Need recommendation for FTA receiver please(OTA Antenna suggestions)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Hello friends,

I hope everyone is doing well. Thank you for your advice and help thus far, I appreciate it.

I ordered the 8200XL from solid signal and am waiting to receive it!

Can anyone please give me any suggestions/tips on installing it?

Based on my tvfool report, do I need to install it on the roof? Or can I install it on the ground, since I have plenty of open space?

Thank you so much,
Oxonian

you really only need open space ESE of you as most stations are around 160 on a compass

What do you mean by on the ground? On a deck?
With numbers that good a roof mount is probably not necessary. But if there are any obstructions near the ground that will add to the hindering of reception. But then again having that monster would probably overpower those obstructions ;)

How about a couple of pictures of the house annotated with directions. May see some recommendations.
As ice said "ESE" means the narrow end points there.
If you mean a pole from the ground held to the side of the house, yes, as long as you can get it above the roof line a foot or two and aim it ESE without trees or other obstructions close to it.
BTW, these 8200XL's are HUGE @ over 9' wide and 15' long
(BTW)
I'm closer to Winnipeg, Manitoba than you are to Mexico.
Just read that printed installation instructions are not included but can be downloaded here: http://manuals.solidsignal.com/hd8200xl.pdf

Hello friends,

Thank you for your replies - Iceberg & FatAir.

I was thinking of installing it in the ground (soil), but I can build a cement platform if that is better.

Or if the roof is the best option, I can figure out how to go about that.

I have received the antenna today! Now to figure out how to install it.

Iceberg & FatAir - Can I PM you the photo of the property?

The property has a lot of trees, especially as I move away from the home structure and into the land (there is a total of about 8 acres, some of it heavily wooded, and some open areas).

Do you know what direction the antenna needs to point to?

Do I need to buy some cabling/wire to connect the antenna to the tv? And if so, what is the best way to get it in to the house? Do I need to make a hole somewhere :)

Any other installation tips please?

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it.
Oxonian

I don't recall PMs supporting photos. I could be wrong. Why not post here? Security concerns.

When you talk about mounting on the ground, I get worried about how low that huge antenna will be, and how much it may dip and sway in the wind. You don't want the slightest chance of someone getting hurt, especially a child determined to see if he can knock it over.

You might want to consider a gable mount. Yes, a few more bucks. But no roof penetration. And nice and high. With that good of an antenna, why cripple it with a low mounting, more susceptible to hurting, or being hurt by, someone. And with more signal blocking material.

Stick with RG-6. Avoid quad shield. Shorter runs are better. Perhaps you have a gable or roof vent that you can run the coax thru. Fishing thru walls is really not that hard, if you're handy with tools. Please don't let the coax hang loose down the side of your house and enter the basement. I'll cry.

Think all these were answered earlier, or a question in return.
Ho well, cut and pasted answers.
I was thinking of installing it in the ground (soil),
What do you mean by on the ground?
Can I PM you the photo of the property?
Why not post here? See the "Upload a file" button, that will do it, Option to show as thumbnails. Use is recommmended.
Do you know what direction the antenna needs to point to?
As ice said "ESE" means the narrow end points there. East-South-East.
Do I need to buy some cabling/wire to connect the antenna to the tv? And if so, what is the best way to get it in to the house? Do I need to make a hole somewhere :)
I'd use RG-6 coax, Better in a couple of ways. Should be able to get needed length (50, 100ft) with connectors installed locally at Menards or Lowes (or similar local retailer)
(OK, some typing)
Yes, you'll have to drill some 5/16 or 3/8 holes**. (18 inch drill length recommended)
Just be very careful you don't hit anything else, electric,r heating or cooling etc, just wall and insulation. **Use larger if the coax connectors are pre-installed. Size as necessary. Drill wall with long bit first then Size with a larger but shorter bit.
Some reference links
How to Install a TV Antenna Eave - Facsia Mount
TV ANTENNA INSTALLATION

Thank you friends. I will process all this and get back on here later tonight or tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help.

Oxonian

Hello friends,

I have been using the Solid Signal Xtreme Signal Long Range HD VHF UHF FM Outdoor TV Antenna (HD8200XL) for a few months now, no issues.

I had someone come install it on the roof, and then connect one television, I guess via the coaxial cable??

I want to connect another television in a different room to this antenna. How do I do it? Do I need to run new wire from the antenna to the television in the other room? Or where is the point where I can add a new wire?

I believe I can add a splitter at the location of the current television, but, I think that will look ugly, as I will have to run a wire across room A to room B etc.

A second question - It has been over a year since I tuned the antenna using the existing connection, can I tune it? I think the television has some manual and auto tuning options, or is that not recommended?

Thank you

Iceberg Iceberg86300 FaT Air KE4EST

Yes, it would have been coaxial cable; RG-6 I hope, but could have been RG-59.
I don't know how strong your signals are coming into your antenna(how close your stations are).
You can start simple by putting a splitter, out side below your antenna, just make sure to use weather proof connections and an outdoor approved splitter.
Then hook one side to the TV you have now and then run another coax to the other room, through the attic or crawl space or along outside, so it is not across the living room floor.

If you notice missing channels, especially if the run will be long you can then add a distribution amp.

There is nothing on the antenna really to tune, without modding it. You can however loosen the clamp and try turning it a bit one way or the other.
Is this a fixed antenna or do you have it on a rotor?

Reactions: oxonian
Hello friends,

I have been using the Solid Signal Xtreme Signal Long Range HD VHF UHF FM Outdoor TV Antenna (HD8200XL) for a few months now, no issues.

I had someone come install it on the roof, and then connect one television, I guess via the coaxial cable??

I want to connect another television in a different room to this antenna. How do I do it? Do I need to run new wire from the antenna to the television in the other room? Or where is the point where I can add a new wire?

I believe I can add a splitter at the location of the current television, but, I think that will look ugly, as I will have to run a wire across room A to room B etc.

A second question - It has been over a year since I tuned the antenna using the existing connection, can I tune it? I think the television has some manual and auto tuning options, or is that not recommended?

Thank you

Iceberg Iceberg86300 FaT Air KE4EST
I think his tuning question is really how does he program (SCAN) the channels into the TV. Nothing to do with adjusting the antenna on the roof.

Reactions: oxonian
Thank You. The antenna is mounted on the roof, but there is no rotor. I will look into the cabling option that KE4EST has suggested and get back on here.

Thanks

Reactions: KE4EST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts