Need info on DTH 8600IR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

christopherdb113

Original poster
Aug 11, 2014
I'm i newbie looking to get into FTA and came across a craigslist post for an ADTH 8600IR receiver with remote, owner's manual and a 36" dish with a tripod. From the photos it looks like there is also a motor for the dish. The equipment is not hooked up so I only have the owner's word that it works.

Asking price is $35, which sounds like its worth taking a risk that it works, considering all the equipment in the package.

I've attempted to do some research on this model of receiver since I know that some are geared towards home schooling or mainly religious programming, but I have found little to no information. I would like to receive world news and PBS style science programming, and true crime if possible. Preferably all programming would be in English, though some in Spanish would be okay. Would this receiver do the job? Anything I need to be leery of like trying to update firmware? Any information would be useful.

I have not yet contacted the seller.

Thanks,
Christopher

:welcometo Satelliteguys!

If the dish is in good condition with a working LNBF, this would be worth looking at. The receiver is not the easiest to program, but it can receive standard definition channels transmitted in DVBS MPEG2 format.

Most channels are transitioning to DVBS2 MPEG4, so the receiver would be usable for most of the channels on Galaxy 16 and 19 KU. These channels will provide some entertainment, but the PBS channels and crime channels are available using a newer DVBS2 receiver and and most Free English programming is available with a larger 8 - 12 foot C-band dish .

The great news is that these larger dishes are usually found for free on Craigslist and your main investment will be in a good receiver!

Reactions: danristheman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts