Need to find Telstar5 - please help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

aldenes

Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I have a 30" dish with a Rex receiver. It is pointed to true south, verified with reception of 119 which here in Los Angeles is only 0.8 degrees west of true south.
I was able to accidentaly tune once into Telstar 5 but have no idea how I did it. I was then able to search and watch all channels I was interested in.

Can't find Telstar 5 since then. Can anybody tell me what settings should have when I look for this one at 97? In other words I know that I used USALS last time I found it and it worked, I just had to adjust a little bit east-west for peaking the signal. So I know I have the antenna pointed in the right place since I use the same reference point in USALS (119W, which I can tune into) but cannot see signal on Telstar 5.

I hope it's not total nonsense.....:confused:

I know it all works and that I'm on the correct polar mount because I've seen Telstar5 before. But I don't know what transponder / key to search for when moving the dish (using either USALS or Diseqc)

Thanks for your reply in advance. Your help is appreciated

I would enter the coordinates of a known LIVE TP/Channel and use DiSEqC 1.2 to nudge over until you see signal quality, then number and store the position.

What kind of LNBF are you using since you where aiming at a DBS satellite for true south?

Might actually be 121 since it has the same transponders and symbol rates.

(Transponder minus appropriate LO is the same for both, the actual frequencies aren't)

Some things to note when finding sats. One getting a signal meter helps. The are cheap and the sponsers sell them. Two when looking at the sky the sats are NOT in a straight line. If you face south the sats to the left are higher then the ones to the right. So if you are on 119 the dish elv is higher, points up more, for 97W since it is to the left. Also note you need to the dish 22 degrees to the left. To make this even more fun some dish elv markings are off a bit. If you note the elv you are at now you can figure if the dish you have is off and by how much. I wish I could find a pic to show this. I did find one showing some in the clark belt around the world.

Good luck and keep us posted.

OK The motor will do all the elv stuff for you. A signal meter will alert you as you hit each sat.

aldenes said:
I have a 30" dish with a Rex receiver. It is pointed to true south, verified with reception of 119 which here in Los Angeles is only 0.8 degrees west of true south.
I was able to accidentaly tune once into Telstar 5 but have no idea how I did it. I was then able to search and watch all channels I was interested in.
Can't find Telstar 5 since then. Can anybody tell me what settings should have when I look for this one at 97? In other words I know that I used USALS last time I found it and it worked, I just had to adjust a little bit east-west for peaking the signal. So I know I have the antenna pointed in the right place since I use the same reference point in USALS (119W, which I can tune into) but cannot see signal on Telstar 5.
I hope it's not total nonsense.....:confused:
I know it all works and that I'm on the correct polar mount because I've seen Telstar5 before. But I don't know what transponder / key to search for when moving the dish (using either USALS or Diseqc)
Thanks for your reply in advance. Your help is appreciated

Attachments

• clark.gif
    clark.gif
    185.6 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
ken2400 said:
I wish I could find a pic to show this. I did find one showing some in the clark belt around the world.

Ken,

Where did you find this image of the Clarke belt? It's the best that I've ever seen. I did a google image search, but didn't find this one.
Thanks,
Tim

PSB said:
If you like that one check this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pete - Thanks! I agree with Jeff. THIS is the best one that I've ever seen. I've been looking for about a month and never came across anything nearly as good. Thank you.
Aldnes- I hope that I didn't hijack your post. Good luck with your setup :)

Last edited:
Makes a GREAT color poster, it can be blown WAY up in size then printed out :)

Google image search. "Clarke belt satellite"
Thanks for the pdf PBS

123tim said:
Ken,
Where did you find this image of the Clarke belt? It's the best that I've ever seen. I did a google image search, but didn't find this one.
Thanks,
Tim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts