Need recommendations for a long range OTA antenna.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Symbol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Puerto Rico
According to antennaweb(zip 00738 PR) I can get a few channels from my apartment. I tried with an old terk tv 50 antenna but I failed to get more than 3 channels. The antenna is mounted on the roof of the building.

Here is the PDF for my AntennaWeb Stations I would like all the yellow channels and WKAQ 2.1 RF28 from the green list.

View attachment AntennaWeb - Stations.pdf

TVFOOL Link to my area
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=1ddaf7f0f51dec

I have access to the roof and I'll be using the RG6 from my dish install since I'm thinking of cutting the cord. I've looked on amazon and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a DB8 by Antennas Direct. This will feed 2 TV's.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EHWCDW/?tag=satell01-20

also I would like to know of any Amps that may help.
Budget 50~100
Thanks guys!

Last edited:
BThats a lot of stations to pick from.
Have you tried the following US government site. I think the results are more realistic.

http://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/mb/engineering/maps/index.html

Based on the distances you should be able to receive those stations with the DB8. However what is the terrain like between you and the tv towers?
Adding an amp will work as long as there is a signal at the antenna. The amp cannot make signals appear if they are not there.

Last edited:
That TV Fool you posted is not right as the coordinates are in the water north of Vieques. Using your zip code 00738 gives a TV Fool with a lot less channels. Please repost your correct TV Fool so we can offer better help.

Sorry, my iphone compass gave me the wrong coordinates. I'll google them in a sec and repost. EDIT http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=1dda8ef4d14aa6 that should be it. I'm seeing its going to be hard to get Telemundo 2.1 , I know WAPA (4.1) is doable as I've gotten it before. I just wan't to get WAPA(4.1) Univision (11.1) and WKAQ(2.1). Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Also I need an antenna with High VHF to get WL11 11.1, I thought about the HBU 33 + an AMP, any other suggestions? Its $40 at solid signal and the AMP is $25.

Going by your Antennaweb you look to be close to sea level, topography is going to be your enemy. You have already ruled out the UHF only antenna because you do want VHF reception. LOS on TVfool can probably be accomplished with HBU33 but 2edge probably won't be doable. HBU55 may be iffy for channel 11 an AMPLIFIER probably won't be a cure for you. You need a good signal before you can amplify it. I am making an educated guess seeing you only list Puerto Rico for an address and antennaweb may not be a good representation of true conditions. You are more familiar with your location tell us more about it.

Going by your Antennaweb you look to be close to sea level, topography is going to be your enemy. You have already ruled out the UHF only antenna because you do want VHF reception. LOS on TVfool can probably be accomplished with HBU33 but 2edge probably won't be doable. HBU55 may be iffy for channel 11 an AMPLIFIER probably won't be a cure for you. You need a good signal before you can amplify it. I am making an educated guess seeing you only list Puerto Rico for an address and antennaweb may not be a good representation of true conditions. You are more familiar with your location tell us more about it.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1370008114.859795.jpg
Thanks for the input boba
I'm in a hilly area, i live of the 5th floor(top floor) of the building. I managed to catch these channels using a small portable digital tv from my balcony but with really weak signal.

I'm trying to get something that has been proven to reach long distances in order to be safe. I will be ordering the antenna and shipping it to my address in Miami since I'm working at the airport there and its easy for me to bring cargo onboard the plane.

I attached a picture of the hills I'm facing so you get a better Idea of what I'm dealing with. Also from ground level to the 5th floor + the mast ill be using theres 50-60ft of elevation for the antenna.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

View attachment 88194
Thanks for the input boba
I'm in a hilly area, i live of the 5th floor(top floor) of the building. I managed to catch these channels using a small portable digital tv from my balcony but with really weak signal.

I'm trying to get something that has been proven to reach long distances in order to be safe. I will be ordering the antenna and shipping it to my address in Miami since I'm working at the airport there and its easy for me to bring cargo onboard the plane.

I attached a picture of the hills I'm facing so you get a better Idea of what I'm dealing with. Also from ground level to the 5th floor + the mast ill be using theres 50-60ft of elevation for the antenna.

All 3 stations you want 2.1/4.1 &11.1 according to your second TVfool are 31.5 miles from you how much elevation is there in that 31 miles? Your picture might cover a distance 5 miles from your balcony how much more is there for blockage of the signal between you and the transmitters? All 3 channels are 239-262 degrees from you and have a 2 edge rating meaning something is blocking LINE OF SIGHT broadcasting between you and the towers.

All 3 stations you want 2.1/4.1 &11.1 according to your second TVfool are 31.5 miles from you how much elevation is there in that 31 miles? Your picture might cover a distance 5 miles from your balcony how much more is there for blockage of the signal between you and the transmitters? All 3 channels are 239-262 degrees from you and have a 2 edge rating meaning something is blocking LINE OF SIGHT broadcasting between you and the towers.

Thanks for the input boba, After reading your post I did some research and just gave up. I currently have internet access at my apartment so I guess I'll hook my laptop to the TV and sling my locals.

I really appreciate all the help and time looking into this issue :)

I tinkered with the antenna I had today and managed to get a weak signal of WAPA(4.1). but thats basically it. Telemundo(2.1) is on the same location as WAPA. Univision (11.1) is nowhere to be found yet. I'm tempted to buy an antenna to at least lock 4.1's signal. What do you think of this? and Thanks for keeping up with me boba :)

If you want to go for it I suggest Antenna Craft HBU 55 $79.99 at Solid Signal or HBU44 at $52.99. I know the HBU44 will work at 67 mi here with LOS my neighbor has one. The question is what is between you and the broadcasters.

The more I research this I just have to say good luck, the signals at 31 miles are just so weak -87 to -109 it is like trying for a 100 mile station over flat land, not impossible but you may have to work for reception. The big question is how high are the broadcast towers and how high are the mountains between you and the towers are there any valleys for the signal to pass through?

Last edited:
If you want to go for it I suggest Antenna Craft HBU 55 $79.99 at Solid Signal or HBU44 at $52.99. I know the HBU44 will work at 67 mi here with LOS my neighbor has one. The question is what is between you and the broadcasters.

The more I research this I just have to say good luck, the signals at 31 miles are just so weak -87 to -109 it is like trying for a 100 mile station over flat land, not impossible but you may have to work for reception. The big question is how high are the broadcast towers and how high are the mountains between you and the towers are there any valleys for the signal to pass through?

I know, Its just wierd I managed to grab WAPA 4.1 with the antenna placed in an odd position in my balcony. I am going to build a bow tie antenna tomorrow since I have most of the parts laying around. I plan to mount it in the edge of my balcony facing the transmitters.
http://lifehacker.com/5138746/build-your-own-dtv-antenna

Hopefully with this I can lock WAPA and maybe just maybe get more channels when I scan my samsung LCD tv.

If it fails I'll be ordering the HBU44, its $40 bucks on amazon.

Its just wierd that only WAPA is coming through and not a sign of WKAQ 2.1 , I know WKAQ has less TX power than WAPA and they are both located in the same area. WL11 is nowhere to be found yet.

I know, Its just wierd I managed to grab WAPA 4.1 with the antenna placed in an odd position in my balcony. I am going to build a bow tie antenna tomorrow since I have most of the parts laying around. I plan to mount it in the edge of my balcony facing the transmitters.
http://lifehacker.com/5138746/build-your-own-dtv-antenna

Hopefully with this I can lock WAPA and maybe just maybe get more channels when I scan my samsung LCD tv.

If it fails I'll be ordering the HBU44, its $40 bucks on amazon.

Its just wierd that only WAPA is coming through and not a sign of WKAQ 2.1 , I know WKAQ has less TX power than WAPA and they are both located in the same area. WL11 is nowhere to be found yet.
The bow tie is a UHF only antenna so there is no chance of WLII 11.1 coming in on it. Channel 13.1 according to TVfool has a power of -29.7
channel 2.1 has a power of -107.7 channel 4.1 is -95.3 and 11.1 is -81.1 all three are A LOT WEAKER than your local channels, as said earlier good luck. As said on one of my original posts I'm not sure the HBU55 even has enough capture power to get those three channels.

Your problem is all three stations you want are behind a 400m mountain.

11.1 is a slightly stronger signal because it is VHF anf the signal in VHF frequqncies can diffract better over an edge that a UHF signal can.

Even at 500 ft altitude, the signals for 2.1 and 4.1 are very weak, if you got a bit of signal on 4.1 it might be a quirk or you might try an excellent UHF antenna like the Winegard HD-8800 and see what you can get. For channel 11 I'd recommend the Antennacraft Y71013. Each of these antennas cost about $40 to $45, combine them with a UVSJ.

You have a PBS station less than 4 miles from you that might be a problem trying to use a pre-amp, but you might try something like the Winegard HDP-269, it is good at handling overload potential situations.

How are you doing symbol? Did you get that UHF antenna built, what were the results?

I built it, will post a pic once I get home tonight. Won't be able to test until I return this weekend.

At my home it picked up 44 dtv stations while sitting behind the tv. Of course my home is in the metro area and reception is better by default.

image-1960752761.jpg

image-3235266771.jpg

Heres the antenna!

Its juat coat hangers connected to a UHF VHF Matching Transformer from radio shack ($5). This antenna is only UHF. When I get to the apartment and test it I'll post back with the results.

How are you doing symbol? Did you get that UHF antenna built, what were the results?

Hey, I just got this antenna at costco for $50 to test and managed to get WKAQ 2.1 and WAPA 4.1 when mounted to my balcony. The problem is this is an indoor antenna so I can't leave it there all the time.

Its a winegard flatwave amplified antenna.

Should I go on with the HBU? I am thinking of returning the winegard since thats the only place it wants to work.

image-2722546138.jpg

image-1114761141.jpg

Find you a small outdoor antenna and set it up on your balcony. That Winegard is not much more than a wire loop antenna, anything with 8 or 10 elements will blow it away at the same position. Since that wire loop amplified was getting signal a traditional antenna should work fine, maybe with a pre-amp if necessary.

From the picture , it looks like you are on the SSE facing side of the building, while the stations you desire are to the SW, that makes the apartment building an obstacle to reception, but by taping the Winegard to the wall of the balcony you may have caught just enough of the signal parallel to the wall.

Further research shoes that 2.1 and 4.1 are located on a line parallel with the south wall of the apartment building, but I am still surprised that you were able to get 2.1 since it is not the strongest signal that it could be (50.9Kw ERP), whereas 4.1 is at 1000KW ERP, perhaps 2.1 has upgraded their transmitter or antenna and it does not yet reflect in the FCC database.

Can you mount a yagi style antenna on an "L" shaped pole protruding out from your balcony to give you better LOS to the transmitters?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)