Need some basic info on Upgrading to PVR/DVR from 301's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

VooDooAddict

Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I could use some basic info or links to FAQs on how to go about upgrading to PVR/DVR from the 301's.

Here's the situaltion. We've got three 301's and one 501. (All Legit. At least 3 years old.) No one ever watches Satalite on anything other then the 501 becase we are all too hooked on being able to rewind and pause live Broadcasts.

What do I do to upgrade the 301's to something like a 501/508, 510, or even 522?

Here's what I was planning to do ... please tell me if it's the wrong idea:

Buy used 501/508's off Ebay to replace the 301's ... use the cards from the existing 301's in the 501/508's? Then everyone can start watching from thier own rooms again and we won't be fighting over the PVR?

Thanks much.

Log into the dishnetwork website and look under the upgrades tab to see what you can upgrade to. In february the 522 will be available and the 510 should be as well. Then you don't have to sell any boxes and can just lease.

VooDooAddict said:
I could use some basic info or links to FAQs on how to go about upgrading to PVR/DVR from the 301's.

Here's the situaltion. We've got three 301's and one 501. (All Legit. At least 3 years old.) No one ever watches Satalite on anything other then the 501 becase we are all too hooked on being able to rewind and pause live Broadcasts.

What do I do to upgrade the 301's to something like a 501/508, 510, or even 522?

Here's what I was planning to do ... please tell me if it's the wrong idea:

Buy used 501/508's off Ebay to replace the 301's ... use the cards from the existing 301's in the 501/508's? Then everyone can start watching from thier own rooms again and we won't be fighting over the PVR?

Thanks much.

I would look into the 522 deal happing on Feb 1. Might be a sweeter deal for you.

BobaBird said:
Any receiver you buy will come with a smart card. If it doesn't, don't look back as you run from that seller. The cards you already have were "married" to their receivers upon activation. More info on buying used: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/235
Several models of E* receiver do NOT have an external smartcard. Unknowledgable people (buying or selling) might think that said box's empty slot means no "card".

Simply get the R00* and S00* numbers from the SysInfo screen. If there's no S00* number, THAT means there's no "card".

I'm afraid the information you are giving me isn't really clearing things up for me.

If I buy a new unopened 501/508 on ebay. Can I use it in place of an existing 301?

I'm to understand correctly .... I'd just have to call DishNetwork and get them to activate the new hardware in place of a 301. There are no additional monthly fees with the 501/508 correct? I'd incurr something called a "DVR fee" if I were to get a 522 or a 510?

I'm trying very hard to read everything I can before bothing people on these boards... but I have to find a good newbie resourse online.

Yes. Unplug the 301, connect the 501/8 the same way.

Yes. Correct. Yes, unless you subscribe to America's Everything Pak.

Keep reading, things will start to sink in as appears is already happening. Both this board and DBSTalk are full of helpful people and good information. A lot can be found on the EKB which also has links to other resources. There is also the multi-part FAQ I compiled for alt.dbs.echostar which can be found here at http://www.satelliteguys.us/forumdisplay.php?f=35.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)