Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hi guys,
My Dads neighbor just switched to D*, has a new Toshiba plasma (not sure on the model #)
He got the standard rec. from D*, for some reason, probably money, anyways.
Toshiba has a built in HD tuner.
D* placed 2 dishes, one sat and one local., the 2 dishes go into a box, probably a multiswich (bear in mind, I haven't seen all this yet).

He probably has a rec. in bedroomas well as the family room (toshiba).

Seeing he is paying for the locals, w/o a HD rec. , How can I get the local dish signal into the TV's HD tuner.
Seeing there is a multiswich involved, can I run a coax from the m/s to the back of the TV, and get local in HD ? probably not that easy.
I have a diplexer available, but that shows for use with an OTA antenna, not from another dish.

With out yelling about him not getting a H-10, What options do I have to get him locals in HD.
once he sees his TV with true HD, I think he may be wanting to get the HD package, but I would like to show him first, before hand.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Jimbo

He will need an antenna to get local HD channels. What is available depends on where you are located. You cant plug a D* line into a TVs HD Tuner. DO NOT PLUG A CABLE FROM THE DISH OR MULTISWITCH INTO THE TUNER. Sorry about the caps but that is important.

Spin said:
He will need an antenna to get local HD channels. What is available depends on where you are located. You cant plug a D* line into a TVs HD Tuner. DO NOT PLUG A CABLE FROM THE DISH OR MULTISWITCH INTO THE TUNER. Sorry about the caps but that is important.

Thanks for the input, I will look to other alternatives.

Jimbo

Since I am in NY and we use one dish for all channels, I'm not sure exactly how your system works, but I will offer my knowledge and I'm sure I will be corrected soon by the pros.

First, your reception from Directv over the dish is from their satellite, it doesn't matter which dish it comes in on. So, those signals will need to be decoded by their receiver. If you are receiving HD channels (I do in NY) then the receiver has to be HD to decode those channels. The tuner that you have in the TV is capable of tuning in a HD signal from a terrestrial signal. In order to receive this signal you will need an OTA antenna. I believe Directv installs these but I didn't get one since I get my locals in HD.

Second, the question would be is your second dish(?) Is it a dish that receives satellite or is it an antenna that receives terrestrial? You state that one is local so that could mean that it is an antenna feed.

Third, I don't think you need to show him first. In my opinion, no one buys an HD set to get SD broadcast. He will want the HD, so however you get him that you should get him that. Personally, the HD locals are the most important and he will probably want the small offering that Directv gives also.

Just my opinions.

good luck

timmac said:
Second, the question would be is your second dish(?) Is it a dish that receives satellite or is it an antenna that receives terrestrial? You state that one is local so that could mean that it is an antenna feed.

The second dish pulls in locals from the 72.5 location. Newer markets on D* are on 72.5 because of lack of transponder space on 101, 119, and 110.

Starting Nov. 25th a new or existing customer can get a $200 rebate on a HD receiver. H10 for $199-$200rebate is free and 3 months of HD programming on activation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)