Need new subscriber equipment advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joeyjojojnr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Seems that there are lots of equipment options for Dish. I was hoping I could get some advice in here.

What I'd like to have:

2 TVs connected. 1 HD, 1 not.

Maybe a 3rd TV at sometime in the future.

I'm leaning towards the basic Turbo HD with the $10 add-on for the extra 6 channels or so. Can you use that service with a non-HD set?

DVR...I'm rather indifferent to it. Can a Dish DVR record OTA digital channels via attenae? If I have to get local channels as well, I think I'd rather just eventually hook up a PC and use Hulu or the like. So, a DVR isn't required at this point, unless it makes sense to get it now rather than try to upgrade down the road if that's a pain to do.

An HD dvr can be a dual tuner with HD output for tv1 and sd for tv2 running independently (the two tv's can view different programing. There is a third tuner for OTA which will dvr the digital/HD signals, but will not have analog. Also, if you do not subscribe to your local channels, the OTA channels will not have guide info, you can still record but you will need to set manual timers. Locals are only an additional $5 per month and will give sd as well as HD should Dish have them available. Dish charges a fee to upgrade receivers, but the initial one when you sign up you get free, makes sense to get the better unit first. Also note, for the programing you list, there is a dvr fee of $5.98 per month and there is also an access fee should you go with a dual tuner receiver and do not connect a phone line or hook up the receiver to a eithernet connection to a dsl.

I think I'm already confused. ;o)

It sounds like if I get local channels, I don't get any of the sub-channels. As such, I'd rather just stick with the antennae. Most of my DVRing, I think, would be network series, and these days, between Hulu and NetFlix, I think I'd have that covered.

So, if I forgo the DVR, what does that leave for suggestions options? Or is the dual-TV DVR still the best option even if I forgo the actual DVR service?

It'd be easy to connect the box to the ethernet network (or a phone), so no big deal there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)