Need info on Dish network

Sarge41

Original poster
May 9, 2005
Southeast Pennsylvania
Hi. I am a new member to this forum, so I maybe asking questions which have already been addressed. I am currently a Comcast Cable user. With the rate hikes, billing errors, lack of many HD channels, along with other issues I am strongly considering a switch to Dish Network. I have learned a great deal, both pro and con about Dish from this forum. But before I make the final decision I would like to know from any one in the southeast Pennsylvania area who has Dish, what the PQ is and how good or bad are the installers. Thank you for any information you can provide.

It is very good that you are doing your research. Not from your area but I can tell you some about Dish verses cable. There are many misconceptions about Dish first of all. If your install is done properly...meaning the installer takes the time to peak the dish as high as it will go...from what I've been told by previous cable customers...you will more than likely have less outages than with cable. I suggest you find someone who has switched in your area from the same cable co. and see what they think. As far as PQ goes, If you get a 942 (dual tuner HD DVR) the PQ is unmatched. Very good in HD. A lot of the ex-Voom subs even seem to say that the sd channels are better than what they had on Voom. Personally I would recomend getting Dish...but like I said research is good. Find someone who made the switch and see if they're happy. Good Luck!!

Sarge41 said:
With the rate hikes, billing errors, lack of many HD channels, along with other issues ...
Oh, these are the thing prompting you to switch from Comcast :shocked Guess you got tired of being in the frying pan. Seriously, rate hikes have become an annual Feb or March event but are less than most cable companies. I believe billing errors are actually quite rare, the fun begins when you try to get one fixed. They just leap-frogged the competition in the number of HDTV channels with the addition of VOOM though they still lack some of the major players.

PQ does not vary by location. Any signal strength above 35-40 IIRC will get you a picture. You do want to peak the dish for maximum signal in order to minimize instances of rain fade.

Thank you both for responding. The info you have provided will be very helpful. I personally do not know anyone who has made the switch and the few dishes I do see in the area are Directv. But I will keep checking. Many of my questions were answered on the website from the link. Thanks again for the information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)