Need some advise please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Getg

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
This is my first post, however, I have read this forum for a long time.
I'm a really fan of the big dish. I have one installed since 1993 and worked like a charm until hurricane Wilma put it down. Only two o three times an small adjustment, two years ago a new actuator and that's it.
Now I have installed an almost new 10' mesh, using it's own mounting. My old one does not fit the mesh holes. Even when I live in a city (Miami) I'm decided to be a C band subscriber while there is a programming reseller for it, and I hope it will be for a long time. Actually I spend about 250-300 per year, versus the probably 900 will cost with the pizza, so, please support the c-band, get some subscription, it will helps everyone.

I also decided that this is time to move up to the 4DTV, and wow!, never imaginated how good is it. I have learned a lot mounting the dish, giving it the angles and setup, HOWEVER, after two weeks, I still have a problem:
I can get all birds, but I can't get quality signal in G1. I have setup my inclination from 23 to 26, I have setup my decliantion from 3 to 6, trying to see which is the best reading since my latitude is 25.5, but I'm still stuck with the G1.
I read somewhere that declination when reading from the back of the mount will be the declination angle required plus the inclination, for example: inclination 25, if the total readed on the inclinometer for declination is 30, I have a declination of 5, am I right?
I have made up to three turns to both adjustments looking for the right, even I have lost quality on extreme satellites, but the G1 is still out. I'm now getting the G1-19, but with a lot of sparkles. I also get some sparkles in other middle birds.

Before going futher, I would like anyone can give some ideas.

BTW, I'm not sure, but focal distance is extremely important?, a 10 years LNB could be going down?, What is the best order in setting angles; inclination, declination and north-south, or viceverse?

I appreciate any recommendation or advise.

Bill

Yes it is

Getg said:
This is my first post, however, I have read this forum for a long time.
I'm a really fan of the big dish. I have one installed since 1993 and worked like a charm until hurricane Wilma put it down. Only two o three times an small adjustment, two years ago a new actuator and that's it.
Now I have installed an almost new 10' mesh, using it's own mounting. My old one does not fit the mesh holes. Even when I live in a city (Miami) I'm decided to be a C band subscriber while there is a programming reseller for it, and I hope it will be for a long time. Actually I spend about 250-300 per year, versus the probably 900 will cost with the pizza, so, please support the c-band, get some subscription, it will helps everyone.
I also decided that this is time to move up to the 4DTV, and wow!, never imaginated how good is it. I have learned a lot mounting the dish, giving it the angles and setup, HOWEVER, after two weeks, I still have a problem:
I can get all birds, but I can't get quality signal in G1. I have setup my inclination from 23 to 26, I have setup my decliantion from 3 to 6, trying to see which is the best reading since my latitude is 25.5, but I'm still stuck with the G1.
I read somewhere that declination when reading from the back of the mount will be the declination angle required plus the inclination, for example: inclination 25, if the total readed on the inclinometer for declination is 30, I have a declination of 5, am I right?
I have made up to three turns to both adjustments looking for the right, even I have lost quality on extreme satellites, but the G1 is still out. I'm now getting the G1-19, but with a lot of sparkles. I also get some sparkles in other middle birds.
Before going futher, I would like anyone can give some ideas.
BTW, I'm not sure, but focal distance is extremely important?, a 10 years LNB could be going down?, What is the best order in setting angles; inclination, declination and north-south, or viceverse?
I appreciate any recommendation or advise.
Bill

Yes, focal distance is important...but it sounds like your setup is adjusted incorrectly. It tracks the ends of the belt, at the sake of the middle.

I always recommend only adjusting 1 item at a time where possible....If you go too far or it gets worse...you know where you started!

The faq has an article...installation link

Won't be long...almost there!

Jeff

Last edited:
also

ken2400 said:
http://www.callnps.com/chart.htm
So what sats can you get? At 10' I would think an old LNB would work but would like to know what you have and it's temp rating.

G1 can be a tricky bird since it is getting old and the HBO stuff is really crowded in there. I had to use a meter to really fine tune declination etc with one of those inexpensive meters to really get it right on! Focal distance should also be tuned the same way. Even what they tell you is only "close" you move the distance from there! it is a slow process and once you have it, I suggest you mark it with a marker!!!

I am in Reno, NV with an 8 ft dish and an OLD Norstat 17d C lnb (model is 8000) After finetuning and removing the accumulation of wasp nests in the feedhorn cover, my quality on the HBO channels went from 0 to about 56! My declination setting had moved thru the years. However, I was close enough to get STARZ channels with 60+ and now 70+ on the quality meter of the 4dtv (922)! We are talking a VERY small adjustment as well!

Those little SF-95 meters come in very handy for fine tuning! (I was given a Birdog meter (way overkill) for Xmas and now I am DEAD ON!> As my signatiure says, I am still using the BUD for FTA (KU) until it gets warmer so I can put up another dedicated dish. With KU you must be even closer in your adjustments!

Congrats on the new dish....adjust away! <see some of the links in the Faq for great info!>
Jeff

Last edited:
I'm getting some progress!!!

Thank you for all those messages.

Jeff, yes, there were some issue about setup. The declination angle was incorrect.

Ken2004, I only have problem with the G1 (digital HBO and Cinemax).

Jeff, thank you again. I'm sure I'm getting close. I played around last weekend and found also focal distance is actually in .38, I calculated and it should be in .32, but changing it is almost impossible due to the hex screw on the horn (it is almost welded). I also noted the feedhorn itself has a little misalignment to the center of the dish, so I got everything to work with, including another feedhorn to move the focal distance, and hopefully, if no rain this weekend, I'm going to my roof.

I was talking with NPS's guys and they told me as a rule of tumb, when the G1-17 is tuned, I can get digital signal in Max and HBO.

As a long weekend due to the holiday, I guess my time is a little compromise.

I will post the progress later.
Thanks
Bill

Interesting about G17

Getg said:
Thank you for all those messages.
Jeff, yes, there were some issue about setup. The declination angle was incorrect.
Ken2004, I only have problem with the G1 (digital HBO and Cinemax).
Jeff, thank you again. I'm sure I'm getting close. I played around last weekend and found also focal distance is actually in .38, I calculated and it should be in .32, but changing it is almost impossible due to the hex screw on the horn (it is almost welded). I also noted the feedhorn itself has a little misalignment to the center of the dish, so I got everything to work with, including another feedhorn to move the focal distance, and hopefully, if no rain this weekend, I'm going to my roof.
I was talking with NPS's guys and they told me as a rule of tumb, when the G1-17 is tuned, I can get digital signal in Max and HBO.
As a long weekend due to the holiday, I guess my time is a little compromise.
I will post the progress later.
Thanks
Bill
Hi Bill:
Sounds like you are all but there!! Excellent.

It does sound as though you are soundly HOOKED on the BUD though! hell, you talk the talk...must be walking the walk too!

I remember telling a pizza delivery guy once" when C band goes, I will go back to rabbit ears" before I have a taste of that outrageously priced pie!
Your work will pay off and it sounds like you are right there. I am sure with a little study, you will be able to figure out some sort of retaining clamp to replace the unworkable one that is there (for the feedhorn focal length)
This will really come into play with KU band and especially with FTA if you try that route too! I figueed for a couple of hundred $$ I could have a cheap intro!!!! I like it!

As I said, Max and HBO channels on G1 are a real bear....some get them with 8 footers and some not even with 10 footers! My own experience was ZERO on the 4dtv quality meter.. I dropped them and picked up Starz.
HOWEVER when I suddenly decided to stop taking the BUD for granted and did a tuneup (last month), PQ jumped to 56 on each of those CROWDED TRANSPONDERS ON HBO AND MAX! (someone here said they cram alot of data into the bandwidth)
I have been using the BUD to get FTA stuff of late (the real beauty of a bud is versitility as well as PQ! I can thank that FTA adventure for motivating me enough to tune up the BUD and start moving it again! (been parked on G1 a long time but no more!!!)..Then came a new 922, then an HDD200...and the saga continues!
I mentioned before some of my neighbors were a little confused the first time they saw it sweeping the sky....hehehh...It Lives! (I do not think they had ever noticed it move in the 6 yrs they are in their home!)

But I have a new "little" 31" motorized setup ready to install.....probably will get at it this spring unless we get a nice week for me to thaw out! Just getting lazy using the BUD even with having to change polarity via the 4dtv! Forgot how much I hate the roof...Thought I had a spot on the House but the house would limit dish travel! It would be great to put up another small pole ...but it would be dodgeball with the Riding Lawnmower, and I know who would lose!

(the BUD has the only "view" of the belt in my 1/3 acre yard! unless I put the new Dish on the roof!)

Last edited:
I got it!!!

Like I said, I go to my roof this weekend and found the feedhorn was not pointing directly to the center of the dish, and also the focal distance was setted improperly. I focused on these issues because my inclination and declination was setted according to my latitude, so I assumed it as good.
I pay special attention to the distance from the center of the dish to the scalar ring, make sure it is the same from all around. Also, I setup the focal distance to .34 which is the number I got from calculations. I hook up coaxial cables, servo motor cables and got down to check on tv. When I got to G1-124 I was surprised, quality reading was 50. I moved to the top bird (W3) and found some sparkling on the image. I increased inclination about 1/4 turn, and bingo, quality go to 88. I moved back to G1 and still in 50. After doing some fine tuning on G1, quality go to 64. I'm not sure if this is enough, but I see now all belt, including some Ku birds.
Jeff, thank you for your posting. When I got the feedhorn, I drilled and decided to make a new thread, instead of one, I made two, one oposite to the other one, just in case. Sure, I'm hooked on the BUD. I like it, not only because of savings, but also because of the freedom I have in programming. Hope will be there for a long time.
I have similar histories with my neighbors, some of them ask me, Do you still have that? - Does it works?. I remember a handyman comes to replace a glass saying, hey!, look what we have here, I haven't see one in ten years. I told him, well, I like antiques!
I see the HDD200 on the way in, probably in couple of months. Because my TV is HD, don't need to invest but only on this, so it is a good addon. For now, I'm enjoying these 11 Max. Let's see what's next.
Thank you for your recomendations, it was helpful.
Regards
Bill

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)