Need Help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bboyd

Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Alabama
I'm new to Dish Network.....just switched from local cable company. Have been very pleased so far.

Now, one of the reasons I switched to DN was to get a second dish to take with me to football games while we are tailgating before the game.

What equipment is needed/recommended? I believe I need a dish that is 1000.2, correct? I will be hooking it up to a VIP211k. I will only be using one TV and receiver.

Also, does anybody have any recommendations on where to buy this second dish and whatever else I need?

Any pointers or advice is greatly appreciated. Like I said, I am a novice at this, so details would be great.

Thanks

Since you will probably only be tuning one channel while tailgating, a Dish 500 should be adequate, just be sure it has a DP twin lnb head.

Practice setting it up in your driveway before you go to the game, practice makes perfect.

Jim - thanks for the response. My Dad is in real estate and had a 500. And it has two heads on it. I could never get a signal. I had the dish pointing in the direction that dishpointer.com said was best. I have a clear view of the direction they suggested pointing it. I was still getting a signal strength of 0.

Any idea?

There are several spots to plug the coaxial cable into. How do I know which one? Also, once I have everything hooked up (correctly), how do I program the receiver to pull in a signal from the new dish?

Thanks

if the tv you will be using is not hd, the 500 dish is smaller and easier to sight in.

run a checkswitch on the rec to clear the matrix, it is still looking for a 1000.2 dish

which port on the lnb to connect to depends what type of lnb it is, and which way you are looking at it but generally put it on the middle one and you should be safe - do not use any port labeled "lnb in"

on the rec it is labeled and the center of the connection should be blue

on the signal strength screen set the sat on 119 and the transponder to 19

move the dish very slowly

Aiming the D500 is much simpler than D1000.X:

The first thing you must do is have the pole absolutely plumb vertical, you can mount a leveling bubble on it and check it with a regular level or take a level with you to plumb the pole.

Next you put the dish on the pole and adjust it according to the values for the zipcode of the location.

Cover one of the eyes with aluminum foil and set skew by the book. Move az in small increments to find strongest signal, do the same with elevation. repeat until values are solid.

a 500 is FAR easier to aim than 1k2. however you may have issues even if you aim it correctly, if you dont perfrom a checkswitch on the receiver. menu 6-1-1. also from that screen, you can enter your zip to get azimuth and elevation info for your location. use the ports on the left side of the lnb. the right port is an input.

Good pointers from all involved here, I would add that when tuning the dish with the 211k, sweep very S L O W, it tales the 211k a while to adjust to the signal received.

Those who live east of the Mississippi should not assume that the DISH 1000.2 is appropriate. It may be, but you don't need to assume. You can rest assured that whatever dish they installed at your home recently is the right one.

Without knowing what specific networks and whether you demand HD, making a recommendation is necessarily a shotgun approach.

Can I suggest a more informative title, such as "need help with tailgating dish setup", or "need help choosing tailgating dish"? You'll probably get more focused attention that way, too, like from people who already do tailgating, when they see that in the title.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)