Need phone line connection?

ksat1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
We are new subscribers to Dish, still waiting for install. Ordered an HD dual tuner w/o dvr (ViP222?). From what I've read, it needs to be connected to a phone line at all times, to avoid a $5/mth fee of some sort?? Other than not being able to order movies, will the receiver still function correctly without that connection?

Reason I ask, is because we have only been keeping a $30/mth land line (+$10/mth ISP) as our only means for snail's pace dial-up internet. I recently found out we will soon have a wireless high speed option available in our area, for just $25, so would love to switch to that and drop our land line. I can live with the $5/mth DISH charge, and still come out ahead, but am more concerned about any possible technical issues regarding the receiver if not connected to phone line.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

The phone line is used to verify that all the receivers on the account are in one location. The fee is waived if yu are connected either by phone line or the internet.

The phone line is used to verify that all the receivers on the account are in one location. The fee is waived if yu are connected either by phone line or the internet.

Its makes sense to me because if you have a legit account and not trying to cheat dish network. To me if i didnt have a land line i think it would be cheaper to pay the 5.00 than have a phone line.

Think of it this way:

If you had two separate boxes, you would have a fee for programming in the second room. The dual tuner receivers gives you a means of avoiding that fee by connecting to a phone line. Without phone line you pay no more than you would if you had two separate boxes. Don't think of it as a penalty, think of it as an incentive to connect your receiver to phone or broadband internet.

Think of it this way:

If you had two separate boxes, you would have a fee for programming in the second room. The dual tuner receivers gives you a means of avoiding that fee by connecting to a phone line. Without phone line you pay no more than you would if you had two separate boxes. Don't think of it as a penalty, think of it as an incentive to connect your receiver to phone or broadband internet.

...and for easy access to PPV. ;)

The 222 is a total POS. If you haven't already been installed change your order to either a 722 or a 211 and 301. I can't count how many 222's I've replaced and how many are faulty out of the box.

The 222 is a total POS. If you haven't already been installed change your order to either a 722 or a 211 and 301. I can't count how many 222's I've replaced and how many are faulty out of the box.

and what does this have to do with needing a phone line?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Thanks much for that note, I'll certainly see what my options are at this point. What's the 211/301 combo?

Just two seperate receivers...both are rock solid. The 211 is a single room HD and the 301 (or 311, same thing) is a single room SD. Neither requires a phone line, but if you were going to connect a phone to the 222 you would save the $5 charge for the second room. If you get two receivers you will have that $5 charge no matter what. If you connect a phone to the 722 you will only pay $1 more per month than having two receivers. ($6 DVR fee vs. $5 addl receiver fee).

Basically its NOT a phone line fee.. dish shouldnt even mention phone line fee. Its an "additional tunner fee"

If you have lets say a 625.. it has dual tunners right? Even if you are using one tv..its dual tunners.. so what dish does is count it as an "additional digital tv" (i know this is crap but they do it) So what they do is if the customer has phone line connected.. they "waive" the fee for tv2. How does this help dish and the customer? Well dish has a tool called the "STB healh dashboard" It tells what channel should be on tv1 and tv2, remote addresses, signal strenght in the past 30 days. Its awesome. The customer benefits because you get fatser troubleshooting times. its a VERY neat tool.

Lets say you have Digital cable and you have 3 boxes.. you pay additional fees for additional tvs right? thats how it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)