Need help with reconnecting Dish VIP722K & VIP222K

lost in memphis

Original poster
May 4, 2013
Memphis
Hopefully I can make this make sense.

First, let me confess: I let Comcast talk me into switching from Dish to Xfinity. I did not cancel Dish because I wanted to see how I liked Xfinity (X). Three days later and the X equipment is piled up by the door and going back. The problem is: I'm not sure how to reconnect the Dish equipment. I think X may have removed something outside (possibly grounding blocks or diplexers) to make room for their box.

My original Dish setup - 5 tvs.

VIP722K at TV1 in the den and running TV2 in master bed.
VIP222K at TV1 in son's room and running TV2 in guest room.
VIP211K at TV in front room
3 lines coming from Dish array and connected to grounding blocks.
Coax all over the house.

Anyway, I disconnected X's setup and pulled their box off the house. 2 grounding blocks were still there for the Dish setup. The 3 lines from the dish were still connected to them and each block had a short piece of coax hanging from it.

To start with, I connected cable for the 22K - No problem.
I have a double coax (I think it was left over from an old DirecTV setup from the previous owner and Dish just used one of the cables on it for the 722K, maybe left the other just dangling, not really sure.

The 722K still had the triplexer attached so I left that alone and connected the cable that X used (from the dual coax), connected the other end to the grounding block outside and TV1 is fine.

Same thing with the 222K to son's TV.

I have cable still hanging outside that goes to master bedroom and guest room but nothing to connect them to out there. I'm pretty sure the short jumpers left danging from the grounding blocks are needed somehow. Thinking I may need them, I have two 5MHz-2.3GHz Ideal diplexers purchased from Lowe's.

How would I go about getting the other 2 TVs reconnected?

That's why I pay for service protection. $15.00 I can handle. The original install looked like crap anyway, so I WILL get my money's worth. Just saying.

I would first and foremost contact a DIRT member here and let them know what you said here, you found out DISH is the best. :) See if they can arrange it so that the service call is covered by a tech. I wouldn't call what you did foolish, at some time most of us have changed a service and realized it was a mistake. I got TMobile data for my Tablet when I have had At&T for phones since before they were even Cingular, and realized there's a reason Tmobile data looks like a better plan. Try getting fast speeds with them... I added AT&T data and learned my lesson.

I'm interested in exactly what you didn't like about Xfinity just out of curiosity.

I would first and foremost contact a DIRT member here and let them know what you said here, you found out DISH is the best. :) See if they can arrange it so that the service call is covered by a tech. I wouldn't call what you did foolish, at some time most of us have changed a service and realized it was a mistake. I got TMobile data for my Tablet when I have had At&T for phones since before they were even Cingular, and realized there's a reason Tmobile data looks like a better plan. Try getting fast speeds with them... I added AT&T data and learned my lesson.

I'm interested in exactly what you didn't like about Xfinity just out of curiosity.
What was foolish was letting Comcast remove the DISH wiring if you were keeping the account active.

What was foolish was letting Comcast remove the DISH wiring if you were keeping the account active.

I didn't "let" him. But I didn't babysit him either. As far as I am concerned it was theft and vandalism. I've also reported it as such to Comcast. I'm sure nothing will come of it however.

It may seem petty but I don't like their on screen guide, the lack of auto tune, the individual program info screen, and the lack of ANY program info on the set using a dta. There just seems to be an overall lack of user control and personalization. Most of all, I don't like that they took it upon themselves to remove equipment from my house.

I had a Dish subcontractor cut my cable internet when installing Dish for me. He must have been blind as well as stupid because the cable he actually wanted to use (left over from DirecTV) was just dangling nearby. It was perverse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)