Need some help with Speaker setups

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
MA
So I just upgraded my mains to Cambridge SW T200 towers. I had the CSW MC300s across the front. Still using an MC300 for the center. Also have an older CSW PSW1 sub w/ S300s for rears. On the receiver, I had all speakers set to small. Bass out sub only. What's the general consensus when using full range towers? Should I set the fronts to large and bass out to both the sub and mains? I have an older Yamaha 5.1, so there's no auto audio setup, like I've seen on the newer Onkyo receivers. Not much of an audiophile , so I'm trying to find that right balance. I have thought about downgrading to a smaller powered sub, now that I have towers in place.

Personally, I would set the mains to full range and would turn the sub down a bit. You can try both ways and see which way works better for you.
Pay special attention to mid-range, not just bass. Full-range speakers usually produce a more natural sound when listening to music or background sounds in a movie. Explosive action can be handled by subs and satellites just fine. But quiet scenes and background music are better handled by full-range speakers.

In my small HT room I have large Bookshelf JBL's and small surround and center speakers with a 8" self powered sub (had small front speakers) it sounds a lot better with the JBL's (set for large front & small surrounds (7.1 Denon receiver) . (also have older 100 watt receiver powering Aura Shakers)

I use full range speakers in front with a good sub. I do as you suggest and select 'large' or 'full' for the main speakers. This diverts some of the bass from the center to the mains. As Ilya mentions, the full range speakers give a more natural sound. Turning the sub down a bit is a good idea, but you also want to adjust the cutoff frequency on the sub itself to a lower frequency. I'm still playing with mine, but somewhere around 70 Hz seems to be working best so far. That way, you can run a higher level on the sub and get that low bass pounding, but use the mains for the upper bass and get a more natural soundstage.

Thanks everyone. Definitely sounds better with the towers set to large. ( Full Range ) Need to play around with the sub. Has 4 settings: 55, 80, 100, and 144 Hz. Bouncing between 55 and 80 , to see which sounds the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts