Need help with Radio Shack 8-1 universal remote and dish dp311

ronnie1144

Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
TN
Need help with universal remote and dish dp311

We built this house in July 2004. Have a Channel Plus distribution network throughout the house and 2 dp311 boxes.

They replaced my box last fall, then the other box 2 months ago. Each time the boxes was replaced they made sure their was different addresses for the dish remotes therefore we never had a problem with our 8-1 remotes not working.

Last week they had to replace my box again. My 8-1 remote would not work on the new box. Dude tried reprogramming the dish remote addresses and that still didn't help. My 8-1 remote works fine on the other dish box but not on the one I use.

Dish has been no help. The dish dude said well if we knew the code ur 8-1 remote was using with the old box we could set the new 1 to that. I didn't think at the time but it was right in front of me on the remote as it has a display that shows the code for each device. In this case the code was 0392 which shows in the book as a Proscan.
The guy that set-up my Channel Plus system programmed these remotes and for my box he was using the AUX button but when you go into programming it shows as SAT. I have tried remote learning and even changed the code in the remote to Echostar codes and have had no luck.

Can anyone tell me how to change the code in the dish box to match this 0392 that my remote is showing??

What product are you trying to control the Proscan is your TV and the 8-1 remote should still control it? From your statement I would guess your 311 satellite receiver isn't working from your existing 8-1.

Well the box I use is assigned to the AUX button, and the other box is assigned to the SAT button. When you push a button for the device you want it shows you the code for that device. So the guy that set-up all this some how came up with this Proscan code 0392 to use on the box I use which is on the AUX button.
This new box they just put in looks identical to the last 2 that worked fine with my remote. The remote still works fine with the other box and other devices such as DVD, VCR.

I need program this new dish box to match this 0392 code in my remote.

We built this house in July 2004. Have a Channel Plus distribution network throughout the house and 2 dp311 boxes.

They replaced my box last fall, then the other box 2 months ago. Each time the boxes was replaced they made sure their was different addresses for the dish remotes and never had a problem with changing the channel on one box and it interferring with the other box. The universal 8-1 remotes worked fine on both new boxes with no changes being made to the remotes.

Last week they had to replace my box again. My 8-1 remote would not work on the new box. Dude tried reprogramming the dish remote addresses and that still didn't help. My 8-1 remote works fine on the other dish box but not on the one I use.
Dish has been no help. The dish dude said well if he knew the code my 8-1 remote was using with the old box he could set the new 1 to that. I didn't think at the time but it was right in front of me on the remote as it has a display that shows the code for each device. In this case the code was 0392 which shows in the book as a Proscan. (My TV is a Samsung btw)

The guy that set-up my Channel Plus system programmed these remotes and for my box he was using the AUX button but when you go into programming in the remote it shows as SAT and doesn't show the SAT button which that device code is 0775. I have tried remote learning and even changed the code in the remote to Echostar codes and have had no luck.

Can anyone tell me how to change the code in the dish box to match this 0392 that my remote is showing??

This is confusing. Can you post the model number of your RS remote? SAT 0392 is a very old DirecTV code. It also works with GE, Proscan, RCA, Thomson and Ultimate TV. SAT 0775 is the correct for a 311 set to address 1. Any other address must be learned. If the learns don't work, you're probably out of learning memory since those remotes can usually store a total of only 20-30 learned buttons. I recommend you clear out all the learns on that device that isn't working to free space for new ones. Hopefully you won't need any learns.

Be aware that each device type has its own set of codes. In other words, TV 0392 is totally different from SAT 0392. My guess is you may have used SAT 0392, then learned all the commands, so you were actually using all learns instead of the built-in 0392 commands which are totally incompatible with Dish. AFAIK, it's impossible to change a Dish box so that it will work with SAT 0392.

Model number of Radio Shack remote?
In looking in the owners manual, upper left corner of cover says 15-2116. Like I said it's got a display screen that shows time, devices, etc.
I think that he may have learned the buttons, I think I remember him saying something about that but it was 8 years ago?

This new Dish box looks identical to the ones that have been here before it. But don't like this remote :(

Last edited:
Are you sure your original receivers were DP311's they might have been DP301s I'm not sure the 311 is 8 years old.

Did you get a DISH remote with the replacement 311 or was it only the receiver that was shipped to you? I'm looking for a method to access the menu seeing memory says there was only a power button and channel up/down buttons on that receiver. If you want to purchase a DISH remote the 20.0 is a learning universal remote by DISH.

Press the sys info button on the front of the receeiver then press the record button on the remote.

Sent from my DROIDX

Press the sys info button on the front of the receeiver then press the record button on the remote.

Sent from my DROIDX
The 311 dosen't have a system info button on the front of the receiver. OP also hasn't posted that he has a DISH original remote.
According to the instruction manual on DISH web site with the power turned off push channel up or down and it will bring up sys. info.

If OP has an original remote:
Press and hold the sat button until all 4 lights light up
Release sat button press 0#
Sat light should flash 3 times

Remote should operate any IR DISH receiver.

Last edited:
The RS 15-2116 has 2 Dish codes: SAT 0775 and 1005. The first one works on most Dish devices. Could your 311 have been made by Thompson, GE or RCA? If so, then I guess 0392 could be a possibility, but I highly doubt it. I recommend you clear out your learns and try SAT 0775 again.

I have never found a universal remote -- ANY universal remote -- that works to my satisfaction. There is always something missing: GUIDE button, CANCEL button, it's always something. So I stopped wasting my money on so-called "universal" remotes, and I stick with the DISH remote ... they're available directly from DISH, priced reasonably and ALWAYS operates EVERY function on my satellite receivers, without hassle, and the 20.0 and 21.0 remotes can learn as well.

Just my .02 ... your mileage may vary.

FWIW, the OP's remote and others made by UEI are unique in that ANY individual function can be added by codes, even functions that aren't on the original remote. For example, mine has a function that directly invokes PIP Side-by-side. AFAIK, that function doesn't exist on any recent Dish remote. With the addition of a $5 cable, the OP can program his remote from his computer just like a $200 harmony. He can even load the exact codes he needs to solve his current issue.

While I think the Dish remotes are ok, and learning capability is a big improvement, they are sorely lacking in terms of home theater functionality. They have no macro capability at all and only control a few devices.

Are you sure your original receivers were DP311's they might have been DP301s I'm not sure the 311 is 8 years old.

Did you get a DISH remote with the replacement 311 or was it only the receiver that was shipped to you? I'm looking for a method to access the menu seeing memory says there was only a power button and channel up/down buttons on that receiver. If you want to purchase a DISH remote the 20.0 is a learning universal remote by DISH.

I just checked the old "original" box that has been here all 8 years, and years prior at the old house. It's a 301. I checked the box that dads new "box" came in a few weeks ago, it's a 311. It plug right in and NEVER had a remote issue. However, that box is on the SAT button.

The box that replaced my original was a 311 and didn't have a remote issue at all until this new one last week. Again my box is on the AUX button.

To answer questions about the dish remotes, I have a new one that came with this new box, and another new one that came with the one before this one last fall. It's still in the plastic.

These new dish remotes have a silver dish button center of remote under the pause button. Sys info to left of that button, up top 4 clear buttons Sat/tv/video left, tv next, a green button that says r, DVD, then aux.

I have never found a universal remote -- ANY universal remote -- that works to my satisfaction. There is always something missing: GUIDE button, CANCEL button, it's always something. So I stopped wasting my money on so-called "universal" remotes, and I stick with the DISH remote ... they're available directly from DISH, priced reasonably and ALWAYS operates EVERY function on my satellite receivers, without hassle, and the 20.0 and 21.0 remotes can learn as well.

I appreciate all the opinions, I'll probably clear it all and try again, but ALL the buttons worked on my R-S remote for both the SAT and AUX buttons till this box on the AUX button was replaced but the box on the SAT button is still working perfectly

Don't clear anything from the Radio Shack remote yet. The DISH receiver can have 16 remote control addresses, the address on the remote must match the address on the receiver. I suspect the replacement 311 is set for remote address #1 and the Radio Shack 8 N 1 is set for a different address so they aren't talking to each other. You need to change the address on the receiver then check the 8 N 1 to see if it operates. The ideal situation would be to bring up the sys. info on the replaced receiver to see what address it was set to and then set the new 311 to that address. I assume the old 311 has already been returned to DISH so it is trial and error until you find the right address if the Radio Shack 8 N 1 hasn't already been accidently changed.

A Harmony remote will do everything a Dish remote can do and better.....

If the box to be controlled is something other than address 1, then the setup code is irrelevant and all commands will have to be learned, unless you have a JP1 cable, in which case, you simply select the proper address in the JP1 software and download it into the remote. If you are using address 1, in AUX mode, you must specify the device type. So you must use SAT 0775 (most likely), not any other device type (TV, AUD, etc.).

Will any of your Dish remotes operate the new box? If so, clear a few old learns to make room for enough new ones to test. If any are successful, then clear all of them and learn all the commands from the working Dish remote. Just remember, you only have enough learning memory for a total of 20-30 keys across all devices.

The key really is determining or setting the address for your box as posted early in this thread. That will determine what code to use and whether you need to do any learns.

IMO, your 15-2116 is every bit as good as any harmony if you start using the software. It's much more powerful and sophisticated than harmony software since it can do unlimited macros, nested macros, recursion, unlimited devices, fast macros, conditional branching, just to name a few things. And has a fully graphical programming interface, unlike harmony. I used 15-2116's for many years and still have a few in my closet. I never had any issues using them with any of Dish's 32 possible addresses. I just pick the address in the software as I said. With the JP1 software you never have to use learns except for signal analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts