Need Input on set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Musher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Hello, I need some input on setting up the motor, the motor is a DMS SG-2100 and I'm wondering how to put the Elevation on the motor mount. Do I use the Latitude or the Elevation side.

The Latitude for me is 43.2 N Longitude 88.7
Motor Elevation is 43.2
Declination Angle is 6.6
Dish Elevation is 23

The Manual say to use the Latitude side which is how I have it set right now, but I'm thinking that I should use the Elevation which right now say 49.

The Dish is a 90cm dish and the receiver is a nfusion HD.

Azmith is 180.1 with mag 184.7 So what would be my true south bird, reading here I'm thinking its 89w or 87w sat's.

Any input will be helpful!

Musher

Set the L attitude scale to the same latitude as your city.
So what would be my true south bird, reading here I'm thinking its 89w or 87w sat's.
Yes your true south satellite would be 89W as that is the closest to your longitude.
Dish Elevation is 23
Yes that is what you would set the elevation of your dish to

Use the Latitude Scale, and set it to Your Lat: 43.2 - a little on the heavy side of 43
Dish Elevation to 23.

Your True South sat is Galaxy 28 @ 89west, it's the Sat closest to your Lat
Use Transponder:
11955 V 19532

With the motor at Zero, using a Compass, align the whole thing to 185 degrees south.
Remember that the Compass will be affected by the Dish.
What I do is lay a Broom Stick below the Dish, and using a Compass align to the Direction needed, then align the Dish / Motor to that.
And that is just a starting point.

For convenience use Motor Elevation scale, setting it to 43.2
Your dish required declination angle will somewhat deviate from the Motor Manual's number, as it depends also on its Offset Angle (see your dish spec).

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try as soon as I can maybe Sunday cause I'll working, but will post what happened. Again Thanks!

Zamar23 the off set Angle for my dish is 24.6' if that helps. Dish pointer says the declination angle for me is 23'
Musher

In practical terms just turn your dish a bit up and down around 23' watching to max out signal Q on a small TV. Dish Scale itself may have some tolerance error, so your manual adjustment should compensate for all that and other errors.
If this is your first motorized setup, expect to have a myriad of questions. You may want to read HOW TO SETUP A MOTORIZED SATELLITE DISH Tutorial, and then try doing it, return and post more queries in this thread.

Last edited:
Zamar23 I did read and re-read that "How to Set Up a Motorized System" and that is why I'm taking my time as much as needed to work out the bugs and yes this is my first ever fta system.

Ok I got the dish at 23' and the motor set at 43' Lat. and this is what the meter reads
Signal Strenght 36% and Signal Quailty 0%. So that is why I ask what Elevation scale should I use the Latitude on the one side or the standard scale on the other side?

I'm thinking the next time I may adjust the motor elevation, what would you do?
Musher

The LNBF is from DMS International Twin Ku LNBF RF 10.7-12.75 GHz LO frequency 9.75/10.6 GHz Noise Figure 0.2dB

Your LNB is very good, but for a motorized setup Invacom QPH-031 Circular & Linear is a better choice. If you have a circular LNB, and 91W can be received in your area as per Lyngsat Maps, put the circular LNB and use 91W as your due south sat due to much stronger signal easier to catch. Follow routing described in the Tutorial to find due south direction, set motor 0 at due south, reset both the motor and receiver, turn to 91W via USALS, then aim the dish at 3 circular sats and scan (due south, most east and west) to install it roughly on the Arc. You may want to follow the Tutorial exactly as you read it. Once on a sat, scroll slowly through its TP List to find a stronger one and see signal Q.

The LNBF is from DMS International Twin Ku LNBF RF 10.7-12.75 GHz LO frequency 9.75/10.6 GHz Noise Figure 0.2dB
In the receiver's Sat / Antenna Setup Menu, you need to enter the LNB info.
Find the Sat you are trying to align to:
LNB Type : Universal
L.O. Low: 9750
L.O. High: 10600
22KHz: Off

You have to enter that info for each any every Sat you want to setup.

The motor bracket scale should be set using the 'Latitude' side to your latitude. The elevation side should always read 90 minus your latitude. If my latitude is 30 (which it is), my elevation side will read 60. If my latitude was 47, elevation would be 43.

Lak7 I did set the lnbf to what you said and still only get about 35%, I still thinking its the motor is not set right. I'll stay with the Latitude scale but maybe I'm not right on with that elevation at 43' I will try moving it just a hair up or down because the scale goes 40-45-50-55 with nothing in between. I'm try for sat's at 89.0W

Do you have a Active Transponder selected in the Setup menu?
The Quality Meter only lights up if the TP you have selected is active.

Lak7 yes I did and re-checked it again and still only 37% and 0% I use the one for ABC News now Frq. 11955V SR 28800

It looks like the dish is simply misaligned. It might not be that simple and fast to aim it for the first time ever to a linear sat. Check, if you aimed your motor 0 correctly at true south first. You didn't tell, what exact aiming steps you gone through to get to the point you're at now, apart from setting bracket angles.

Well here is and update, the motor works fine but the LNBF doesn't. A co-worker brought over a Birddog Satellite Meter. He used to install them, but thats another story. He Hook it up to the second output on the lnbf and it listed nothing we move the dish and motor around and still nothing. So this week I'll order a new lnbf and he let me hang onto the birddog till I'm done.
Musher

You just hook a coax from the receiver to an LNB port, and see if you have signal strength around 60+ after selecting proper LNB params in the receiver. If you do, the LNB port is OK, move to the next one. No need for Birdog at all to check that, but it may be more difficult for a newbie to find Linear Sat signals with Birdog compare to a small TV Set, especially if the Birdog firmware is not updated and customized properly, as its factory bin is mostly tailored to catch Circular Sats fast.

We try'ed that still the signal at 37%. I took the motor off and set the dish like a fixed one and try'ed for 89.0W and set the receiver too and still the signal at 37%.

On the birddog I did updated the firmware on saturday mornning and set it for what I was doing. We set the dish for elevation to what dish pointer said 40' for 89.0w and did skew the lnbfand still only 37% So it is the lnbf.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts