Need new receiver - Advice?

Cowchip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Minnesota
My old 622 just isn't going to last much longer and I need to upgrade to something else but haven't been keeping up with what options are available. Is the Hopper with Sling the box to get? I have one other TV that I'm running off of TV2 so that is only in SD, but from what I see a Joey would take care of that, correct?

The 622 was purchased so is my only option to buy a new box outright or how does it work now? Is it best to go right through DISH or are there better/cheaper alternatives to purchasing new equipment?

I currently have a Slingbox but I wouldn't mind removing that from my system if the Hopper can perform that function in one box.

Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

You can lease for little or nothing up front.

Wait a few days for the big announcement at CES. Might be an even newer Hopper version. Or new software for current models.

But yes, Hopper With Sling is the latest and greatest. THIS week.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

CES had crossed my mind as well, but I'm running on borrowed time with my 622 to wait for new boxes to roll out.

One more thing: Is a new dish required? I currently have the 500.

I would prefer just to install the equipment myself and not have to deal with setting up installation appointments, etc.

You really need a new dish. 1000.2 or 1000.4. You may have two or three "eyes" on the LNB, depending upon which arc you're on. If you're still using a 500, I don't think you're getting all the programming you're paying for.

Make sure you transfer everything to an EHD. If you're having problems, I'd do it now. The Hopper will read it fine- well, there are some current problems but that should be cleared up in early to mid January.

The wiring is different. Dish to node to STB(s) maybe via tap.

The Joey, BTW, has composite and HDMI outputs but no coax.

I stumbled upon different wiring schemes for the Hopper and noticed the node. With a coax running from my 622 to my 2nd TV I think a tap would work at the Hopper to send the signal to the Joey.

As far as the EHD is concerned, I did transfer my programs last week but now when I go to access the EHD it says it has to be formatted to work with the DVR. *bangshead*

DO NOT FORMAT IT!

This is a temporary bug due to be fixed beginning 1/10/14.

I didn't. I was hoping it was due to my 622 going bonkers so I just left it alone.

Just got off the phone with Dish. Sounds like they'll provide the equipment at no charge but my monthly fee will go up a little. The only drawback is that they won't send out the equipment without scheduling an installer to do it. It will take me 10 minutes to adapt my wiring to the Hopper requirements and not have to take 1/2 day off of work for the installer appointment. Come on!

From my research it really doesn't appear to be that difficult and I'm completely familiar with the wiring in my house to know what has to be changed for the Hopper. A solo node and a tap is all I need. Well, and the equipment that Dish won't send... :rolleyes:

If you are otherwise happy with the functionality of your owned 622, add the service plan to your account and have Dish replace it for free. By the way, Based on your description, you probably have a first generation 1000 dish. If Dish replaces your 622, the whole process would likley be a self install one.

It's not just the wiring. The installer will go thru the downloading of the software, paring the remotes and linking the Joey to the Hopper. They may also have to replace your dish. If they are going to throw it in for free, why not accept it and let them do the work.

It's not just the wiring. The installer will go thru the downloading of the software, paring the remotes and linking the Joey to the Hopper. They may also have to replace your dish. If they are going to throw it in for free, why not accept it and let them do the work.

You may call that work, but that's fun time for me. :)

The install isn't free, it's $95. But it isn't about the money but more so having to mess around with installation appointments and having to take time off of work for something I could easily do myself. If this was a new installation no question I'd pay to have them run cable and mount the dish, etc., but this is nothing like that and my infrastructure is in place to make this job a slam dunk.

Get the protection plan and the install will be minimal cost. After 2 or 3 months you can drop the plan but you have backup until then.
-Ken

You may call that work, but that's fun time for me. :)

The install isn't free, it's $95. But it isn't about the money but more so having to mess around with installation appointments and having to take time off of work for something I could easily do myself. If this was a new installation no question I'd pay to have them run cable and mount the dish, etc., but this is nothing like that and my infrastructure is in place to make this job a slam dunk.

Protection plan would make that install cost $15 (or zero). If you add the protection plan, you can remove it any time, but if you remove it short of 120 days, there is a $25 early termination fee. Keep or delete, adding the PP makes the install cheaper.

Folks have discussed it a lot here, but with the Hopper install, at least for leased equipment, Dish wants someone out to make sure it's installed correctly. Now, if you want to go and buy all the equipment from a retailer (online or otherwise), you can do your own install.

Your dish needs to be replaced as well as probably the cable. Need a dual cable to the node. Also needs to be 3G cable all the way to the Hopper.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Just because a cable is not sweep tested to 3Ghz does not mean it will not carry it. the old dish 1000 would work as well as it does have 2 dpp outputs.

Sure it would be ideal to replace both, but probably not necessary.

Some of the current 3ghz cable I have seen looks pretty cheesy compared to some of the 30 year old Belden cable I still have in stock.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts