Need some help with audio sync issue.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fold_em83

Original poster
Apr 20, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a Sharp LC-50LB150U TV, an LG BH6830 theater system, a DirecTV Genie, a PS3 and a Wii. I realize that this isn't top of the line stuff but it is good enough for me. The problem I'm having is since I added the TV a few days ago I'm having an issue where the audio syncs behind the picture. Right now I have everything hooked to the TV with HDMI and then I'm using a digital optical audio cable to go back to the LG to give me sound. This way will give me sound through the LG regardless of whether I'm watching TV or playing the PS3 or Wii. Both the Sharp TV and the LG have settings within them to add a lag to the audio signal but since the audio is already lagging behind the picture this doesn't help me any. I have discovered that if I go into the Genie and the TV and turn off Dolby and go to PCM, the sync issue goes away although changing the setting on the Genie seems to make the biggest difference. Is this going to have to be my final solution or is there a better way?

Also, what is ARC and could it help to fix my problem? The TV has one port with ARC but I don't think any of my other equipment does. I experimented by moving connections around to different ports but it didn't seem to change anything. Please help if you can!

ARC is audio return channel. It is a feature on newer HDMI equipment, part of spec 1.3. I looked and the LG HTIB doesn't seem to support this. The problem with the dolby is that it takes time to process the signal in both the tV and the receiver which is causing the delay. There are solutions, but your receiver doesn't seem to support them. I would suggest settling on PCM for now and save up for a better receiver. The system works better if the receiver does the switching and the TV becomes simply a display device.

BB has a low end Denon unit on sale for $177 this weekend. Other deals abound right now.

The way I figure it is that both the TV and receiver are doing processing on the audio path. We are used to switching in the receiver and passing the video on to the TV. Since the TV gets the video first, it must do the optical conversion and possibly the dolby processing in the TV. Then when it reaches the receiver it must happen again. When you go to PCM, you eliminate that second step.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)