Need more outputs than 4x8 multiswitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I currently have a Zinwell WB68 4x8 multiswitch being used with the AT9 dish. I was fine until I installed an HR10-250 and now instead of the 8 outputs, I need 9 outputs so I can put a second cable to the new DVR.

I contacted D* hoping that since they installed the original setup a couple weeks ago that they would give me a replacement 12 output multiswitch. After going through a few reps I finally got to the dept that does retail installs. She said after checking with someone else that I could request a $99 install and hopefully the installer would bring out a 16 output (she didn't show any 12's) but there would be no guarantee of that.

The other option she gave is for me to go purchase a 3x4(?) multiswitch on my own for a lot cheaper and attach it to 2 outputs of the 4x8 to get 2 additional lines. I saw that you can't use OTA anymore with the AT9 so I guess the OTA input on the 3x4 would be unused.

I am assuming that connecting 2 multiswitches together won't lower signal strength. Since I am still learning at all this, does that sound right that for the cheapest cost I need to get a 3x4 and hook it up as she said? If so, any recommendations on a brand?

If not, what other solutions?
Thanks,
Jeff

The only way a 2x4 multiswitch would work in that setup is if the cables going from that switch go into standard (non HD) IRD's. 2x4 switches can only pass the 101 signal. The 2 cables that the HR10-250 use must come from the Zinwell switch. If all your IRD's are HD then you'll need additional 4x8 switches, none of which would pass the 103/99 (when it comes online) signals. It's possible to take 2 cables from the WB68 into the 2x4 then the 4 out cables to the IRD's, provided those IRD's only get standard service.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I might be okay then. I only have 2 HD IRD's, the one DVR and one H20 so that will account for 3 outputs. The rest are all D11's or R15's. That would leave 3 on the Zinwell for future HD if needed and then 4 on the new switch. Did I understand that all okay? If so, any recommendation on a brand of 2x4 switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)