Need new receiver - Suggestions?

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
Hello,

Due to a ruptured water pipe, my Fortec Classic NA receiver has bitten the dust. The power supply board inside is completely burned.

I need to replace it, but don't know where to start. I have a motorized dish. Will most receivers control motorized systems with USALS?

I am not looking for anything fancy, just a nice receiver that will not break the bank. Insurance didn't give me much to replace it with, so, that's where I am....

Thanks in advance.

At thiis time think I'd go with a Amiko Mini HD or the Geosatpro microHD

I was going to ask the same question, but I want an FTA receiver that has an ATSC input. I want to watch PBS at 125W as well as several OTA channels. My Pansat 9200 HD works well but they're getting harder to get.

My next FTA receiver is for my second HDTV which has a lousy ATSC tuner. The X2, GeoSatPro, and Amiko sound nice but they don't have an input for my UHF antenna. I've learned that the Jynxbox V10 has slots for both 8PSK and ATSC tuners. Can anybody vouch for the Jynxbox ATSC tuner?

J

I was going to ask the same question, but I want an FTA receiver that has an ATSC input. I want to watch PBS at 125W as well as several OTA channels. My Pansat 9200 HD works well but they're getting harder to get.
My next FTA receiver is for my second HDTV which has a lousy ATSC tuner. The X2, GeoSatPro, and Amiko sound nice but they don't have an input for my UHF antenna. I've learned that the Jynxbox V10 has slots for both 8PSK and ATSC tuners. Can anybody vouch for the Jynxbox ATSC tuner?

J
I've seen the Linkbox 8000 HD Local on ebay and it says they do FTA and ATSC but I don't know any more than that about it. Perhaps someone can post their experience into its build quality, stability & functionality.:)

You might check out the Amiko A3 receiver used with a SiliconDust LAN tuner and Android apps. Two ATSC tuners and must more flexible features (like signal meter on your tablet or phone at the antenna) with the Android apps! The latest hardware versions are very sensitive and a real benefit is that it can be shared across multiple platforms in your home!

For the next 3 days the latest SiliconDust ATSC dual tuner is only $69 at Newegg! http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/N82E16815345015

or $99 for the MPEG4 unit: http://www.neweggflash.com/product/N82E16815345014

Yep, I just bought another!

Last edited:
Reactions: jorgek and scopus
I've seen the Linkbox 8000 HD Local on ebay and it says they do FTA and ATSC but I don't know any more than that about it. Perhaps someone can post their experience into its build quality, stability & functionality.:)

I have one. I had to send mine back, and i got the Local premium unit, and that seems to be stable. I had problems with the NON premium unit. But, who knows if it was my unit specifically or the firmware. I might be willing to sell you my unit if your interested. By the time i had got my unit shipped back to me, i had already got hooked on my Amiko HDSE. I don't get very many ATSC channels, so I just never kept it installed other than testing it for days after getting the unit back from the manufacturer.

WOW!!! That is fast. I did the same thing with something I ordered last week from Amazon. I ordered it around 9PM EST UPS came by the house 7PM next evening.
I have discovered it depends on which warehouse they have the stock of stuff you order.

That's cheap $69 wonder if anybody has ever put one in an NEMA case and Put on top of a hill or Mountain sent it back down the Mountain via wireless ptp

Hi, all! To pile onto this thread.... Is the Linkbox 8000 HD (in all flavors) the best FTA receiver that is UHF remote-capable? I am planning to leave Dish when my contract runs out in a few months. I have my satellite wires coming in to my basement, but my main viewing is in the living room upstairs. I had a Pansat 2500 years ago and still have the U-50 antenna for that. However, if there's a better receiver that can be controlled from another floor of my house, I'm game.

You might check out the Amiko A3 receiver used with a SiliconDust LAN tuner and Android apps. Two ATSC tuners and must more flexible features (like signal meter on your tablet or phone at the antenna) with the Android apps! The latest hardware versions are very sensitive and a real benefit is that it can be shared across multiple platforms in your home!

For the next 3 days the latest SiliconDust ATSC dual tuner is only $69 at Newegg! http://www.neweggflash.com/Product/N82E16815345015

or $99 for the MPEG4 unit: http://www.neweggflash.com/product/N82E16815345014

Yep, I just bought another!

Dammit missed it!!!! I love my old legacy HDhomerun for ATSC on my Amiko A3, phones, tablets and computer but want the cablecard/ATSC combo version so I can tie in my Comcast. A3 would make a way better Xfinity/Comcast (+FTA & IPTV) box than the Xfinity boxes. :)

Hi, all! To pile onto this thread.... Is the Linkbox 8000 HD (in all flavors) the best FTA receiver that is UHF remote-capable? I am planning to leave Dish when my contract runs out in a few months. I have my satellite wires coming in to my basement, but my main viewing is in the living room upstairs. I had a Pansat 2500 years ago and still have the U-50 antenna for that. However, if there's a better receiver that can be controlled from another floor of my house, I'm game.
The Amiko A3 is by far the best RF remote satellite receiver available. You could also use an RF keyboard with a USB dongle.

I have been using the 8000HD Local daily since September 2013. It is not perfect but it works well and is an excellent PVR. The terrestrial tuner is quite sensitive. As a satellite box goes it works better than many I have used and I have never had the urge to hurl it out the window. :biggrin2

Reactions: Elkview and FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts