Need help with OTA HDTV

DeclanMac

Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
Mid-Michigan
Hi, folks:

I recently purchased a new SONY HDTV monitor (34" Wega) and am looking to get into OTA HDTV. I need a receiver and advice on an antenna. I wrote to Solid Signal with my parameters and they recommended a Winegard 7032 with a rotor and preamp. I talked to a guy at my local Radio Shack and he said that the preamp wouldn't help for regular reception, and that I should only get one if my cable run is over 100 feet, which is isn't. I live in zip 48910 and am in a flat area with no tall buildings, and I went to a friend's place a few blocks away and took a look at his (old, old) roof antenna with rotor, and we had no problem getting the local analog stations (he doesn't have HD). I checked at antennaweb and the most distant station I want to watch is about 30 miles away. I have been reading about the receivers and the Humax HFA100 looks good, but I wonder about the Samsung and any others that might be good. I'm wiling to spend a little more upfront to get something that will work well. At the moment I record almost everything and watch later, and I can't seem to find much in the way of HD recording options. Sony makes a DVR/HD tuner/DVD burner combo (DHG-HDD250), but I read mixed reviews of it. I'm used to using VHS tapes, and would love to get a D-VHS machine, but again there don't seem to be many out there. I don't have a lot of use for the bells and whistles that come with DVR, but might be persuaded otherwise. I swap shows with friends, and they all currently have regular VHS analog stuff. So it seems to me that the time to watch HDTV is here, but I might have to wait a while to record it.

Thanks a bunch!
Declan

You definitely need a rotor, but the pre-amp recommendation was based on you receiving Channel 33 from Ann Arbor, which isn't broadcasting yet. If you don't care about that channel, then a Winegard PR-9018 w/o a pre-amp should work fine for you.

As to a receiver for OTA digital channels only, check out the threads regarding the current closeout sale at Rat Shack. There OTA DTV receiver is a good one, w/ a mediocre remote. Otherwise, check ebay for an LG LST-4200A, the best of the most recent crop of OTA DTV receivers. They are no longer available via retail (long story).

I have a HUMAX HFA 100 I use in my bedroom setup. Works great and is always scanning for more channels on it's own. I also have a Radio Shack Accurian $89 that I use in the livingroom set up. I used a Samsung and didn't really care for it. It didn't pick up all the channels the other 2 did. Plus you had to go thru 3 menues just to find out your channel signal strength. LG is good just out of my price range. :)

Carl B said:
You definitely need a rotor, but the pre-amp recommendation was based on you receiving Channel 33 from Ann Arbor, which isn't broadcasting yet. If you don't care about that channel, then a Winegard PR-9018 w/o a pre-amp should work fine for you.

That is a UHF antenna, and I was thinking it would be best to get a VHF/UHF antenna, because I'm also going to want to watch analog stuff, since a lot of stuff I watch isn't currently broadcast in HD, and it would seem prudent to cover all my bases since I'm going to hire some dude to put the thing up and do the cabling.

As to a receiver for OTA digital channels only, check out the threads regarding the current closeout sale at Rat Shack. There OTA DTV receiver is a good one, w/ a mediocre remote. Otherwise, check ebay for an LG LST-4200A, the best of the most recent crop of OTA DTV receivers. They are no longer available via retail (long story).

I did check out the threads about the RS receiver, and they don't have any in my area. Also, there are no LST-4200A receivers listed on ebay.

I do very much appreciate your input. Am I correct in thinking that I should wait awhile before trying to record HD?

DeclanMac said:
Am I correct in thinking that I should wait awhile before trying to record HD?

Recording HD on an HD/DVR is fine. Recording HD in SD on a DVDR is OK. I don't know much about the HD tape machines except that they seem to have compatibility problems and are not generally very popular. An HD/DVDR is years and dollars away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)