Need some help with DishTV sat. install

D

Donegan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 1, 2021
USA
Hi everyone,
Im new here and i hope this is the right place to post this, i have some questions and i hope you nice folks can help me get some answers!

This past week our roof was re-done, new shingles and decking in some places. Originally our sat. dish was bolted into the roof with lag bolts, back in 2014, and the roofers pulled up the dish and replaced the decking because water had gotten in and caused damage, i dont want the dish reinstalled this way, i understand there are non penetrating roof mounts that use cinder blocks for ballast and, another option is to mount to a pole, we have a lot of high trees on our southern end, will Dish TV install something like this, or do i have to hire a subcontractor to get something in place then call Dish? I just want to avoid damaging a brand new roof, any thoughts or input would be great, thanks!

M

mopardude01

SatelliteGuys Guru
Apr 16, 2014
missouri
How is the eastern view, there are sats there to @ 72 and 61.5, maybe do a pole mount in the yard. That's what I did, I personally wouldn't want it mounted on the roof, just asking for problems. Just a thought for what it's worth.

D

Donegan

Apr 1, 2021
USA
How is the eastern view, there are sats there to @ 72 and 61.5, maybe do a pole mount in the yard. That's what I did, I personally wouldn't want it mounted on the roof, just asking for problems. Just a thought for what it's worth.
We are pretty much covered up by tall trees all around, im guessing a pole would have to be pretty tall to get a good line of sight, i suppose we will have to call Dish and see what options they recommend, i just cant have holes in a new roof, i am hoping someone who is an installer can chime in or someone who has had this same problem can give me some insight, but thanks for your reply!

pattykay

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
We are pretty much covered up by tall trees all around, im guessing a pole would have to be pretty tall to get a good line of sight, i suppose we will have to call Dish and see what options they recommend, i just cant have holes in a new roof, i am hoping someone who is an installer can chime in or someone who has had this same problem can give me some insight, but thanks for your reply!
How about something like this:
There is an Amazon link in the first post in that thread. However, when you click on it, that particular item says Currently Unavailable. At least it gives you an idea of what to look for, though. This way, there would be no holes in the top of your roof.

HipKat

HipKat

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 25, 2017
Pekin, IL
First, does he even live in and Eastern Arc area and to the OP, there are other mounting options. You can't use a sled on a slanted roof, BTW, but there are corner mounts, Fascia mounts and a good tech will be able to take care of you, if possible

D

Donegan

Apr 1, 2021
USA
There is an Amazon link in the first post in that thread. However, when you click on it, that particular item says Currently Unavailable. At least it gives you an idea of what to look for, though. This way, there would be no holes in the top of your roof

There is an Amazon link in the first post in that thread. However, when you click on it, that particular item says Currently Unavailable. At least it gives you an idea of what to look for, though. This way, there would be no holes in the top of your roof.
Ok, thanks! I'll definitely check this out!

Reactions: pattykay
TheKrell

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
How is it that I have moved that mast foot 3 or 4 times, drilling 4 new holes each time, and never had 1 leak? Oh, that's right. I use a dab of roof sealant in the hole and screw in the lag screw right through it. Seals perfectly.

C

chainblu

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 25, 2006
How is it that I have moved that mast foot 3 or 4 times, drilling 4 new holes each time, and never had 1 leak?
Because not all installers are the same. Fortunately, the 'fly by nighters' don't last long.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
joegr

joegr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 8, 2010
Gulfport
First, does he even live in and Eastern Arc area and to the OP, there are other mounting options. You can't use a sled on a slanted roof, BTW, but there are corner mounts, Fascia mounts and a good tech will be able to take care of you, if possible
If you were referring to me, yes south Alabama is in the Eastern Arc.

Reactions: HipKat and pattykay
NYDutch

NYDutch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 28, 2013
Where our wheels go
You can check your line of sight to either arc with this free app from Winegard: