Need some professional advice...

Jared Twomey

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 7, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I have only gotten into satellite radio recently. I install satellite tv, internet, and have installed radios in businesses.... but this is a little different.
Ok, here is my situation. I now also work in a large factory style building (postal distribution center). Because it is a postal building it is a secured building with no windows, and the only useable door is the front one (there are emergency exits but those cant be opened). I can get a wire outside for a satellite antenna. There are at least 7 or 8 employees there that want to be able to listen to their satellite radios inside the building.... most of them (including myself) have MyFi's.
Is there any product out there, or anything I can rig up, to rebroadcast the signal inside the building. I have looked at Delphi's repeater system, but according to their documentation the MyFi has to be in a dock hooked to the "repeater's" antenna. First question.. is that true, anyway to make a MyFi work wirelessly indoors? And no, there is not an XM terrestrial antenna anywhere near here. The closest is over 100 miles away.
Second part of the question.... any ideas or suggestions? I'm even open to off-the-wall ideas. I have a group of co-workers willing to pay for whatever to make this thing work. And i need to do something soon, as Baseball season starts soon.
Any ideas please throw em out there....

Thanks guys

You have two options that I know of. Use the home repeater and dock it. Or pay XM to install an actual repeater outside your building and use it wirelessly. The first option is cheaper :)

The reason it needs to be docked is because the Home reapter changes the xm signal to a different frequency and the home repeater antennas then convert it to a signal the receiver can use.

Although I guess if you really wanted to you could rig up some sort of contraption to make the home reapter portable. You would just need to supply it power and duct tape the antenna to the myfi.

yeah, from what i've read the repeater turns into a 900 mhz frequency... i've also read (dont know for sure that its true) that the terrestrial signal is also 900 mhz.... wish xm would release something that transfer the signal into the terrestrial signal for the consumer. just think of the possibilities.... factorys, offices, gyms.... come on xm....

Not sure how large the sort facility is, I worked as a casual in the summer time working night shifts at a place that WAS HUGE and I mostly worked at the loading dock so it was a little easier to get "outside".

Wondering if some sort of FM Transmitter (some what "tweaked") that would allow for at least partial coverage... then all you would need is a simple fm radio/headset - ALL of the people would also share only 1 channel selection at 1 time.

coud even play with directional atenna's that would allow "some" amplification as broadcasting in that freq range too high is an FCC violation.

Other than that - gotta go with the other solutions of possible repeaters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)