Need som expert advice. Thank you

rjposey

Original poster
May 10, 2006
I am moving into a new house, and have the opportunity to sign up brand new for either Dish or Direct TV (cable not available yet in this new area).

1. I have 2 HDTVS, can DISH support both of them including DVR for both? The website appeared to not let me order 2 HD DVR recievers?
I want to have DVR and HD in 2 rooms. If no, what are my options?

2. I live in the Portland, Or market. Can anyone let me know for sure if Dish offers the locals in HD over the Dish? I want to be able to use the HD DVR for local channels.
I do not want an off the air antenna for any reason.

3. I heard some things about new HD technology coming out but may not be compatible with current receivers... anyway... if I order DISH today, will I be able to upgrade to the latest HD technology when it comes out. Basically will they swap out my receiver for free (the one I'm currently thinking about paying $499 for times two rooms if possilbe)

Thats it, anyone can help me with these questions I would really be grateful.
I would consider Direct TV, but my impression is DISH is slightly ahead of them technology, and a little bit lower price per month.

Ryan

Last edited:
Call Dish and ask for two HD PVRs, they should be able to do something. Worst case is having to buy the second PVR. The price drops to $499 on Saturday. The 622 PVR is an awesome box and Portland just got the HD locals.

Last edited:
The latest technology is MPEG-4 and the 622 can receive that. Your HD locals off the satellite will need that capability, as will some of the current and all future HD programming. I see that there are 4 Portland HD locals from E10 at 110 deg. You'll need to subscribe to the HD Bronze w/locals package as a minimum ($55/mo. plus receiver fees). The purchased 622 @ $499 is available now from DishStore and other E* retailers. (The price in their ad at the top of the linked DishStore page is wrong. Spool down a bit to see the $499 price.)

Welcome, BTW !! Let us know how you make out...!

Last edited:
The Dish HD locals for Portland and 10 other cities were turned on yesterday. At the present time they look great on channels that transmit 720p (usually ABC and FOX), but the channels that transmit 1080i (usually CBS and NBC) are sharp but have some motion problems. When there is movement in the picture it appears jerky, like there are frames missing. I hope this is just a temporary problem while Dish works the bugs out of their MPEG-4 encoding. If I were you, I would reconsider an OTA antenna. The best quality HD available is usually OTA, and with the Dish 622 HD DVR having an OTA antenna allows you to record three programs at the same time.

The 622 DVR is a great receiver with three tuners (2 sat. and 1 OTA) which can all record at the same time. It has two independent outputs (1 HD and 1 SD) which allow you to view two previously recorded programs while you are recording three new programs. It also has a duel channel modulator that allows you to distribute both the TV 1 and the TV 2 outputs to additional TVs in your house. The 622 and all current Dish HD receivers are MPEG-4, so they will receive all current and future Dish Channels. The HD DVR that DirecTV is currently selling is only MPEG-2, so it would have to be replaced when HD local channels become available in your area.

If you cannot get two 622s included in a new customer deal, you could have one 622 and one 211 installed (this way cabling would be installed). Later you could purchase a second 622 ($499 at DishStore.net, etc.) and sent the 211 back or use it in a different room. The $499 purchase price (you own it) for the 622 is only $100 more than the up front cost that DirectTV wants from new customers to lease their MPEG-2 HD DVR ($499-$100 rebate).