Need New Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdsat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
My friend the dish doctor let me borrow another pansat 2700A and it turns out that it wasn't my dish or motor that needed repair, it was my receiver. That is a relief for me because I don't need to climb on my roof . . . .

But, now I need to purchase a new receiver. The dish doctor will sell me the used pansat 2700A for $120 and I can just swap it out without any big challenges. However, I'm wondering if there is a different receiver that I could buy that would do blind scans (or smart searches) significantly faster than the 2700a? If so, I'd be very tempted to buy the new unit because my primary use is searching for sports feeds.

What would you do?

I am glad you solved your problem, I have heard that the Coolsat 5000 has a faster scan, I think some would recommend the Traxis 3500 too (but it has problems with AC3).

I have a Pansat 3500 and I like it, I wish it would scan faster, I like that it has a SD card slot (Thats the main difference between it and the 2700) .

I don't think I would give $120 for a used 2700A receiver. Pansat doesn't make 2700A anymore. I would offer no more than $100. Look around and check out the other FTA receivers for $120 or little more so you can have a warranty. If money is tight then find a good used receiver and buy from someone you know and trust,
If my Pansat 3700A go out, I may go for the 2800, or the SM model. Pansat makes excellent receivers!

So, are there any receivers that have a dramatically faster blind scan? My pansat 2700A can scan anywhere from a few minutes to 25 minutes depending on how much is on a satellite. If I could find a receiver that would always take just a few minutes, it would probably be worth purchasing. If not, although it may not be the best deal in the world, I'm tempted just to keep the used 2700a from the dish doctor because it would be by far the easiest thing to swap out.

Any thoughts or experiences with alternate receivers would be very welcome! Thanks

the coolsat 5k is fast blind scanner has a fairly frendly menu system. the coolsat 5k is no longer being made but still in the system being sold, you can get the 6k which has more memory. Coolsats have a 5 year warrenty if bought from a dealer but will have to see if they honor those on discontinued models.

the traxis 3500 is slightly faster with a blind scan but currently has a ac-3 pass through problem ( which they say they will fix ) its probably the cheapest to clock in at around $70

if you could wait for the passion to hit the market i think you would see a few used receivers go up forsale .

the traxis 3500 is slightly faster with a blind scan but currently has a ac-3 pass through problem ( which they say they will fix ) its probably the cheapest to clock in at around $70

if you could wait for the passion to hit the market i think you would see a few used receivers go up forsale .
I've read where MrTim (DMSI) says they are close to getting an AC-3 fix for the Traxis 3500, and it may be as early as next week. Also, I think it is probably the fastest blind scan (with best results) out there?
And there probably will be a few receivers go up for sell when the Passion comes out, but although I plan to have one, I doubt I will get rid of any of my receivers, as I like to play around with them to much.

Al

OK, what is the passion? Is that the 4:2:2 plus 4:2:0? When is it supposed to come out?

How Hard is it?

Because my original dish was installed by a professional, I am a little concerned that I won't be able to figure out how to "install" a new receiver. For example, I've never had to find true south, etc.

Now, once my system was installed, I learned a ton about searching, finding new satellites, peaking the dish, blind scan, etc. I think I'm a relatively sophisticated user at this point.

When I connected the loaner pansat 2700a, I don't know if I was just lucky or not, but I very easily located G10r. My primary purpose was to see if I could get my dish to move so I wasn't really trying to find a satellite. I chose G-10r because I knew it had so many channels. When I went to the 1.2 menu to move the dish, I pushed east or west a few times and boom, I had 74% quality. That makes me wonder whether the loaner pansat works better with my system because my original system was set up with a pansat.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the general steps in setting up a new receiver and would they be more difficult with a coolsat 5000 than a pansat 2700a?

Thanks again!

As long as you use the old receiver (the 2700) to move the dish to your true south, connect the new receiver and set it up for your true south there should be no problems.

As long as you use the old receiver (the 2700) to move the dish to your true south, connect the new receiver and set it up for your true south there should be no problems.

OK, I'm sorry to show my ignorance. But, I've never had to figure out true south, etc. How would I go about finding my true south satellite? Thanks again!

OK. I tried to do some of my own work and it looks like my "true south" satellite is Satmex 5. So, is it really as simple as moving to Satmex 5 before I connect the new receiver and then telling it that we are at true south?

OK. I tried to do some of my own work and it looks like my "true south" satellite is Satmex 5. So, is it really as simple as moving to Satmex 5 before I connect the new receiver and then telling it that we are at true south?

Yes it is that simple, before you connect the satellite to the new receiver you should set the new receiver up first, with your latitude, longitude information.

OK, so I've now spent a fair amount of time surfing to gather opinions on a new receiver. I think I've settled on the Coolsat 6000. I can get the Coolsat 6000 for $145 including shipping and it will be here before the weekend (some outlets still have the 5000 for around $125, but the extra $20 for a newer model that is still being manufactured seems worth it to me).

Before I order one, I'm just sending out one last message requesting any input. I'd particularly appreciate any concerns that I'd be making a big mistake.

Thanks!

Now $99.95

I just found a coolsat 6000 at FTASAT4LESS for $99.95. Any good or bad experiences with FTASAT4LESS? With the coolsat 6000?

Thanks!

never heard of them but I have the 5000 which is pretty much the same and it works great...its a workhorse :)
Used mine 2 years now

FTASAT4LESS charges $40 for shipping. So, they are basically the same net price as everyone else. But, it annoys me that they hide $40 for shipping in the price to make it look lower. So, I'll probably go elsewhere.

OOF!

Sounds like an ebay seller...sell a SG2100 motor for 9.99 and tack a 80 dollar shipping charge on it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts