Need some advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I was at a local scrapyard today looking for something when I noticed this out of the corner of my eye. It is a 4 foot Andrew that was used for some sort of microwave hop. I can purchase this fairly cheap and was wondering if I should grab it. My thoughts are converting it to a prime focus dish or possibly reselling it down the road. I appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• Andrew.jpeg
    Andrew.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 197
You're in Canada?, what's that green stuff under the dish?! Gimme some! LOL Still white here in N.Ont.

I would try Ku with it too. Make note of the focal point for the new lnb.

Hey, I wonder if Ku would make it through that feed-horn, and have your lnb mounted on the back of the dish??

Anyone else think it's worth a try?

Good luck, I still want some of that green stuff!

You're in Canada?, what's that green stuff under the dish?! Gimme some! LOL Still white here in N.Ont.

I would try Ku with it too. Make note of the focal point for the new lnb.

Hey, I wonder if Ku would make it through that feed-horn, and have your lnb mounted on the back of the dish??

Anyone else think it's worth a try?

Good luck, I still want some of that green stuff!

The picture with the green grass was a picture that the scrapyard had on file. Here are the ones taken today. I was thinking of hooking an Ku Lnb to the waveguide at the back but you would be limited to one polarity.

I am also very sick of winter and can't wait for spring!

Attachments

• Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 193
I can't remember the math, but the waveguide may not work that well around 12ghz. Measure and find the formulas. If I remember right, the number to find is "upper & lower cutoff freq" or something like that. Snow accumulating in it, probably not on 30W. But then again, you don't need anything near that size for 30W.
Found this, hxxp://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/waveguide-chart.htm to figure out the waveguide.

Status
Please reply by conversation.