need some help, directv picture is stretched and HUGE on my tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

detroit_fan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
SE Michigan
turned on my hr34 today and something is wrong. the picture is stretched really wide, including the guide, list and bottom bars. when i press list or guide the first couple letters of the program name are cut off and the font is huge. i have cycled through the formats and nothing changes when i press the buttons, it's almost like its stuck in stretch format and won't change to regular.

ETA- i did do a rbr, and made sure tv is ok. made sure blu ray play fine too.

i normally keep only the 1080i resolution box checked and native turned off, so i just went through and also checked the 720p and 480p boxes and turned native on. now when i go to a 720 or 480 channel the "stretch" goes away, but when i select a 1080i channel is comes back. when i am on a 480 channel and press guide the guide comes up but it is not very sharp, almost like a SD guide. when i select a 720p channel then press guide teh guide looks better than it did on the 480 channel. no other dvr in the house are having this issue. i do have a 1 & 3 year old and one of them did get thier hands on the remote today, but i have no idea what they did(if anything)

EDIT- ok, so if i go to a 1080 channel (like cbs or axs.tv) and i try to watch it in 1080i i have the stretch problem and the font and on screen stuff is huge. if i select 720p for that same channel it goes to normal, so my issue only exists with 1080 outputting from the HR34. there is no avr between the 34 and the tv.

any ideas?

Last edited:
ok, i feel like a complete moron. now my wife tells me that when the 3 year old got the directv remote this morning she slid the selector switch at the top of the remote to "TV". my tv was set to 16x9, but she had some how zoomed into the picture. i was able to find a picture size option in the tv menu and that fixed it. i still don't know why it was just on 1080, but at least it's working.

Great! What I find amazing is that when someone has a problem the focus is on the DVR and the other piece is forgotten. The TV in this case.

Great! What I find amazing is that when someone has a problem the focus is on the DVR and the other piece is forgotten. The TV in this case.

not entirely true. i did go to the tv settings to make sure 16x9 and all resolutions were turned on, what got me is that i never knew there was a "picture size" option in the menu, it was hidden in an "advanced settings" menu. what really had me confused is that it only did it on 1080 channels, it seemed to me that a tv issue woudl have affected at least all HD resolutions, and probably all resolutions. to make matters worse, i asked the wife 10 times "did they get the tv remote today",and she kept saying no, which was true, but they slid the direct remote to the tv control, and somehow activeated the picture size that way. i still have no idea how they did it.

My statement was a generic one.
I hear you about the TV settings. You can have it set for the resolution, but the formatting settings can be overlooked.
And to make things worse, different TV manufacturers implement these differently.

The DirecTV remote does have a "format" button so it's possible that got pressed by the rug rat.

If your child messed with it on a 1080i channel, it will only affect (effect?) those channels in 1080i. If the channel had been a 720 channel, it would have done it on those channels, etc. I have had the same experience with children messing with intricate menus, too. And my parents.

If your child messed with it on a 1080i channel, it will only affect (effect?) those channels in 1080i. If the channel had been a 720 channel, it would have done it on those channels, etc. I have had the same experience with children messing with intricate menus, too. And my parents.

that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)