Need Help With Setup Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AgentZero

Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I just can't seem to pick up any satellites no matter which ones I look at or what settings I try.

I am using a Dish Network Super Dish with a FSS LNB and a Twinhan 102g DVB card. To get the elevation, azimuth and skew I am referring to dishpointer.com. To check my quality I am using either ProgFinder or Prog Satellite Finder.

I have read what I thought was enough to get this setup without any luck. I set the elevation and swing it to the Magnetic azimuth according to dishpointer and to set the skew I rotate the dish clockwise, looking at it from behind the dish. I set LOF1 and LOF2 to 10750 and choose a Vertical transponder.

Signal of course is fine at 65, but no Quality. I just don't understand. If it matters I am trying to hit Galaxy 25 at 93.1, 11984 V, Azteca 7 for the World Cup, unless someone knows of a CBC FTA out there.

I have tried different satellites, different transponders on a satellite, different LOF setting all to no avail.

I realize this has been gone over before but if there is anyone that can offer some assistance I would appreciate it. Your questions might just led me to a solution. I am out of ideas and about ready to give up trying.

Thank You Very Much

You've started out with a tough setup to aim. I probably would still be working on that , 3yrs later lol. With a computer card and a smaller dish, lots of obstacles to overcome there. Most of us here will tell you its much easier to aim a dish with a satellite receiver out at the dish, so you can watch the signal strength menu screen. Or if you have the right kind of meter you can probably hit your target. Signal strength but no quality just means you either have no active transponder on that satellite selected in your reciever, or you aren't aimed properly, skew is off, LO freq wrong, lnbs are no good, lots of things. There was some mention of those Azteca channels lately in the threads here but I forgot what the message was. I dont' have that satellite programmed in my boxes so I can't tell you if they're still up there or not.

edit to add : Just programmed in 93.1 and scanned>the azteca channels ARE still there , 3 channels & one set of color bars at 11981 V.
Not scrambled. I'm getting 100% quality on them here with a 90cm channel master dish. I'm at about 34.5N latitude.

Last edited:
the superdish fss lnb is a stacked lnb, your vertical transponders will come in as horizontal also.
set your lo to 13850 for this lnb and you will find the azteca mux at
15084mhz horizontal
8681 sr
3/4 fec
hope this helps,
Denny

It is extremely hard to aim a dish using a PC-based FTA card or USB box. A standalone receiver is almost a requirement here, especially dealing with the complications of a smaller dish and bandstacked LNB.

Thanks everyone for the info. Great to be here.

I can look through my window to see the screen of ProgFinder or Prog Satellite Finder Signal/Quality screen so that's not a problem. I as assuming that is the main reason for suggesting to use a receiver and saying it is a difficult proposition with a DVB card, correct?

I have made attempts setting LOF at 10750 and 13850 and can't get any transponders on any linear satellites. I was able to use the main DBS LNB, for 119, and the one that is for 110 on the SuperDish to at least show up on a couple the transponders on those sats. I guess that is because of their higher power vs those of linear satellites.

Would and old elliptical Primestar dish with a LNB with separate vertical and horizontal outputs work? It isn't that much bigger than the Superdish so I'm not sure and I would have to figure how to mount it.

It seems that the collective opinion is that with my equipment I should really stop wasting my time and hope to pick up a bigger dish some place at some time. Really wanted to get this working but I guess discretion is the better part of valor.

Go with the Primestar, it's a great dish and the LNB is a standard 10750 to setup. I have a one and like it alot. You can use the the V port for G25 and later get a 2 x 4 or 3 x 4 switch to combine both V and H.

Thanks everyone for the info. Great to be here.
I have made attempts setting LOF at 10750 and 13850 and can't get any transponders on any linear satellites.
no problem:)
keep in mind that because of the lo being 13850 the transponder frequencies will read different.
use the settings that i posted for the azteca mux above with the superdish and it will work

and yes, the primestar dish would be much more simple to use, the transponder frequencies would be normal with it.
and bigger is better with dishes
with it you will want a multiswitch to get both polarities
you can pick up them cheap on ebay
New Zinwell SAM -3402 Directv Approved 3x4 Multiswitch - eBay (item 140415230982 end time Jul-09-10 08:14:36 PDT)
or
New Eagle Aspen MS3x4WB-P Directv 3x4 Multiswitch - eBay (item 130378365535 end time Jun-25-10 15:07:22 PDT)

@ynnedibanez
I will find some time to try the Azteca mux with the SuperDish using LO 13850

As for a switch, for future use, I have a Channel Master 6904IFD, would this work?
CHANNEL MASTER CM-6904IFD Multiswitch,4in,4out

If I use the switch I assume I would need to change my settings to reflect the 22KHz tone, correct?

I don't know if I have a pole the correct diameter for the Primestar but will look around.

Thank again

That switch should work ok, and if you need a pole for the primestar, most of them will fit right on a corner-post for chain link fence, those are around 12bucks in this part of the world. Couple of bags or 3 of quickrete and you should be set. Be sure the pole is plumb before the concrete dries!

Finally got some time to try this again and unfortunately it was a no go; neither the Dish Network FSS nor the Primestar. I thought I had things plumb, maybe not, and set right but all it takes is the slightest inaccuracy. I guess I will be adding satellite dish pointing to the long list of things I just do.

Any way, thanks to everyone for all their assistance it is appreciated. Perhaps another time I will pull everything out and have another shot at it or when I get some better equipment.

Thanks Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)