Need suggestion for Slimline mounting pole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I rarely venture into the Directv forums since I'm a Dish Network/OTA/FTA/OTT guy, but recently a friend gave me their old Slimline dish and I'm in the process of retrofitting it for Ku use. I have an LNB that fits the dish perfectly, but I don't have any J-poles that are big enough to work with this dish. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Not sure if I should get a "stub" like I've seen mounted with these, or a traditional J-pole.

IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

I believe its 1 7/8th that actually fits it .... If your gonna go the J mount option, get the regular size one, you'll have more to work with.
Otherwise, a Muffler shop or a Fence company will have that size posts.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Here is a good source. (Commercial 2" Chain Link Fence Posts)
Typical 16 gauge tubing works great.
Site also has 14 gauge and Sch 40 if you want maximum strength.
2 " OD tubing in any length you want.
I typically get 8' and bury 2 to 3 feet in concrete after smashing flat the end and placing 2 or so threaded screws 2 to 3 inches through end to prevent twisting

.065 Wall Round Chain Link Posts and Pipes

Doctor j

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Problem is the 2" poles are really 1 7/8".
No they are not
2" OD
1 7/8" is the diameter of the inside tube plus 2 x .065 wall thickness
Outside edge to edge is 2.00 inches
I have used many of these and have measured with micrometer

Doctor j

It will work, ya just tighten it down a bit more and possibly throw a screw into it to be sure.
You are best off putting some flashing on the pole. Otherwise you can get a little bit of wobble to the dish, not good!

Chip, you ever bump into your dish ?
Once your aligned, you can pretty much shake the dish and you won't lose signal.
True, but if your pole is smaller than the mount, it's only touching where the bolt to tighten is and the back side of the pole from that bolt. That's not the best.

True, but if your pole is smaller than the mount, it's only touching where the bolt to tighten is and the back side of the pole from that bolt. That's not the best.
That size difference isn't all that much if you tighten the bolts down tight, it will be fine .
I have a 16' pole mine is on. 2" galvanized schedule 40 pipe I got from the local fence post company, set it up in 2001 and has been great ever since.
Fwiw, its supported to the house just below the roof line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)