Need some antenna HELP!

Billpear

Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
The O.C 92646
To start with I live in "The O.C." in the 92646. Antennaweb.com says I am 37-38 miles in a nice straight line to the local transmitters.
I installed my "Winegard SS2000" today, pointed it at 339 degrees, plugged it all in turned on the TV searched for channels and acquired almost all that were listed.

Can someone explain why I can't get KCBS 2, KABC 7, KTTV 11, and KCOP 13 digitally?
I get there analog broadcasts.

Thanks any help would be much appreciated!

My first guess was that the stations were on VHF and you had a UHF antenna or vis-versa, but that's not the case. The towers all appear to be in the same location from you too.

Do you have the amplified version of that antenna ?? At that distance, you might.

Can you, even temporarily, position the antenna as high up as possible and try a re-scan ??

Many people in your area have difficulty getting the digital broadcasts due to terrain. Are there any significant mountains or other obstructions between you and the transmitter location? If so you will need a better antenna mounted higher in the air.

Billpear said:
No, North Orange County is very flat! On a clear day you can easily see the transmitters on Mt Wilson!

Geeze if you can see the transmitters and can't receive any of the digital signals there is something fundamentally wrong with your setup. What type of DTV or digital receiver are you using?

Do you get any digital channels at all?

Actually, as you can see from my original post, there are only four of the twenty-two digital channels I am not receiving. That is my question, why only four?

I am using the built-in receiver of my Samsung HP-R4252.

No great ideas here.

I checked and those stations are broadcasting at or near full power (KABC is temporarily a little low at 182 KW) and broadcasting on the upper UHF band and in your direction. You should be able to receive them with no problem considering they are in sight. Do you have any nearby neighbors with a successful DT setup?

The only other thing you could try is larger, higher gain antenna if you continue having no success.

You can also try calling the local affiliate engineer; they are usually more than willing to help a user get their signal OTA. Call while HD programming is scheduled on-air.

Billpear, what atsc receiver do you have?. that zip code you listed is all uhf rf channels. in my opinion, those panel antennas are terrible for broadcast tv dxing (analog or digital). me, i would use at least a 14db yagi or even a grid array before a panel antenna.

Last edited:
Well, upon further investigation, crappy diplexers were at the root of most of my troubles. Changed out some cheapos for some TERK diplexers and am getting all of my digital channels with excellent signal, except for FOX KTTV.

Surprisingly, i don't have any digital reception for KTTV, but I can get the analog broadcast which is on VHF which the SS2000 is not tuned for.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated!

If you at all possibly can - GET RID OF THE DIPLEXERS.

A straight shot of RG-6 from antenna to tuner will gain you 3-6dB signal strength.

Billpear said:
To start with I live in "The O.C." in the 92646. Antennaweb.com says I am 37-38 miles in a nice straight line to the local transmitters.
I installed my "Winegard SS2000" today, pointed it at 339 degrees, plugged it all in turned on the TV searched for channels and acquired almost all that were listed.

Can someone explain why I can't get KCBS 2, KABC 7, KTTV 11, and KCOP 13 digitally?

Thanks any help would be much appreciated!

The 4 listed stations are the highest UHF channels in LA. Perhaps you are losing too much signal somewhere. Are you splitting the signal to a second TV set? If so, try removing it. Is the power supply for the preamp connected and powered properly? Have you tried reaiming the antenna while you measure the signal on one of the higher channels that you can get? Is there a tree in the way? How about blockage from another house?

I have no problem receiving all of L.A.s transmissions and I'm temecula >70 miles away. (No I can't see the transmission towers).

(but I am using a winegard HD-9095)

I would do what others have said, run a line direct from the antenna to the receiver.

Where do you have it mounted, have you tried moving it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)