbox I selected partition2 as the DVR partition, partition1 was only 30Megs. All is well.

From the Glorystar website:

What USB 2.0 Drive Should I Purchase?
Hand_HDD_USB.png

We now carry an optional excellent quality starter USB 2.0 drive. CLICK HERE for more information
This Plug & Play drive will allow you to record and playback over 15 hours of TV or hundreds of hours of radio programming.

Verified USB 2.0 Drives (Maximum 500GB Supported)

Many USB drives will work with the DVR1100c, but these specific models have been verified by our technicians.

Download - SwissKnife application for FAT32 formatting of the drive using a PC.

I would download the swissknife application to try on your passport drives. Personally, I have a CNX trio and the seagate drives 2.5" expansion work well {160 and 320 GB}. If you have one with sleep feature, you have to turn it off. May or may not work with the Openbox!!

Cheers, Catamount

Long,

Glad you found a drive that works. I would still be interested if you can get the Passport to work as they are popular drives and probably others with the same problem. Here is a link to down load a partition manager program. This program can "see" those hidden partitions and boot files that might be on your drive and allow you to delete them. The drive will work fine with out them, just re-format again then see if it works on your OpenBox.

Jim

Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

This is the same software I used to format the first and second time.

Yes I did, as I eluded to in post #13. I did not have to reformat the drive. It recognized 2 NTFS partitions 1- 3M, 2 - 360 G, I just selected partition #2 in the HDD setup in the Openbox. I did notice the drive would get quite warm, so the fan that was on the 9200 is now cooling the HDD. Now to get the "instant recording" duration figured out(Another thread).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)