Need Installation advice...

skenney

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2004
North Syracuse, NY
Well, I had the installer here today (for a superdish install – zip 13212) only to find out that there are too many distant trees for a standard roof or pole mount (~6ft high) without going way out into the front yard. Too many problems for me w/ that location… too close to the neighbor’s driveway which doubles as a basketball court, and snowplowing issues in winter, just to name a few. I think he was mainly having trouble w/ the satellite for local channels. He did have a another possible location that would require some tree trimming on my part, but would still be close, based on the height of the standard pole they use (dish network installer) which I think is about 6ft. This location had to clear over my neighbor’s garage and the distant trees mentioned before. He said I could call one of the independent local companies and they may be able to put in a taller pole (would this cost me extra?), or have some other ideas. With that in mind, for a superdish, what would you guys think would be the max height I could go on an unsupported straight pole cemented in the ground? Or what other alternatives might you have?

So right now I'm sitting here w/ no installation planned and feeling pretty disappointed after today... hope you guys can help.

Thanks, Steve

Steve, go to your local home improvement store i.e Lowes. Menards and see if they have 10 foot or so terminating post for chain length fencing. Terminating post will support a Super Dish.

Like Wobbie said, get a pole for chainlink. Myself, I tried cementing mine into the ground, but found unless you are prepared to make a deep hole for the cement, it won't be stable. Also, keep in mind as the cement dries it will shift the pole slightly, and you need that pole to be 100% vertical level, or you will have aiming issues. The poles in the ground for street signs don't have to be so perfect.

What I ended up doing was putting the pole next to my deck, and then getting brackets (found them in the electrical dept of Home Hardware; I don't recall the name but they look like the Greek letter Omega) and took those brackets and fastened the pole to my deck. For leveling the pole I took very small pieces of 1/8" thick basebord and added them where needed until it was level.

Hope that helps.

In looking at one of the alternative locations… I’m going to try to get someone to come back in the next week or so, and give me some more specific ‘documented’ plans on which trees/branches need to be cleared. And if the ‘superdish’ is to be mounted on a pole; what dia x length and exact location, so that I can have it installed and ‘set’ when they come for the install.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe the satellite he was having trouble with, was the 121 (for local channels)… My neighbors just had a superdish installed with a clear line of sight for all 3 satellites. Here’s an off the wall thought… for that one satellite (121), can I connect to an ‘out’ feed of their dp34 switch (with their approval) and connect it to the ‘in’ feed on my switch, instead of the one from my dish and have everything work fine technically speaking. Their dish is approximately 30 ft away and 1 story up from where I think my dish may end up. And if you wanna just throw a big fat tuna up in my face for even suggesting this, go right ahead.

I’d appreciate any comments.

Thanks, Steve

Yeah - actually, if the neighbors are willing, you can take all 3 birds straight off the cascade ports of their DP34 right into your DP34 without causing them ANY issues at all.

Now, the trick is to get someone to (not)install YOUR SuperDish. DNSC would object, but an independent just might be happy to do it - it'll save him time. If he's got any integrity, he'll want solid proof that it's OK with the neighbor.

Then you end up with a SD reflector and LNBFs in the garage. ;)

No harm, no foul, E* still gets their monthly money.

Thanks guys...

Thanks guys... that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll keep you posted on how I make out.

1) Is their a cable length limit between switches, or would it just be for the total run?

2) Would their need to be any extra considerations made for grounding?

Thanks, Steve

A1: Total run is key - keep it under 200 feet end-to-end (LNBF to receiver). Less is better, for sure, because I don't know if the DP34 has loss, or a built-in amplifier. The OUTPUT side of it should have an amp, so consider that side of the equation.

A2: EXCELLENT QUESTION. This is one case where grounding to the house's electrical systems is probably NOT a good idea. Find out what the existing ground setup is, and post back - we should be able to get some opinions on it. ;)

SimpleSimon said:
A2: EXCELLENT QUESTION. This is one case where grounding to the house's electrical systems is probably NOT a good idea. Find out what the existing ground setup is, and post back - we should be able to get some opinions on it. ;)

Just been lurking around lately... I had the dish installed recently (superdish on the roof) and as expected, no LOS to 121. I have had a chance to get my neighbors approval for connecting to their dp34, however I haven't had a chance to check out the grounding of their system. I don't believe mine was grounded to the house's electrical system... I know the trace ground on the dual cable is connected to the cold water line just inside the house, not sure if anything was done w/ the dish. I still need to get out and get a better look and take some pictures of the install. As far as making the connection, I'm actually gonna wait it out a bit anyhow till all the leaves fall just in case that's enough to get a LOS.

A couple of questions...

1 - With all the grounding talk going on here on the forum, maybe I could get some more opinions (regarding grounding) of picking up the 121 from my neighbors dp34.

2 - Even though I have subscribed to my locals, I don't see any guide info. Will the guide automatically update once I complete a 'check switch' and can 'see' the 121 (where all my locals are) ?

Thanks again for all your valuable input. I've learned so much in the short time I've been visiting these forums.

Steve

I've said my piece until you find out what the current grounding setup is. I'd also want to know the distances involved, and how "close" electrically the two houses are. For example, townhomes usually share line transformers - and therefore a center-tap. This effectively makes them part of the same "house", electrically speaking.

:sleeo Ooopps. Forgot about this one... Actually once all the leaves fell, my locals have been coming in fine w/ a minor miss every now and again. Right now I'm getting 55 on Sat 121 TP 03 (which is the only one that matters). Ref - Zip is 13212, AZ 248 Elev 23 Skew 127. Although we haven't too much snow, so far it hasn't been a problem. I'll probably start thinking about it (and be able to get more info on the grounding) once spring/summer arrives and the leaves once again block my LOS !

Steve

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)