Need more outputs than 4x8 multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I currently have a Zinwell WB68 4x8 multiswitch being used with the AT9 dish. I was fine until I installed an HR10-250 and now instead of the 8 outputs, I need 9 outputs so I can put a second cable to the new DVR.

I contacted D* hoping that since they installed the original setup a couple weeks ago that they would give me a replacement 12 output multiswitch. After going through a few reps I finally got to the dept that does retail installs. She said after checking with someone else that I could request a $99 install and hopefully the installer would bring out a 16 output (she didn't show any 12's) but there would be no guarantee of that.

The other option she gave is for me to go purchase a 3x4(?) multiswitch on my own for a lot cheaper and attach it to 2 outputs of the 4x8 to get 2 additional lines. I saw that you can't use OTA anymore with the AT9 so I guess the OTA input on the 3x4 would be unused.

I am assuming that connecting 2 multiswitches together won't lower signal strength. Since I am still learning at all this, does that sound right that for the cheapest cost I need to get a 3x4 and hook it up as she said? If so, any recommendations on a brand?

If not, what other solutions?
Thanks,
Jeff

The only way a 2x4 multiswitch would work in that setup is if the cables going from that switch go into standard (non HD) IRD's. 2x4 switches can only pass the 101 signal. The 2 cables that the HR10-250 use must come from the Zinwell switch. If all your IRD's are HD then you'll need additional 4x8 switches, none of which would pass the 103/99 (when it comes online) signals. It's possible to take 2 cables from the WB68 into the 2x4 then the 4 out cables to the IRD's, provided those IRD's only get standard service.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I might be okay then. I only have 2 HD IRD's, the one DVR and one H20 so that will account for 3 outputs. The rest are all D11's or R15's. That would leave 3 on the Zinwell for future HD if needed and then 4 on the new switch. Did I understand that all okay? If so, any recommendation on a brand of 2x4 switch?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts