Need some help with lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cosmokramer11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Queens
So last week I had my satellite dish hooked up and everything was working. That dish was a 31in motorized sg 2100 with a qph-031 invacom quad lnb. I was tracking the arc everything was fine. I sold that dish and put up my Fortec 36in dish I was thinking since that was a bigger dish I would have a better gain on certain satellites. I hooked up that dish on the same location same motor same LNB. The fortec dish is hooked up but now my lnb signal level is reading at 7%-15%-24%. Before when I had the other dish hooked up it always read at 74%-81%. The lnb is running right to the dish no switch. I also used both L Ports on the lnb at first it would stay at 74% then when I move the dish via usals it will drop down to 5%. And yes lnb power is on in the settings and the lnb is set to 10750. the lnb did fall when I was setting up the fortec could it have broke? This is a strange problem.

I also forgot to add that my receiver is a coolsat 5000. I even resetted the coolsat thinking it may fix the signal level issue but it didn't.

I some how fixed it. I took the lnb from the roof and hooked it up to the coolsat with a short rg6 cable and it shot up to 93 signal. So then I went back to the roof hooked it up and now its back to 74-75%

I would guess a bad F connector.

use a good quality compression connector with a proper coax stripper. The stripper will cost no more then $10, sometimes you get them free if you buy enough connectors. Ideal makes a decent connector and tool, homedepot sells them. Thomas & Betts has been an industry standard for years, you can get them at any reputable electrical wholesaler.

crimp are ok, not great, I dont bother with them anymore since compression are so much better and comparable in price.

twist on are pure junk and should be outlawed lol

The problem is back again. I went home checked the coolsat and the signal level was fine at 74-75. Then I went to adjust the elevation on the fortec I come down stairs and its back down to the 4%. I didn't touch the lnb when I was on the roof nor was the receiver was on. Could moving the elevation cause the lnb signal to drop?

sounds like a bad F connector. could be bad coax, but Id check the connector first.

could be a cold solder joint as wel in either the lnb, motor, or receiver too. but I bet its a connector.

I would carefully check your connections and cable, I had a problem like yours just a few days ago, would get intermittent signal level from the QPH031 linear port. Found the cable between the DISEqC switch and LNB was bad. Could be where the cable bends (I also use an SG2100 on that dish) or a connector. Just replaced the whole cable and problem solved.

If your cable goes directly from the SG-2100 to the LNB there is bending and twisting that eventually can cause a bad connection. I would replace it (two connectors and a couple feet of RG-6) if there is any doubt. Remember to leave lots of slack where the cable bends.
Good luck!
-C.

The advice you are getting is very on track. My CS4K pro will do the same thing. If the coax/connector is bad 4% is all I get. Take a few minutes and replace or repair and life will become a lot more enjoyable.

I made the very same "newbie" mistake. Chased a low level for 2 weeks, thinking it was everything but the coax/connector. Wiggled the coax level shot up to a 91%!

Needless to say, now I always try to make sure I have good connections when I put up a new dish.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)