Need opinions/suggestions regarding my situation!

row

Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
California
Hi all, newbie here. I need an opinion regarding my situation. This post may be long, so sorry in advanced!

I currently have Dish Network. We have 5 TVS (all HD--but only utilizing 4), a 722k, 211k, and 211. I'm moving in the beginning of May and am wondering whether or not I even want to keep Dish. Dish has been good overall, but I am not very fond of their customer service. A few months into the service, we had an issue with our UHF remote and antenna for TV 2. A remote replacement did not fix the issue, so a technician was sent out. He ended up fixing the issue, and upgraded our 211k to a 622. He convinced my dad (who does not speak very good English) that upgrading would result in being able to use our 5th TV, and would also give us a 2nd DVR. He failed to mention that upgrading would extend our contract and that we would incur extra monthly fees. Once I got home and learned that we were upgraded, I immediately got online and chatted with Dish. I knew the upgrade wasn't completely "free". The CSR confirmed that our contract was indeed extended and that we would have to pay for the additional tuner and DVR. After going back and forth and speaking to several people, they finally told me to return the DVR and that they would revert all changes on our account. They sent us a 211 and we returned the 622. Fast forward to today--I chatted with Dish because I wanted to learn more about the Dish Mover Program, the Hopper/Joey, and also wanted to know exactly when our contract will end. Sure enough, that upgrade (which was supposed to be undone) came back to haunt me. Dish did not revert that contract extension. Our contract is supposed to end in Aug of this year, but they were still telling me Apr 2013. I was told sorry, nothing can be done. Once we upgraded, it automatically extended the contract another 2 years. Again, after speaking to several people and demanding to speak to higher-ups, I finally got that issue resolved (hopefully they noted my account this time). Our contract ends on 8/28/12. Now the question is, should I stay with Dish? If I do, I would like to upgrade to the Hopper/Joey system. These are my options:
  • Stay with Dish, use Dish Mover Program to have satellite and receivers installed in new place, and upgrade to Hopper & 3 Joeys. I was quoted $100 for the equipment and $99 for installation. I'm hoping I can get that installation fee waived. If I were to stay with what we have and not upgrade, installation in the new home would be free anyway, right? Why wouldn't they be able to install the Hopper system for free? The new home is also pre-wired for cable and satellite, so installation should be a breeze.
  • Cancel Dish, pay early termination fee, and open new account under my name. Equipment would be free if I subscribe to America's top 200 (don't really need that many channels) and installation would be free. I would also be able to take advantage of new customer pricing/promos.
  • Drop Dish, pay early termination fee, and go with DirecTV.

Need some opinions/suggestions, please! Thank you :D

Can't make any recommendations regarding the hardware and moving, but I can tell you that lots of people have had bad customer service with DirecTV too, myself included. I think no matter which TV provider you go with, there will be lots of people out there with horror stories, so I personally might just go with whoever gives you the best deal on the hardware that you actually want. Maybe it makes me not loyal, but that's how I do it...

I've had DirecTV years ago but left them since they would not offer us any upgrades after being customers for ~10 years. When we finally decided we wanted HD, they would not budge on the equipment upgrades. The second we got Dish, DirecTV called us and offered to pay our early termination fee, plus the equipment we wanted for free. I don't get it...but now I'm at that point where I have to make a decision again. I think I'll stay with Dish. I just need to do more research on the Hopper/Joey system. Since there are only 3 of us in the house, we won't need to run more than 3 TVs at a time, so I think 1 hopper/3 joeys should be fine...unless someone on here convinces me otherwise.

Directv did the same thing to me... They wouldnt offer me squat with deals but the moment I got dish, I got phone call after phone call of them offering me deals to stay with them. They all do it but I will say that in your situation a 1 hopper and 3 Joey should work great. If there's ever a conflict with a show, you can always recorded the repeat episode. The hopper I will say is fast with channel changing and I like the logos and channel banner as well. Overall they did a really nice job with it. You will like the system.

I've had DirecTV years ago but left them since they would not offer us any upgrades after being customers for ~10 years. When we finally decided we wanted HD, they would not budge on the equipment upgrades. The second we got Dish, DirecTV called us and offered to pay our early termination fee, plus the equipment we wanted for free. I don't get it...but now I'm at that point where I have to make a decision again. I think I'll stay with Dish. I just need to do more research on the Hopper/Joey system. Since there are only 3 of us in the house, we won't need to run more than 3 TVs at a time, so I think 1 hopper/3 joeys should be fine...unless someone on here convinces me otherwise.
Read the thread on adding a second hopper after install. Three tuners for three TV's is pushing it especially during prime viewing times. My suggestion would be 2H/3J for your 5 HDTV's.

what are your recording habits?
do you record mainly the big 4 networks? can you get them in hd? (will ptat work for you?)

2 hoppers would be your minimum requirement with 3 possible viewers
that would leave a minimum of 2 tuners to record sat and 1 for ptat.

if this is enough, then stay with dish

if not then look into other options

or compare the 2 technologies/channel options and see what fits your viewing habits

what are your recording habits?
do you record mainly the big 4 networks? can you get them in hd? (will ptat work for you?)

2 hoppers would be your minimum requirement with 3 possible viewers
that would leave a minimum of 2 tuners to record sat and 1 for ptat.

We don't record a ton. After reading a bunch of threads, I think our recording is minimal compared to the majority of the people on here. I probably have no more than 3 or 4 timers set right now on my 722. I'd say about half are from the big 4 networks.

I am trying to understand the system more, but it's a bit confusing. Dish CSRs also don't help very much as they just copy and paste a script when I chat with them online. If I go the 1 hopper/3 joey route, what does that mean for us during prime time, if PTAT is activated? 2 can watch anything, 1 must watch a recorded show? What if PTAT is switched off? All 3 of us can watch whatever we choose, correct?

We don't record a ton. After reading a bunch of threads, I think our recording is minimal compared to the majority of the people on here. I probably have no more than 3 or 4 timers set right now on my 722. I'd say about half are from the big 4 networks.

I am trying to understand the system more, but it's a bit confusing. Dish CSRs also don't help very much as they just copy and paste a script when I chat with them online. If I go the 1 hopper/3 joey route, what does that mean for us during prime time, if PTAT is activated? 2 can watch anything, 1 must watch a recorded show? What if PTAT is switched off? All 3 of us can watch whatever we choose, correct?

i dont have it, but my understanding is
each joey will use a tuner from the hopper
if all 3 are watching something live, only what is being watched can be recorded
this should allow the ptat to record as normal if one of watchers is watching a network show

ptat only works if you get hd locals from dish

if there is any chance of all 3 people watching at one time i would get 2 hoppers to avoid any conflict

With PTAT activated, 2 could watch something other than that live. The other one could watch one of the channels being recorded with PTAT or 'join' with one of the other 2 channels watching live, or watch a recorded event.

With PTAT not used, then all 3 could be watching what they want live, or watch a recorded event.

if there is any chance of all 3 people watching at one time i would get 2 hoppers to avoid any conflict

With PTAT not used, then all 3 could be watching what they want live, or watch a recorded event.

We are almost always watching on 3 separate TVs, but I just think 2 hoppers is a bit much to avoid those few rare occasions where one of us doesn't have the ability to watch what we want. I don't think the cost of the extra hopper up front and the monthly charge is worth it. Maybe shutting off PTAT for us is the way to go...I'll keep doing research. Thanks for the suggestions!

We are almost always watching on 3 separate TVs, but I just think 2 hoppers is a bit much to avoid those few rare occasions where one of us doesn't have the ability to watch what we want. I don't think the cost of the extra hopper up front and the monthly charge is worth it. Maybe shutting off PTAT for us is the way to go...I'll keep doing research. Thanks for the suggestions!
The monthly charge would be the same whether it is a Hopper or Joey, $7. If all three TV's are in use at once watching live programming, you would have 0 tuners available to record.

The monthly charge would be the same whether it is a Hopper or Joey, $7. If all three TV's are in use at once watching live programming, you would have 0 tuners available to record.

Thanks for correcting me. Maybe I will go the 2H/2J route so I don't end up regretting it in the future.

Thanks for correcting me. Maybe I will go the 2H/2J route so I don't end up regretting it in the future.
I just think that three tuners with three TV's is just not enough. There will be times that you want to be watching TV and recording. Two Hoppers gives you that flexibility and the extra cost is not much. When the Hoppers are integrated, which has been promised to be soon, all six tuners on both Hoppers will be available to all TV's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)