Need reccomendation on antenna

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Cable here is shotty is best. it goes out everyday for awhile. I will post my tvfool report. I can use amplified rabbit ears to receive my VHF-hi channels. I use a coat hanger for my UHF and get nothing. I can't put up an outdoor antenna and get great reception on my indoor rabbit ears near a window facing North up high. I need help with a UHF antenna or VHF/UHF indoor antenna that will work that doesn't cost a fortune. Also, does it need to be amplified? http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=d243fe6e1a6d80 Also tried a passive loop antenna for UHF and got nothing. Thanks. PS--I am wanting to pick up WFLI-53, WDSI-61, and WTCI-45 as I already get 3,9,and 12 on VHI-hi.

I'd go with a 4 bay such as this I've installed a few and they've been working good - although all signals here are LOS in the -60 to -80 range. But all have been outdoor.
Would work well outdoors, but if the building has metal siding or metal (foil) lined insulation I'd place it in a window.
Hopefully the window isn't of the 'low E' variety as that is also 'metalized' and will attenuate signal.
Those are pretty weak so an amplifier may help. Might try the RCA TVPRAMP1R (save a few bucks at wallyworld)
Separate VHF & UHF inputs so you can put all into one cable with it.

Reactions: andy_horton
Would one of those RCA Amplified multidirectional flat antenna's work? I only tried one once and couldn't get consistent results...everytime I moved the little coaxial wire from the back of the unit the signal would go up and down.

I'd go with a 4 bay such as this I've installed a few and they've been working good - although all signals here are LOS in the -60 to -80 range. But all have been outdoor.
Would work well outdoors, but if the building has metal siding or metal (foil) lined insulation I'd place it in a window.
Hopefully the window isn't of the 'low E' variety as that is also 'metalized' and will attenuate signal.
Those are pretty weak so an amplifier may help. Might try the RCA TVPRAMP1R (save a few bucks at wallyworld)
Separate VHF & UHF inputs so you can put all into one cable with it.
Thanks, I'll look into this as the price is reasonable and I could add an amp to help out. The duplex is brick and the windows are new. The only place I can get a signal is near the window setting on 2 plastic totes with tin foil on the rabbit ears. But it increased the signal by about 10-15 points consistently.

multidirectional flat antenna's
I've never seen one, of any brand, that works on anything other than very local LOS signals. Amplified or not. If you were in a city/suburban area and the transmitters are 10 - 15 miles and you can see the towers they might work well. otherwise forget 'em.
Could you get access to the attic? Think that may be better than a window, (Unless it gets snow covered)

Go to Solid Signal and search for a Winegard HD1080 starting at $29.99 plus shipping. Put it high in your north facing window. A couple of strips of DUCT tape should hold it temporarily. If it works as expected try making a mount out of PVC and clamping it in place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts