Need Some Expert Advice

kokomogator

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Ok, I'm almost ready to take the plunge. With the new promo's for HD and the fact that I can keep my 921 and upgrade for basically $99, I figured that I would ask for some of your expert opinions.

Being a 921 owner that paid a pile of money for a lot of buggy issues, I'm more than a little concerned about the 622 issues; audio problems, pixelation, HDMI problems, lock up, etc. Should I wait for the 612 in hopes that MPEG 4 and software issues will have been resolved by then? Seems like the 942 was a huge improvement over the 921. I don't have HD locals available yet in my area and honestly there isn't much that has been added in MPEG4 that is that compelling. I do on the other hand like a lot of the new features that are available on the 622 that are not available on the 921.

Also, since I have never leased before; if a new and improved receiver comes out, can I exchange for the one? On leased receivers, if something breaks, are they replaced or serviced for free?

Opinions?:confused:

I'm no expert, but I do own a 622 and I had initial problems with the HDMI (read my blog for the blow-by-blow account!) After a slight delay/minimal hassle E* replaced the unit and the new one so far is working well (KOW!) There are some bugs, well, perhaps, many - it depends on who you ask, YMMV. Software updates may eventually fix some or most of those. I can't say if this unit is worse than others but those that had the 921/942 generally seem glad they made the upgrade due to the new features of the 622. No question if you want to get the newest and upcoming HD channels you will need an MPEG-4 capable receiver.

If/when "new and improved" ones come out I think you'll see deals similar to the current ones for upgrades. It won't be free but will provide some help for those who made earlier investments. All receivers, owned or leased, have the standard 1-year warranty, after that you'll have to pay something for a replacement. There are workarounds for that too, like DHPP (you can buy it for as long as you need it, get it?).

If you do get a 622, find a way to cool it down, It runs quite hot and a number of us are attributing a lot of the annoying glitches to that.

Keep us posted...

There are workarounds for that too, like DHPP(?)(you can buy it for as long as you need it, get it Sorry, I'm pretty blond to the roots, can you explain?

If you do get a 622, find a way to cool it down, It runs quite hot and a number of us are attributing a lot of the annoying glitches to that. This could be a concern considering I use a cabinet for all my equipment. Do you think keeping the glass doors open would be sufficient?

In general, with a new encoding scheme the decoders are typically much more mature than the encoders, so the improvements would mostly occur on the uplink (Dish Network) side rather than in your receiver. I can't state for sure that's how it will be with Dish and H.264, but in general, that's how things turn out, and why the decoders can ship well before the encoders are fully sorted out. Look how long ago iPods and Sony PSPs were able to ship with H.264 decoding in silicon.

I'm curious about more info on the DHPP too. I am leasing my 622 and am not sure what the DHPP does for me.

Dish Home Protection Plan (DHPP) costs a sub $5.99 per month and provides some reasonably low-cost insurance against future service or equipment replacement needs. In the case of a service call past the 90-day installation warranty, the usual $99 is reduced to $29. DHPP also extends the receiver and other installed equipment warranties indefinitely, etc. Here's a link to the details:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/customercare/warranty/index.shtml

I don't know what replacement costs are with an out-of-warranty leased unit. You would probably have at least the S&H ($25?) With an out-of warranty owned unit, you're SOL.

While I don't generally buy into extended warranties (I question the cost-effectiveness), due in part to the issues with the 622 I am currently carrying the plan. Others say that if you don't have it and need it you can call and add it then turn in your "claim". I don't condone that approach (violates clause 2), but that's what I meant by "you can buy it for as long as you need it..."

Regarding the heat issue, others with equipment cabinets are definitely having heat-related problems. And that could not only damage the 622 but also overheat your other components! (YMMV) Please read the heat issue threads for some ideas as to what others have done to mitigate the problem: taking doors off, adding vents and fans, rearranging equipment, etc. I consider this a characteristic of the 622 that needs to at least be understood. It's not necessarily a limitation if you're prepared to accommodate it...

Last edited:
I have had DVRs since the DISHplayer back in 1999, I think. So many I have lost count. Even had the UTV from MS. Everyone them has runs hot. I also have cooked & fried my share having them in remote closets and entertainment centers. Why, because the hard drive spins @ 7,400 rpm 24/7. I have installed competent double fan units in entertainment centers, and trick $200 cool boxes under them. Yes they do help but, really they need to be out in the open, not over or under another heat source like a A/V receiver or even just a regular satellite receiver and not behind closed glass doors! I spent alot of money and time trying to correct this heat issue over the years. It is one of the best reasons to buy a service contract or extended warranty (except for hard drive failures that may also fail due to heat buildup) since if you are not going to address it, it will fail and you will need a replacement. Really if you want a dependable DVR it must be left out in the open. Sorry but live and learn. I presently have three all in the same room and they don't look that bad, but all other comportment are located inside the entertainment center with glass doors, and fans/boxes and open backs. No heat issues here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)